GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,411
2 members and 1,409 guests
KDKells, Xidelt

Old 03-18-2018, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
House hunting is the dumps....put in offers every weekend. Every Monday, not under contract.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-22-2018, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

I met a Phi Sigma Sigma today. Sweet girl.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

*peaks in* Hello?
Old 03-30-2018, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
*peaks in* Hello?
Hey, HI!!! stranger. What's been going on? Long time no see.

WIFLSRN: having small bones is a liability. Pair that with a history of cigarette smoking and poor nutrition (underweight) and what do you get? Most recent DEXA scan shows osteoporosis in the hips. DAMN. It's been coming on since I broke my leg unexpectedly in my early 40s. Sigh.

Well, I'll deal with it. Just, DAMN.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
I had a job interview today for a photo editor position. Hope I get it.
Didn't get it but a new opportunity opened up.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:23 AM

I thought the Connecticut DMV was horrible.

It is the epitome of efficiency compared to the Louisiana OMV.

CT DMV: As soon as you enter, someone greets you, asks what you are there to accomplish, makes sure you have the requisite documents, and either (a) gives you a number (and there are different queues depending on the complexity of your situation - a driver's license renewal, an out-of-state conversion, etc.) or (b) tells you right up front that you are missing documents that you need and sends you away to go get them. In the latter case, you know within less than 5 minutes that you can't (say) convert your out-of-state license because you didn't bring proof of your new address, so you can leave and come back later with it.

LA OMV: You enter and take a ticket. Yes, they have the same take-a-number machines you see at delis and such. If you're lucky, you sit and wait. If you're unlucky, you stand and wait. If you're very lucky, someone gives up waiting and decides to leave and hands over their number to you because you're a pretty lady who's been chatting and commiserating with them. (I was very lucky. ) When your number is called - in maybe three hours, if you are extremely lucky - you go to the window, tell the OMV worker what you want to accomplish, and then (and only then) you get processed. If you are missing a document you need, tough sh!t, you've just wasted three hours and you have to go get the document and go back and take a number and go through the whole process again.

CT DMV: Offices are open late on Thursdays and are open on Saturdays.

LA OMV: Offices are open M-F 8-4. If you have to go there in person (such as for an out-of-state license conversion) and you have a M-F 8:30-6 job, you have to take time off work.

CT DMV: Will help you register to vote.

LA OMV: Won't (even though they're supposed to).

*sigh*

However, I am now officially a Louisiana resident.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
I thought the Connecticut DMV was horrible.

It is the epitome of efficiency compared to the Louisiana OMV.

CT DMV: As soon as you enter, someone greets you, asks what you are there to accomplish, makes sure you have the requisite documents, and either (a) gives you a number (and there are different queues depending on the complexity of your situation - a driver's license renewal, an out-of-state conversion, etc.) or (b) tells you right up front that you are missing documents that you need and sends you away to go get them. In the latter case, you know within less than 5 minutes that you can't (say) convert your out-of-state license because you didn't bring proof of your new address, so you can leave and come back later with it.

LA OMV: You enter and take a ticket. Yes, they have the same take-a-number machines you see at delis and such. If you're lucky, you sit and wait. If you're unlucky, you stand and wait. If you're very lucky, someone gives up waiting and decides to leave and hands over their number to you because you're a pretty lady who's been chatting and commiserating with them. (I was very lucky. ) When your number is called - in maybe three hours, if you are extremely lucky - you go to the window, tell the OMV worker what you want to accomplish, and then (and only then) you get processed. If you are missing a document you need, tough sh!t, you've just wasted three hours and you have to go get the document and go back and take a number and go through the whole process again.

CT DMV: Offices are open late on Thursdays and are open on Saturdays.

LA OMV: Offices are open M-F 8-4. If you have to go there in person (such as for an out-of-state license conversion) and you have a M-F 8:30-6 job, you have to take time off work.

CT DMV: Will help you register to vote.

LA OMV: Won't (even though they're supposed to).

*sigh*

However, I am now officially a Louisiana resident.
I've been to so many DMVs in my life, it's ridiculous. Of course each one in each state is different, but addressing the specific ones I've visited:

NH: Small office, basically just a room with a line out the door, mostly for people waiting in line to take their drivers test. Requests handled one by one with one or two people at a desk.

MA: Ridiculously efficient and quick. Going to this DMV was a dream! And the building was nice, open, and updated with plenty of room to move around. There were different desks set up for different services, and there were long wooden benches on which to sit and wait (for maybe 5-10 minutes). People actually looked happy there!

PA: Much like the situation you described above in LA. I took a ticket and on two different occasions was turned away for not having the right documents. I waited more than an hour and a half each time. The waiting area was a small room with chairs lined up in rows and packed in together. It was hot and miserable.

NJ: To be honest with you, I can't even remember going to the NJ DMV. Perhaps this means it was a good experience?

TX: This was one of the Houston DMVs, so it was packed! But at least there were so many employees handling requests that the wait wasn't too long. It was hot and miserable inside, but short-lived misery. They had machines at the front door where you input specifics about what you needed and it spit out a ticket (rather than PA's system where it was simply ticket A or ticket B based on a laundry list of services). TV screens were used and announcements were made when your number was called, indicating which line you should go to.

