GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Fundraising

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,215
0 members and 1,215 guests
No Members online

Old 07-20-2004, 03:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BabyP
Quote:
Originally posted by krg007tb
We (SAE's) were able to team up with the kappa sigs on campus and throw a Halloween party together at a local club that had shut down. We charged $10 at the door with all you can drink. We had to buy all the kegs beforehand, but you make more than twice you're money back. Us SAE's alone made over $1000 in one night, finished off 23 kegs in three hours, and got a great reputation from it. Not bad for 25 actives.

PS: we had all our pledges dress in camouflage pants and black shirts and work security and the bar, that way you can sit in the VIP room emptying your own keg or two. Also, it's not exactly legal to have pledges who don't officially work for the bar to serve alcohol, especially when the bar does not have a current liquor license.
is that legal?? I thought its a "no-no" to do alcohol things especially to sell without a license. arent you worried of getting caught and shut down?
Old 07-20-2004, 03:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by krg007tb
We (SAE's) were able to team up with the kappa sigs on campus and throw a Halloween party together at a local club that had shut down. We charged $10 at the door with all you can drink. We had to buy all the kegs beforehand, but you make more than twice you're money back. Us SAE's alone made over $1000 in one night, finished off 23 kegs in three hours, and got a great reputation from it. Not bad for 25 actives.

PS: we had all our pledges dress in camouflage pants and black shirts and work security and the bar, that way you can sit in the VIP room emptying your own keg or two. Also, it's not exactly legal to have pledges who don't officially work for the bar to serve alcohol, especially when the bar does not have a current liquor license.
As a friendly suggestion, dont post stuff like this on here. I would bet my next paycheck that numerous things you mentioned in your post violate your local liquor control laws, but also your fraternity's rick management policy and insurance policy.

Being an alumni advisor I can gurantee you that almost any fraternity headquarters wouldnt hesitate to come down HARD on a chapter/colony that clearly violated the laws and then posted about it on a greek message board. (I guarantee that staff from most all our headquarters know about GC and lurk around here to see whats going on).

Again, as an advisor I would urge you to follow your organizations risk management policies. It really is for your own protection. (Someone gets hurt at an illegal function, they sue you and your parents (they can if they insure you in pretty much any capacity) and if found negligable, your parents loose their house and savings. I am not BS'ing this. It happens monthly in the greek community).

I also live in the land of reality and know that undergrads arent going to follow the letter of the law. If your going to violate your risk management policies, keep it to yourself. Having been greek going on 12 years now, I'd bet that your brothers would deliver you a pretty good ass-kicking if your chapter/colony got in trouble becasue of a post you made on a bulliten board.

Final piece of advice: Delete your post and dont post again about breaking the law or policy.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to beta~chi~2004 Send a message via Yahoo to beta~chi~2004
our sorority sells sister scents candles. we also have an alum( i think) that sells avon. we sold that and got a % of what we sold. in the past they have done the hershey kiss thing and i was told that for whatever amount you got a hershey kiss.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Our chapter has around 15 members!

I am an alum now, but one event that always made up tons of money was to have a "Throw a Pie" event. We typically have this at half-time at homecoming but any time will work as well. People buy pies ( throw away pie pans with a little jello and whip cream in them) at the active members for $1.00 or $2.00 a pie.

Students, staff, faculty, and other GLO love to slam us with the messy pies!! We make anywhere between $300-$500 profit and we have tons of fun with it too! Now that we have been doing it for so long some of people pay up to $40 to throw pies in the alums faces!!

Hope these ideas help!!
Old 07-28-2005, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Can I call Mary Beth and tell her to stop spamming????!!!!!?????

Your post is against the rules of the site and your shirts are a TOTALLY inappropriate fundraiser for greek organizations.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funalum View Post
Our chapter has around 15 members!

I am an alum now, but one event that always made up tons of money was to have a "Throw a Pie" event. We typically have this at half-time at homecoming but any time will work as well. People buy pies ( throw away pie pans with a little jello and whip cream in them) at the active members for $1.00 or $2.00 a pie.

Students, staff, faculty, and other GLO love to slam us with the messy pies!! We make anywhere between $300-$500 profit and we have tons of fun with it too! Now that we have been doing it for so long some of people pay up to $40 to throw pies in the alums faces!!

