GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 976
3 members and 973 guests
indygphib, PGD-GRAD

Old 01-08-2005, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Salary History & demographic info?

OK... I've been applying to a ton of different places... there are some that I haven't applied to though b/c of the "Send a copy of your resume AND Salary History to..."

Why do they want my salary history? It's an entry level position.. and I've been making crap for the past couple of years (with the exeption of my internship.. but still) It just really makes me uncomfortable telling strangers what I've been getting paid..

Another situation I have encountered after I applied for a job was the whole demographic-type information. After I submitted my resume, I recieved a prepaid postage card to send in. They basically wanted my race, gender and all that stuff b/c of the company's Affirmative Action things going on. Technically, I'm a double-minority (i'm a female and hispanic) but I don't want to be hired b/c of some stupid affirmative action thing. Hmm.. well that was about a month ago.. I didn't return the card.. and haven't heard from them either..

What is the best way to deal with this?
Old 01-08-2005, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Salary History & demographic info?

Quote:
Originally posted by texas*princess
some stupid affirmative action thing. r..

You are joking right? Right?
Old 01-08-2005, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Salary History & demographic info?

Quote:
Originally posted by NewBee
You are joking right? Right?
well i don't want an interview or a job for that matter just because of my race or gender. that's just my opinion though.. someone else might think differently.

the reason for this thread was because i was hoping to get tips on how to deal with these situations (required salary histories and gender/race information)... not an affirmative action debate.

Last edited by texas*princess; 01-08-2005 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
I believe that theoretically you don't have to answer questions based on your age, gender, race, religious or political affiliation.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Re: Re: Re: Salary History & demographic info?

Quote:
Originally posted by texas*princess
well i don't want an interview or a job for that matter just because of my race or gender. that's just my opinion though.. someone else might think differently.

the reason for this thread was because i was hoping to get tips on how to deal with these situations (required salary histories and gender/race information)... not an affirmative action debate.
the card would be used to collect data to prove EEO compliance. This data is then used in a variety of governmentally related ways. (contract bids, tax status verifications, workforce development grants etc) Generally the information is retained separate from the applicants resume etc.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I work in Pediatrics Administration at a hospital, and we're basically the HR department for Pediatrics. We do a lot with posting new positions, interviewing candidates, hiring, etc. I know that everyone in the hospital is required to fill out surveys for all of the applicants that they get for any position and send them down to the Affirmative Action Office and get clearance from them before they hire someone. The position you're applying for could be in a place that has a similar policy.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Is that legal before you hire them? i can see an after hire survey, but it makes it look like you might discriminate bsed on gender, race, age or something.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not entirely sure of how it works but it is legal. The applicant's resumees are attached to what we send down to Affirmative Action. It's basically just done to make sure that everyone hires the best candidates and doesn't pick or dismiss someone based on race/gender preferences or whatnot. Just a precaution so the hospital doesn't get sued.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Thats interesting. I don't know that I have actually seen someone put there race, gender or age on a resume. I mean usually the gender is obvious from the name . ...
Old 01-08-2005, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Since I'm not involved at all in this I'm not 100% sure if I'm correct, but I believe that we have to report applicants who were called in to interviews, and you could get demographic information by that. Oh and you can't always tell someone's gender from their name, especially if you have a lot of international staff working for you. After working there summers and winters for 3 years, I had images in my head of the doctors, then when I'd meet them when they came to pick up paychecks I'd learn that someone was actually a man and not a woman, and vice versa.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Part of my job is putting together AAPs (Affirmative Action Programs), so maybe I can help.

For our clients, they are required to give us the race and sex of any applicant, whether or not they are called in for an interview. When it comes time to update their plan each year, we have to count each and every one of these applicants for that particular position. If you have 100 applicants, and 50 of them did not provide the employer w/ their race and/or sex, it really skews the results, as we can only then count the 50 employees that did provide this information.

So, please fill out that card and send it in! You will be doing the company a favor.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

will you still hire the applicants that didn't provide demographic information which is supposed to be strictly voluntary?
Old 01-09-2005, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Of course our clients will hire the applicants that don't provide the voluntary info! Provided, of course, that they are the best qualified applicant. BUT, if they hire one of those applicants, they will then know that applicant's race & sex, so they can then go back and fill in that info.

EDIT: Let me clarify what I meant by "count those applicants." I meant that what we do is take the total # of applicants for each position, and divide the # of applicants hired, and we look at their minority/female status, and that's how we determine if there has been an adverse impact. I don't mean that they don't count as applicants or won't be considered for the job if they don't provide that info.

Last edited by WCUgirl; 01-09-2005 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:24 AM
Banned

You don't have to fill out the info on race, religion, etc. If you don't feel comfortable, don't do it.

Regarding pay, it's not taboo. It doesn't really apply to you as much as it would myself. When I apply anywhere they want to know my base salary, my annual bonuses, and other benefits (car services, dinners, travel, insurance, etc.). I would just write this in there and not care if I were you.

-Rudey
Old 01-13-2005, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
OK can we talk about me?

I'm getting a RIDICULOUSLY low salary at my current job. I'm applying at several new places, and with the combined factors of my education, experience, clearance, (and the fact that I shouldn't have settled for such a low salary to start with, but whatever, i wanted a foot in the door) I'm putting my LOW salary range at a LOT more than I'm earning now. That range is still pretty typical (if not on the low side!) for my position in my field.

My point being -- for obvious reasons, I don't want to list my ridiculously low current salary. I don't want them to think I'm worth that, for starters. And I certainly don't want them to think they can offer me that -- that's the whole point of switching jobs.

So what do I do? Not list it? Even when it's requested?