HI: The place was empty. It was in the middle of downtown Honolulu underground. I had walked by it two dozen times and didn't know it was there until I actually needed it. I was confused when Google Maps told me it was located on the sidewalk outside Wal-Mart. So I finally found it and went to get my license and they told me I had to take the written test because I was coming from out-of-state, even though their website said that was no longer a requirement. The lady didn't want to hear it. Ok, so I agreed to take the test. She said there were only two testing center DMVs on island, and that wasn't one of them. I left and never got my HI license.

Now I'm back in NJ. I'll go to that DMV soon and report back!

@~/~~~~
Old 04-03-2018, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

All this talk about DMVs is getting me nervous because I need to get a new ID pretty soon. I've been making due with an expired ID for like a year, but i just booked some out of state work travel, so I sort of need one now.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:21 PM

Psi U MC Vito, are you flying or are you driving? If you're flying, you can use your passport as ID, if you have one. If you're driving, you won't be able to rent a car with an expired license, and, if you're driving your own car and you're pulled over, you're scrod.

What do you mean by "making due" [sic] ? Using your expired ID as proof of age to buy booze or cigarettes? (I used an expired driver's license at a bar two days after my 21st birthday, and they accepted it, but that's another story.) An expired ID might get you into a bar, but it won't get you past the TSA.

If you are flying and don't have a passport or driver's license, I suggest you go to the DMV and get a non-driver ID, and ask for a "REAL ID" - most states, even Louisiana, offer it for no extra fee. You will need proof of citizenship (e.g. a US birth certificate), your Social Security card, and proof of address.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I once had to fly out of Logan the day after my ID expired (on my birthday last December), and I'd just gotten a new one done by the RIDMV so they gave me a temporary paper one while I waited for the new one to come in to the mail, so I brought my temporary paper one up to the TSA. The officer looked at it, looked at me, and asked if I had my expired plastic ID. I gave it to him and he said "unofficially, we'll take your expired ID as long as it looks like you."

So unofficially, I boarded a plane with my expired ID, but I would still get a new one for obvious reasons.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
I once had to fly out of Logan the day after my ID expired (on my birthday last December), and I'd just gotten a new one done by the RIDMV so they gave me a temporary paper one while I waited for the new one to come in to the mail, so I brought my temporary paper one up to the TSA. The officer looked at it, looked at me, and asked if I had my expired plastic ID. I gave it to him and he said "unofficially, we'll take your expired ID as long as it looks like you."

So unofficially, I boarded a plane with my expired ID, but I would still get a new one for obvious reasons.
This is why a passport comes in handy

@~/~~~~
Old 04-04-2018, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Psi U MC Vito, are you flying or are you driving? If you're flying, you can use your passport as ID, if you have one. If you're driving, you won't be able to rent a car with an expired license, and, if you're driving your own car and you're pulled over, you're scrod.

What do you mean by "making due" [sic] ? Using your expired ID as proof of age to buy booze or cigarettes? (I used an expired driver's license at a bar two days after my 21st birthday, and they accepted it, but that's another story.) An expired ID might get you into a bar, but it won't get you past the TSA.

If you are flying and don't have a passport or driver's license, I suggest you go to the DMV and get a non-driver ID, and ask for a "REAL ID" - most states, even Louisiana, offer it for no extra fee. You will need proof of citizenship (e.g. a US birth certificate), your Social Security card, and proof of address.
Flying. And my passport is also expired, and I'm in no hurry to get that renewed since I don't plan on traveling internationally in the forseeable future.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

This past Easter Sunday/April Fools Day a few neighbors had a little fun and decorated outside their homes with red-and-green blinking Christmas Lights, which stayed blinking all day and evening. One home also sported a "Santa Stop Here" sign.

That same day for our family 'Easter' dinner my sister and nephew decorated inside/outside her home with turkeys, pilgrims, pumpkins and fall leaves plus a huge "Happy Thanksgiving" sign. We ate turkey with stuffing and mashed potatoes, but she forgot the cranberries (unless they were in the berry pie we had for dessert).

No fooling!
Old 04-04-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
I once had to fly out of Logan the day after my ID expired (on my birthday last December), and I'd just gotten a new one done by the RIDMV so they gave me a temporary paper one while I waited for the new one to come in to the mail... <snip>
They didn't give you an actual plastic ID then and there? Even Louisiana does that. Inefficient as the OMV is, they did print my new plastic driver's license and hand it to me then and there.

The only time I had a paper document authorizing me to drive, was back when I had my learner's permit. This was back in the day when the road test included three-point turns, parallel parking, and avoiding roaming dinosaurs.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
They didn't give you an actual plastic ID then and there? Even Louisiana does that. Inefficient as the OMV is, they did print my new plastic driver's license and hand it to me then and there.

The only time I had a paper document authorizing me to drive, was back when I had my learner's permit. This was back in the day when the road test included three-point turns, parallel parking, and avoiding roaming dinosaurs.
I believe the only state in which I received the actual ID/license, same day, was TX. However, prior to that, the last time I updated my license was in 2010, so things might have changed.

But outside of TX, I had always received a temp paper license. Horrible for trying to get into bars.

@~/~~~~