GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,561
2 members and 1,559 guests
Xidelt

Old 01-09-2012, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveMaroon View Post
I just finished Ready Player One by Ernest Cline - I HIGHLY recommend it - kind of science fiction meets Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
I love love loved this book. Second favorite of 2011 after 11/22/63 (Stephen King's newest).

I'm on a Neal Stephenson kick right now. Finished Reamde, currently reading Snow Crash and Anathem is sitting on my kitchen table waiting for its turn.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-09-2012, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
I started reading "Picking Cotton" over the holidays. When I bought it I didn't realize it took place in my state about two hours up the road (where I went to college). I had to stop reading it because it freaked me out and kept me up all night. Woosy, I know, but I'm 127lbs and live by myself.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to knoxie13
I just read The Fault in Our Stars, by John Green. Without a doubt one of the best books I've ever read. I highly recommend it.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I am currently reading River, Cross My Heart (1999) by Breena Clarke. It was an Oprah's Book Club selection. It reminds me of Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston, a classic. Since I always read more than one book at the same time, I am also rereading Mandarin by Robert Elegant. The first two books I recommend highly, the last one is for anybody that likes historical romances.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Last books I read:

Please Look After Mom by Shin Kyong-sook (for book club). So SO sad. Good read. Dynamic in just being full of emotion.
Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson. Very clearly a debut novel and even with that said, a good read... right up until the end. I predicted the ending about 2/3 of the way through (the cliche "duh, he's TOTALLY the killer") and the resolution didnt make a lot of sense from a medical perspective.

I'm no medical professional, but I feel like writers take lots of liberties with characters having amnesia and convienent memory.

Anyway, now re(rereading) Gregory Parks African American Fraternities and Sororities. I remember reading it before I became a member and I have way different context and respect for the content 6 years later. If you're interested in the history of greek life beyond Phi Beta Kappa at W&L and the history of higher education, good times. Definintely dense but gets me through subway commute.

Last edited by tld221; 01-12-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I read 3/4 of it and stopped. I got tired of his belching. Maybe I'll have to go back and finish it since it would be nice to say I actually read the whole thing. What did he call his GI problem? I've blanked out on that.
Oh, his pyloric valve issues. Gross!
Old 01-14-2012, 08:27 AM
GreekChat Member

just finished:

Church Folk - Michele Bowen
How to Make Black America Better - Tavis Smiley
The Justus Girls - Evelyn Lambright
Things Fall Apart - Chinua Achebe
The Emperor of Ocean Park - Stephen L. Carter

reading now:

What the Night Knows - Dean Koontz
More - Austin Clarke
Old 01-14-2012, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbino View Post
I am currently reading River, Cross My Heart (1999) by Breena Clarke. It was an Oprah's Book Club selection. It reminds me of Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston, a classic. Since I always read more than one book at the same time, I am also rereading Mandarin by Robert Elegant. The first two books I recommend highly, the last one is for anybody that likes historical romances.
I also loved River, Cross My Heart. tragic beginning.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

I have Joy by Victoria Christopher Murray, on backorder. has anyone read it?
Old 01-15-2012, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDLynn View Post
Just finshed Through a Dark Mist by Marsha Canham.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...gh_a_Dark_Mist

I have downloaded the next 2 books in the trilogy, In the Shadow of Midnight and The Last Arrow for my next Nook Books.
I have only read Bound by the Heart by her, but I really enjoyed it. It was almost a pirate romance story. Almost. Not really. But it was really good and I would recommend it. I'd lend it but you've got a Nook, not a Kindle. drat!

I finished reading "Room" by Emma Donoghue a few days ago and wow. What an interesting book. If you haven't checked that out, I'd highly recommend. It is told through the eyes of 5-year old Jack, who has spent his whole life in Room, with his mother. He never knew Outside existed or was real. Plant is real, Bed is real, Rug is real, Animals are real, but only Ant and Mouse, Dogs and Cats are just TV. What a book.

I will say that it is a little hard to understand at first, because we view the world as the whole thing that it is, but Jack only knows Room. It makes what he is describing a little difficult to read at first, but after the first few chapters, you will be enveloped in his way of thinking and his existence, contained to a single Room.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
I know what you mean. I've tried to read A Confederacy of Dunces several times now, and just can't get through it. I want to like it, I just can't.

I'm planning on starting The Help soon. It's been on the To Read list, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
I read that late last year. After growing up on the Gulf Coast, I was constantly told how great a book it was...I finally made time to read it and I was like, "this is it?" The guy just seemed so disgusting to me!

The Help is fantastic. I read it pretty much in one sitting.
I love Confederacy of Dunces, but can see where others don't like it.

I'm in the middle of The Art of Fielding. So far, so good.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I just finished "Falling Star" by Diana Dempsey. It was a free Kindle read or I probably wouldn't have picked it up. Not the best book I've read and I wanted to know how I ended but I wasn't compelled to read it all the time, so it was slow going. It would make a good mini TV series or Lifetime style movie though.

As far as currently reading, I finally got the first two books of the Millenium series out of the library, but I'm actually having trouble getting into "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." Maybe I haven't gotten far enough into it yet or I was just distracted from reading at the DMV. Not sure but it hasn't pulled me in yet.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Denver Cereal series and The Fey on Nook.

very addicting!
Old 01-29-2012, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I just finished Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim, a.k.a. Nellie Oleson from Little House on the Prairie. Hilarious and harrowing—she went through some awful stuff as a child.

LOVE A Confederacy of Dunces. The first time I read it, I did it in one sitting. I think you have to have a certain sense of humor to appreciate it—to me it's like a print version of a John Waters movie. Plus, I'm a native of New Orleans, and John Kennedy Toole depicted it to a T.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm currently reading The Rook. Sort of a CIA meets Supernatural type of novel. Got great reviews and I find it interesting. Certainly not the page turner I thought it would be. I'm starting Cleopatra's Daughter next.