GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,498
0 members and 1,498 guests
No Members online

Old 10-04-2005, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBetaBaby
When one of the smaller chapters got very small, they asked for a COB hiatus. Now, the big chapters didn't know a damn thing about COB, so they voted in favor, but it hurt everyone else who was not at quota/total. I realize that particular chapter needed help, but in COB, you are rarely competing for the same women.
Why? Were they planning on recolonizing and didn't want the other chapters to take away girls by open bidding?

And as far as the quad thing...it sounds pointless. Just pick the girls up at their dorm, then if they don't want to go it'll be a lot more private. Go from the dorm to the sorority house. I don't see the point of doing otherwise unless you think it's important that bid day be a public comparison display,

Last edited by 33girl; 10-04-2005 at 10:20 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-04-2005, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Why? Were they planning on recolonizing and didn't want the other chapters to take away girls by open bidding?
Yes. I think a hiatus on advertising in the student paper or hanging up flyers in the freshman dorm would have been okay, but COB is just that, OPEN.

Quote:

And as far as the quad thing...it sounds pointless. Just pick the girls up at their dorm, then if they don't want to go it'll be a lot more private. Go from the dorm to the sorority house. I don't see the point of doing otherwise unless you think it's important that bid day be a public comparison display,
Apparently the res halls said it was too disruptive. I think that is ridiculous.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBetaBaby
Apparently the res halls said it was too disruptive. I think that is ridiculous.
I LOVED going to the dorms to get our new girls. Yes, we'd make a fuss, chant, and go nuts. For crying out loud though; it was Sunday afternoon for like ten minutes total! We'd cheer, get our NM, jump up and down, YAY, put the the decoration with letters on the door, and then leave.

So I thought and tried to figure out where the "disruption" was. I can see it being upsetting for the women who didn't get bids because they hear all the excitement and that Susie Sunshine down the hall got a bid to the house they hoped to be a member of. Of course no one likes to be cut or not be part of the group that was their "first choice." The doors will be plastered with letters, and they'll see who became a member of what house for the rest of the year. Disrupting though? Is ten minutes on a Sunday afternoon really going to mess up everyone's schedule? I'm all for empathy and being aware of how others are feeling, but where do we draw the line? Greeting on the quad causes Panhellenic issues. Sororities and members feel badly because they didn't get the numbers or get their "rush crushes". It's like a professor saying everyone's grade out loud. "I know you tried, but sorry...some of your answers wanted to be on other student tests instead. You get a C-." NMs also see how their new class stacks up against other houses. It causes houses to feel more elite because "oooh, at least we got quota/total and we're not like ABC who got two members and we got 50."

::big sigh:: You can't please everyone, but oh I so liked surprising our new members and bringing them all their fun gifts.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:10 PM

We do Bid Night in the ballroom of our student center in front of the other chapters. We don't always make quota, but that doesn't make me feel like we shouldn't get together for Bid Night. It's one of the most fun nights of the year. I get to see all my friends in other chapters, and heck, I congratulate my 'rush crushes' who happen to join somewhere else on finding somewhere they click with.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:12 PM

In response to U of I Sig Kap - the stats for this year show 18 women didn't receive a bid at all, and 939 did. The 18 who didn't get bids should have been contacted by their Rho Chis. So, I agree that the residence hall thing is BS. I feel terrible for those 18 women, but why can't 939 celebrate? The 18 have advanced notice, and can arrange to be away from the dorms while the NMs are being picked up. I really liked the tradition of being picked up at the dorms, and it is a lot more humane than embarrassing groups out at the quad. Some of the "advancements" in the U of I Greek system don't seem to be progress at all.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Still nothing? No one knows???