GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,469
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, davidjuioro5780
» Online Users: 2,335
2 members and 2,333 guests
indygphib

Old 01-22-2012, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

For those who are still wondering these are who I have heard are done giving bids:
delta delta delta, chi omega, kappa delta, delta gamma, and delta phi epsilon. Does anyone know any others that are done giving bids?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-23-2012, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Maybe

DZ but I could be wrong.
I know a girl who got 4 bids and I think any of the 4 houses would have been great. She declined all of them. She wants to rush in fall because she thinks it will be easier to know just which one is the right one. Do you think all 4 houses would extend a bid again?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:48 PM

^^^It's hard to say. We're not in those chapters and we don't know what their decisions would be.

I will say that during FR, there are a LOT more PNMs participating, and there are also Release Figures. Other factors are also in play like recs, legacies, and freshman PNMs in the pool.

A chapter that may have extended Suzie a bid during COR, may not invite her back during FR if they can only invite back x number of PNMs and there are other PNMs they'd prefer to have back over her (ex: the women with more recs, the legacies, etc.)

Also: During formal recruitment, the freshmen are now involved and chapters have freshmen that they may want as well (ex: if every chapter member has 2 incoming freshmen from home that they want to invite back + legacies + girls with recs, threy may have less room to invite back Suzie Who Turned Down Our Bid in Spring.)

Not to mention a chapter could simply make the assumption of "Oh she turned down our bid last semester. She doesn't want us" and cut her.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepink View Post
I know a girl who got 4 bids and I think any of the 4 houses would have been great. She declined all of them.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Why are you confused and unhappy about my post. Do you think I made it up? I did not. Either that or she didn't give others the facts.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think you made it up. I am sad & confused how a woman can receive 4 bids to 4 Great Sororities & decline each & every one.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepink View Post
Why are you confused and unhappy about my post. Do you think I made it up? I did not. Either that or she didn't give others the facts.
It's always disappointing to us old folk to hear about women turning down bids, when every NPC group has so much to offer its members.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
It's always disappointing to us old folk to hear about women turning down bids, when every NPC group has so much to offer its members.
And when there are so many wonderful young women out there who would take accept those bids and appreciate them.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Thankfully in this case, 4 girls didn't lose out; they just had to wait a little bit longer for the good news.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi guys! I'm a freshman and I'm going to do spring recruitment this year! For this year, they're having an informational meeting about rush early in the morning where we find out all of the rules and then we have an hour to meet the chapters at tables. Then later on in the day all of the participating houses will be open from 1-7pm and in that time we have to visit all of the participating houses. I'm kind of nervous but super excited about rushing because I really want to join a sorority and be with a great group of girls. I was wondering if any of you could give me any tips or advice about spring rush (especially the girls that went through it) because I don't know anyone that has done it before. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck! The advice we give about recruitment in general will suffice. Informal recruitment differs from formal recruitment is (1) not all of the sororities participate, (2) you typically don't have to go to events at the maximum number of sororities to which you are invited, (3) some of the events may take place off campus or may not involve the entire chapter (e.g., ice cream social at a local restaurant with a few girls), (4) some events will be open and some will be by invite-only. As a result, informal recruitment tends not to be as frantic and "rushed" as formal recruitment.

I recommend you go to all of the open events to give yourself the most opportunities to join a sorority/be considered for membership. Be yourself, be prepared to talk about yourself and your interests, and ask questions of the members about why they joined, what they do as a sorority, and the obligations of membership to see if it is right for you. Go in with an open mind to the chapters who invite you to events/events you attend, be a gracious guest at each house, and try to meet as many members as you can to get a good feel for the chapter and what you have to offer one another.

If you are gong through informal recruitment at UF, it recommended that you seek out alumnae members of those sororities in advance (they don't have to be UF alumnae, but they must be alumnae of that sorority) who will submit recommendation/references on your behalf. You can contact relatives, friends, your hometown Alumnae Panhellenic, etc., to find alumnae.

Last edited by adpiucf; 01-17-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know any alumni and I don't know my town has an Alumnae Panhellenic but do you think knowing a couple of girls in some of the sororities in general? I guess I'm just a little bit worried since judging from the past posts spring recruitment is a little more selective. :/
Old 01-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Having friends who are members of the sororities who are able to participate in informal recruitment can help, but it is not a substitute for recommendations, unless the sorority allows collegiate members to write recommendations-some do. Did you ask any former teachers (even way back to pre-school or kindergarten) if they are sorority members: neighbors-friends parents-friends/co-workers of your parents?

Informal recruitment is not more selective-there are just less spots available for interested PNMs.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Knowing girls in the sororities is definitely an advantage. Give it a try and if it doesn't work out, go through formal recruitment in the fall (you have all spring semester and summer to get recommendations in that case).
Old 01-17-2013, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you know yet which sororities will be participating?

And to FSUZeta: regarding recs, how do you advise PNMs who won't know in advance which sororities will be participating in spring recruitment, but rather find out only when they arrive the day things begin? (i.e. FSU Winterfest) I do a lot of recs, but have never had this situation come up; my "rec girls" to date have all taken part in fall recruitments.

If UFSpringPNM is in the same situation, my first thought is that she should contact Greek Life and just ask which chapters are on board for spring. In the event they can't tell her, should she 1.) contact the rush chairs of individual sororities and ask them, explaining that she is gathering recs, or 2.) Just go ahead and get recs for all chapters?

Thanks for any info!