GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,414
0 members and 2,414 guests
No Members online

Old 02-24-2014, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Advice!! Should I rush next year?

Hi,
So I'm currently a sophomore going to RU, and just went through Formal Recruitment this spring. (I didn't go through Formal during my freshman year because I was too nervous and hesitant to go through with it.) I'm a somewhat of a shy person, but tried my best to talk with the girls, and felt I had pretty good conversation with them. Unfortunately, I only got called back to XYZ for Philanthropy day, and got a call saying I was not invited to any parties for Preference day. A sorority was colonizing on my campus so I attended the interviews and recruitment events and again was rejected by that sorority.

I'm at a state where I want to go through rush again but don't know if I should. Since I will be a junior next year I don't know if I should go through informal recruitment, since not all sororities participate in it, and not sure how it works.

It'd be great if you guys could also tell what kind of things to talk about or how to keep a conversation going, since I think I lack in that field. :P
Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by amh098; 09-18-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-24-2014, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh098 View Post
Hi,
So I'm currently a sophomore going to Rutgers University, and just went through Formal Recruitment this spring. (I didn't go through Formal during my freshman year because I was too nervous and hesitant to go through with it.) I'm a somewhat of a shy person, but tried my best to talk with the girls, and felt I had pretty good conversation with them. Unfortunately, I only got called back to XYZ for Philanthropy day, and got a call saying I was not invited to any parties for Preference day. A sorority was colonizing on my campus so I attended the interviews and recruitment events and again was rejected by that sorority.

I'm at a state where I want to go through rush again but don't know if I should. Since I will be a junior next year I don't know if I should go through informal recruitment, since not all sororities participate in it, and not sure how it works.

It'd be great if you guys could also tell what kind of things to talk about or how to keep a conversation going, since I think I lack in that field. :P
Thanks in Advance.
If you think you can handle potential rejection again then I would advise you to go through informal recruitment. The worst that can happen is your ego is a little bruised and you're in the exact same position you were in before. Keep in mind that the new colony will inevitably have some girls drop out, so they may have spots available at some point. Don't assume that you have an automatic in just because they're new, though (not that it sounds like you would do that from the tone of your post but just as a general caution). Also keep in mind that juniors are not usually as desirable simply because they'll be there for fewer years, so if there's any chance you'll be staying on campus for even an extra semester don't hesitate to mention that.

As for conversations, the best way to get better is to practice! Chat with the people sitting next to you in classes, in line when you're getting food, whenever you feel like it would be received well. If you're going to be working a summer job in any kind of service industry you will have many opportunities for light small talk that will be perfect practice for recruitment. Have information about yourself down without sounding robotic, since you'll be asked the same basic questions over and over again: you know you'll be asked where you're from, your major, etc. By the time I hit the second day of the first round I could describe myself quickly and memorably. I won't comment on informal recruitment since that's not how I joined and my chapter didn't do it, but that sounds like your best bet for Greek Life at this point.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
If you think you can handle potential rejection again then I would advise you to go through informal recruitment. The worst that can happen is your ego is a little bruised and you're in the exact same position you were in before. Keep in mind that the new colony will inevitably have some girls drop out, so they may have spots available at some point. Don't assume that you have an automatic in just because they're new, though (not that it sounds like you would do that from the tone of your post but just as a general caution). Also keep in mind that juniors are not usually as desirable simply because they'll be there for fewer years, so if there's any chance you'll be staying on campus for even an extra semester don't hesitate to mention that.
Yes this. I would agree, if you are willing to open yourself up to potential rejection I would say go for it, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Also, get involved in some other activities if you aren't already. Sororities like to see women with diverse interests. Also if you're not doing any volunteer work, perhaps look into doing something along those lines as well.

I totally understand being shy, I am quite shy myself especially around people I don't know. I also tend to get lost in a crowd full of people. I know it can be daunting to go up to total strangers and converse with them. Keep this in mind as well, recruitment is all about talking to new people and its sort of a safe space to make small chit chat so hopefully that will provide some comfort. Also something to keep in mind too, for the members of the sorority it can be a nerve wracking time for them too, finding things to talk about, making a positive impression upon those PNMs.

Practice small talk, and also think of some things that might make you stand out so they will remember you. Like for example, I spent the summer in Spain etc. etc.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

There are all sorts of recruitment threads stickied in the recruitment forum that would probably answer a lot of your questions. Here is the link to one that has to do with the importance of conversation and personality during recruitment:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=99720
Old 02-25-2014, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

My old lady advise is-- go through recruitment in Fall knowing that your chances are slimmer than if you are a freshman while keeping in mind that a slim chance is a far greater chance than the zero chance you have if you don't go through recruitment.

If you go through again and do not receive a bid, you can look at what you did or did not do (those things that you are aware happened/did not happen) and use them as a personal training tool for future job interviews. The more you practice, the better you get.

DaffyKD