GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,439
0 members and 2,439 guests
No Members online

Old 08-11-2008, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

As if the process weren't stressful enough on all concerned! Hang in there girls!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-12-2008, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Where are all the Auburn pnm Mom's? Usually we have a boatload of them. I wonder how everyone is doing this week? Looks like thunderstorms are heading into Alabama today.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Old 08-12-2008, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

My daughter is rushing at AU this week as well. She texted me a little while ago and told me she only got invited back to 4 parties. Her roommate only got invited back to 6. They are sophmore transfer students but very smart, well spoken, sweet, classy, well dressed and pretty girls. I could tell she was disappointed and now I'm wishing she hadn't rushed at all. Be honest with me, with only 4 invites going in to the philanthropy round, what kind of chance does she have to get a bid? When are the next cuts made?
Old 08-12-2008, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

^ cuts are made every round. I could be wrong, but I don't think an invite to only 4 parties = impending doom. There's a possibility that all or some of those houses will invite her to the next rounds.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnMom08 View Post
My daughter is rushing at AU this week as well. She texted me a little while ago and told me she only got invited back to 4 parties. Her roommate only got invited back to 6. They are sophmore transfer students but very smart, well spoken, sweet, classy, well dressed and pretty girls. I could tell she was disappointed and now I'm wishing she hadn't rushed at all. Be honest with me, with only 4 invites going in to the philanthropy round, what kind of chance does she have to get a bid? When are the next cuts made?
AuburnMom-

Hang in there. Unfortunately no one here can tell you about her "chances."

As an FYI- Kappa Alpha Theta will be colonizing at Auburn in the spring, and new colonies are always looking for upperclassmen to balance out a freshman class. Not to say that there are any guarantees with anything, but at least know there is another option to pursue if your daughter does not find what she is looking for this week.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I feel like one of those weird crazy pageant moms for even asking but I just want to get an idea of what to expect so I can be prepared for what comes next and know how to best talk to her and give her realistic support. I know every mom says this but she is a really sweet girl, she doesn't think she's a big deal and she's not one of those who go in thinking they're too good for certain GLO's.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I feel like one of those weird crazy pageant moms for even asking
If you're worrying that you are one, that means you aren't one.

Their sophomore status probably did hurt them a bit, but they still have several chapters to choose from - and this way they can focus on what they like about those chapters without getting their heads turned at a group where they might not have had as good of a chance.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

"Sasha", my neighbor, texted her mom this morning that she had 14 invitations back this morning. We are breathing easier for about 24 hours! Obviously Sasha is not her name---this was my favorite cat!
From my own college days at a large university, I know that the first days of recruitment can be a roll of the dice as to some of the pnms. If you are not identified from your recs and record as a pnm of great interest, you fall into the "let's take a look and see how it shakes out with the numbers" category. I think that upperclassmen in particular have a burden. They have been in college for at least a year, and their record there is examined. If their participation on campus is not really good, that is a mark against them, and the grades have to be stellar. They not only have to stand out in the crop of pnms going through, they have to compare favorably with the upperclassmen who are already members--and they are the ones deciding! We pledged only one or two sophomores a year. This is not to say that an upperclassman should not go through recruitment, but it is to say that they must be very very realistic as to their grades and record on campus.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
While I don't have any experience with Auburn's recruitment process/numbers just try to keep in mind, and perhaps try to instill it in your daughter as well if you have the chance, that it doesn't take a huge number of invites, it only takes one house.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

SoChiO...there were only 12 possible invitations today. No way she had 14. Straight from the panhellenic website: Tuesday, August 12 During this round, each PNM visits up to 12 chapters. There are in 14 party times, so each PNM will sit out at least two party times.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
SoChiO...there were only 12 possible invitations today. No way she had 14. Straight from the panhellenic website: Tuesday, August 12 During this round, each PNM visits up to 12 chapters. There are in 14 party times, so each PNM will sit out at least two party times.
It could be that "Sasha" was invited back to 14 chapters, from which she had to choose 12 parties to attend. Not sure if that's the way things are done down at Auburn, but that would be my guess given the info from the panhellenic website.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to Angels&Arrows
Quote:

There are 16 chapters at Auburn. It is possible (though rare) to be invited back to all 16 chapters after Ice Water Teas, for Philanthropy. A PNM may only attend 12 parties over the course of two days for Philanthropy. If a PNM is invited back to 13 or more chapters, than the PNM will need to decline one or more invitations until their list is at 12 chapters.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Ohhh ok. Gotcha.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, absolutely, this is what happened. Sasha was invited back to 14 of the 16, and she will attend twelve. Good luck to Sasha and to all the pnms---and a lot of philanthropies will gain from the next two days.