Hope these ideas help!!
We did this in the dorms at my school. It was actually "Pie Your RA" and the pies were auctioned but it was the same concept. The benefit to auctioning the pies rather than selling them for a flat fee is one year, the pie for one RA went for $150 (because she was really well liked, contrary to popular belief).

Meanwhile, I was glad to see, even though it was four years ago, that a couple of people mentioned a service auction. I have always heard it called a slave auction but service sounds a lot better. This is an idea I have considered tossing to my chapter but was afraid of having it shot down because we are pretty paranoid about hazing issues (not that that's bad, it just gets in the way of carrying out some really great ideas). And auctions, of any kind, are great ways to bring in lots of money. Especially if the person being auctioned can convince a friend or significant other to run up the price.

eiresfire.deviantart.com
Old 09-20-2008, 02:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknjams89 View Post
usually making things and selling them is a good idea for fundraising like shirts or something
Einstein called. He wanted me to thank you for this brilliant observation.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairose View Post
Our chapter has 10 members and we need to raise money, but with 10 members things you can do are limited. Ideas????

I don't know where you are from. But if you have snowy winters get the girls togethor, dress up in your letters & mitts and go snow shoveling! It is fast if you stick to smaller to medium sized drive ways. You can take in alot of money in a small amount of time if there is all 10 of you shoveling.

Hope that helps
Old 07-20-2009, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I asked my stepdad about some of his more successful fundraisers and he told me about his Boot Drive. He and his fellow firemen got a permit from the county that allowed them to stand in the street to ask for donations for their firehouse from passerby and cars. (They're volunteer firemen). They did it one day from 8am to 4pm and raised $6000. They only covered 2 busy intersections. I hope to try this fundraiser myself with my group.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Some fun ideas to make a few bucks

There are a couple fun ways to raise money for sororities and fraternities called bail outs or shantytowns. these are just extra ways to make more money but wouldn't make enough for an entire fundraiser.

Bail out:
you create a makeshift jail cell and have a member of your group sit in it for a day (you can switch off) and collect money for the "bail out fund". Placing the jail cell in a crowded area on campus or in the yard surrounded by the different houses allows more people to walk by and donate small amounts.

Shantytown:
you can do this within your group or get another group involved (like another sorority). Two people make a house or "fort" out of whatever they can, a person from each group needs to sit in the fort for 24 hours (again, you can switch off). People will walk by and give money to the fort they like the best. it makes for a fun competition, and if both forts contain someone from your group then you get to keep all the profits!
Old 10-25-2010, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Good fundraiser ideas for small group

If you have a target goal to raise for your fundraising and a small group you may feel that your options are limited.

Scratch card – these cards actually function well for fundraisers with fewer and older participants.

Healthy snacks – some professional fundraising companies offer a variety of healthy snacks as your campaign item. The snacks are available in a variety of packs.

Decorate for fundraising – buying some cheap decoration supplies in bulk you can start off, offer decoration of backyard, front yard, garden or patios at a specific cost to the house owners in areas nearby and get a unique fundraising experience.

Last edited by danneva; 10-26-2010 at 04:33 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danneva View Post
Scratch card – these cards actually function well for fundraisers with fewer and older participants.
And depending on the laws of your state may be considered a "game of chance" and open a host of legal issues re: gambling. If this is the kind of scratch card I am thinking of.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I can recommend a fundraiser that will also give the group a chance to mingle. You can have a get together and serve coffee - my company offers a free coffee fundraiser program - you can have a cup on us coffee and jazz mixer. Guest have a cup on you and purchase the coffee to go before leaving to sponsor your group, there is 50% profit and the coffee has healthy herbs infused in it 100% organic. It's a great opportunity have an upscale affair while getting sponsors. I do not want to advertise here if interested please let me know.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

We've done valentine's day sales where we sold roses, carnations and baked goods, bake sales, tamale sales (we are a Latina sorority), and car washes

The fastest way to fundraise, however, is club parties. We recently held one in celebration of our new sisters/the end of the year. We had a pretty decent turn out and the club owner wants us back this fall. We managed to raise over $700. And that's because we got the fliers at the last minute due to a mishap and weren't able to hand out as many. Which was too bad because the fliers were in high demand
Old 09-18-2011, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

You could organize a 5k race. I raised $2000 for my kids' school with a race last year. It's totally do-able with ten people.