GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,197
3 members and 1,194 guests
lauralaylin, naraht, PGD-GRAD

Old 01-15-2012, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphatausc View Post
I'd have to disagree with you on UNC. UNC is pretty decent greek wise with as much tradition as any SEC school. I would actually venture to say that UNC greek life is very similar to an SEC school. Now for Duke and Elon, no probably not the case. As for the OP's question...I've got no expertise on your situation. But man oh man, I'd really wish you'd think long and hard about wanting to join a fraternity. Pledgeship is hard enough when you're straight.
Hmm...

Old 01-15-2012, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'd have to disagree with you on UNC. UNC is pretty decent greek wise with as much tradition as any SEC school. I would actually venture to say that UNC greek life is very similar to an SEC school.
a) LOL at "decent greek wise with as much tradition as any SEC school." Lots of schools are "decent greekwise" and have lots of tradition and are still different from SEC schools.

b) I've got 30+ years of familiarity with campus culture, including Greek life, at UNC. I stand by my assessment that things are different in various ways from SEC schools.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
a) LOL at "decent greek wise with as much tradition as any SEC school." Lots of schools are "decent greekwise" and have lots of tradition and are still different from SEC schools.

b) I've got 30+ years of familiarity with campus culture, including Greek life, at UNC. I stand by my assessment that things are different in various ways from SEC schools.
I thought my "decent greek wise with as much tradition as any SEC school" was funny too. In fact, I was laughing so hard I broke a rib....

So let me get this right, (not doubting your 30+ years of familiarity with UNC greek life), since Texas A & M and Missouri will be entering into the SEC, by your logic, their Greek Life will change. Since it is now, an SEC school.

I stand by my assessment that schools outside of the SEC can have large, tradition based, very conservative Greek Life Communities.

And I also stand by my assessment that even if the Greek Life Communities at various conference schools were vastly different, the national Glo's themselves would not be that vastly different per state. So a large Clemson and a large USC fraternity would be basically similar in who they target. Am I not close? Or would a Baylor, Texas, SMU, and TCU fraternity be so different that one would offer a bid to a homosexual PNM and the other have no intention of even thinking about it?
Old 01-16-2012, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
the national Glo's themselves would not be that vastly different per state. Or would a Baylor, Texas, SMU, and TCU fraternity be so different that one would offer a bid to a homosexual PNM and the other have no intention of even thinking about it?
I knew of openly gay men in Beta Theta Pi and Sigma Chi at Illinois. This was a decade ago, too. If you think those groups wouldn't give gay men bids at SEC schools, it is most definitely not the same at all schools, or even at all large Greek schools.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I knew of openly gay men in Beta Theta Pi and Sigma Chi at Illinois. This was a decade ago, too. If you think those groups wouldn't give gay men bids at SEC schools, it is most definitely not the same at all schools, or even at all large Greek schools.
I actually don't think Sigma Chi would give bids to gay men at an SEC school, so I don't know if we agree or disagree. And Illinois has different political views than your SEC states. I used Texas and SC as examples because they are both states that are predominantly conservative. SC being very conservative. But North Carolina is also a very conservative state, is it not? So, just based on that, I would say the Greek Life at NC overall carries a conservative view, which would mean extending a bid to a homosexual PNM is out of the question. I'm not bashing the OP's preferences, I just don't know how a "southern fraternity" at NC would view a homosexual PNM. When I hear someone say "southern fraternity", I think of the Southern Triad (KA, EN, and ATO) and SAE. And based on my experiences, I would say that the Big 4, when it comes to "southern fraternities", would not extend a bid to him.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I actually don't think Sigma Chi would give bids to gay men at an SEC school, so I don't know if we agree or disagree. And Illinois has different political views than your SEC states. I used Texas and SC as examples because they are both states that are predominantly conservative. SC being very conservative. But North Carolina is also a very conservative state, is it not? So, just based on that, I would say the Greek Life at NC overall carries a conservative view, which would mean extending a bid to a homosexual PNM is out of the question. I'm not bashing the OP's preferences, I just don't know how a "southern fraternity" at NC would view a homosexual PNM. When I hear someone say "southern fraternity", I think of the Southern Triad (KA, EN, and ATO) and SAE. And based on my experiences, I would say that the Big 4, when it comes to "southern fraternities", would not extend a bid to him.
You do not speak for all southerners, nor do you speak for all SEC greeks. You're embarrassing yourself. I also think you might be surprised to find that the "Big 4" have gay brothers. It's happened. It's even happened in the SEC. Grow up.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
You do not speak for all southerners, nor do you speak for all SEC greeks. You're embarrassing yourself. I also think you might be surprised to find that the "Big 4" have gay brothers. It's happened. It's even happened in the SEC. Grow up.
Yeah, ok. You got me.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah, ok. You got me.
I hope you realize that GLBT individuals exist in all GLOs, "Big 4" or otherwise.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I hope you realize that GLBT individuals exist in all GLOs, "Big 4" or otherwise.
And that I'm not disagreeing with.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And that I'm not disagreeing with.
Quote:

Old 01-16-2012, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
In the SEC. Tell me Alabama has homosexual brothers in the Big 4. Tell me SC has brothers in the Big 4. Tell me Ole Miss has them, or Arky, or UGA, or UF, or Vandy, or Miss. State, or Tenn., or LSU, or...You get the point. I don't believe they do.

But the OP is talking about NC, Duke, and Elon. And its pretty obvious that due to the political correct world we now find ourselves living in, monkeys will be the next ones to be initiated into fraternities. How dare we exclude monkeys. I must go tell my fraternity brothers that we must now initiate monkeys because not doing so would be non-politically correct and thus immature.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
In the SEC. Tell me Alabama has homosexual brothers in the Big 4. Tell me SC has brothers in the Big 4. Tell me Ole Miss has them, or Arky, or UGA, or UF, or Vandy, or Miss. State, or Tenn., or LSU, or...You get the point. I don't believe they do.

But the OP is talking about NC, Duke, and Elon. And its pretty obvious that due to the political correct world we now find ourselves living in, monkeys will be the next ones to be initiated into fraternities. How dare we exclude monkeys. I must go tell my fraternity brothers that we must now initiate monkeys because not doing so would be non-politically correct and thus immature.
Just because someone isn't walking around with glitter and Lady Gaga on his iPod doesn't mean he isn't a homosexual. If you think they are non-existent, just wait until after graduation.

And really? Monkeys? That's the next logical step after "OMG WE'RE LETTING IN TEH GAYS"?

Old 01-16-2012, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Remember that lake I told you to jump in? Make sure it's deep and you tie an anvil to your leg first.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Remember that lake I told you to jump in? Make sure it's deep and you tie an anvil to your leg first.
Now that's not politically correct. Shame on you.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Just because you don't believe it, doesn't make it untrue.

What will satisfy you? Names? Initiation dates? I am an SEC sorority alumna, for what its worth.

ETA: MONKEYS? What the hell, dude?

Last edited by amIblue?; 01-16-2012 at 02:31 PM.