GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,895
1 members and 1,894 guests
No Members online

Old 06-30-2002, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RxyChrldr
ROTC and sorority life?

Hey y'all...I have been thinking for quite some time that I want to be involved in Military Life, and it has come to my attention that ROTC may be the perfect opportunity to do so. My older bro went to the US Naval Academy and is now a Naval Aviator, and so I used to dream about following in his footsteps and going to the Naval Academy (and cheerleading for Navy too, of course! ). I decided by the end of high school that this would not be the best option for me because I wanted to experience all of college life, rather than the strictly regimented military lifestyle at the Academy. I'm wondering if any of you have experience with the ROTC programs at your colleges, especially if you're also involved in Greek Life and how that balances out. Thanks, guys!

RxyChrldr
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-30-2002, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

We don't have ROTC at our school, but I did run across a military sorority on the internet. It is the ONLY sorority offered to all branches of the military and they do have a brother fraternity. The sorority is called Sigma Phi Psi and the Fraternity is Omega Delta Sigma. Their purpose seems to be to provide brother and sisterhood to its members as they move from base to base and country to country.

Here is the link to the sorority and you can also click on the fraternity from there.
http://www.sigmaphipsi.org/index1.html
Old 06-30-2002, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RxyChrldr
Thanks for that info, but i'm actually already in a sorority and was more wondering how people who are involved in the Greek system deal with also being in ROTC.
Old 07-01-2002, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

there a few guys in fraternities here that are in the reserves or served in the military before. one guy in my frat was in the ROTC program here until he broke his neck. He didn't seem to have any trouble balancing the two orgs.
Old 07-01-2002, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

At least two of my sisters are in the ROTC program, one in Air Force and the other in Army. They seem to be able to balance both, without becoming ghost sisters.

It depends, though. My old roomate is in the Navy branch and she has her own ROTC friends and socials and the way she describes it to me, it takes up as much of her time as my sorority takes of mine.

It can be done.

Last edited by ROWDYsister; 07-01-2002 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-01-2002, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Not to discourage you, but one of my chapter sisters is involved with ROTC at our university and a semester after initiating into Alpha Phi, she no longer could be an active sister; ROTC took up too much of her time. ROTC and sororities differ from place to place, so if that's what you want to do, I wish you the best, but know that it will take some heavy time management. Best of luck!
Old 07-01-2002, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

One of my friends in another sorority was in ROTC and she was able to still remain pretty active in her chapter. But like SATX*APhi said, it varies from place to place. I hope everything works out for you!
Old 07-01-2002, 02:17 AM

If, after considering ROTC, you decide you can't juggle it along with your DG duties, you might want to look into the Navy's program where you can earn a commission after you graduate from college.

Darned if I can remember what in the heck the program is called though!!!! Your brother would probably know or could find out if you want to ask him, though.
Old 07-01-2002, 08:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to Angels&Arrows
I had two sisters that were members of ROTC. One was in Army ROTC, the other was in Air Force ROTC.

While it was time consuming, they managed to juggle both and keep excellant GPAs. Amanda (Army) was on our exec board one semster.

One served four years and is now in Law school at LSU. The other is a Capt. in the Army.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:29 AM
Ginger

I don't know of any girls in our greek system that were in ROTC, but I knew quite a few fraternity guys (my ex was one of them) that were also in ROTC and were able to remain very active.

It all comes back to every greek's favourite two words:

Time Management.