GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Tau > Tau Kappa Epsilon

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,952
2 members and 1,950 guests
Cookiez17

Old 09-13-2003, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Bad news from No. Colo.

September 13, 2003
Arrests, drugs lead to UNC frat's ouster

By The Denver Post
GREELEY - The University of Northern Colorado has barred a fraternity after two former students were arrested and a raid turned up drugs and stolen school property.

"We felt that what happened was so serious that they could no longer be a frat here," Jean Morrell, dean of students, said Thursday.

The move involves the Tau Kappa Epsilon chapter, which has been at UNC for 50 years. The fraternity can apply to return one year after the last current member has left UNC.

Campus police raided the fraternity house in April and found drugs and stolen university property, including computers and projectors.

David Lesser, 19, and Michael Nguyen, 20, both former UNC students, were arrested.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Well the are not reconzied by the campus now. Did IHQ pull their charter or are they going to just be a non recognized fraternity on campus?
Old 09-19-2003, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Delta Delta chapter--history

The chapter has been disbanded. The chapter will not operate
as a UNC fraternity. They simply would not listen. Even with no
debts, a scroll at 999 and a full board, the chapter simply would
not listen. It was an embarrassment. The crack UNC folks did
not close down the chapter, we did. They were #2 in size of 10
on this rather poor Greek school. We will return, eventually.
Erik P Conard, Board Member, Delta Delta chapter, UNColo.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I attend UNC and I talked to the DDD former VP. He is very upset by the loss of TKE.
Last year I lived behind the TKE house and they were never a problem. A house cannot be responsible for all of their the members if houses were then a lot more houses would be kicked off campus. There are a whole lot of other incidents with other fratneritites yet none of them have been kicked off. But that's probably bc one house comprises student government, and the former UNC president was a member of that fraternity.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOII*Azra-elle
I just came across this thread. We were all shocked that this happened, but UNC is starting to crack down on greek houses, it's sad really. There is an apartment building behind the new AOII house, and there are a few TKE alums that live there. They are wonderful men, and we get along great with them! It's too bad the actions of a few ruin it for everyone!!!
I know that she'll be there if ever I need her.
I know that our friendship is true.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm still bothered by this over 10 years later. Unfortunately it's been a struggle to gather the momentum to restart things, a lot of talk but no action which I'm as guilty of as anyone.

I'll be honest I have some criticism on how International has dealt with this. No help at all, only solicitations for donations. There has to be some guidance they can provide?
Old 06-15-2014, 12:40 PM

Ask your national HQ if they would be amenable to having a chapter there again. If the answer is yes, get to Facebook and get the chapter alumni organized. You need to show the support will be there for a rechartered chapter, $wise and time wise.

Unless it's a big 10 or SEC school, most fraternities are not going to go out of their way to charter or recharter a chapter. You have to take the initiative yourselves.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Yep, I know what you're saying. The problem is us alumni, myself included, are all talk and no action. I think everyone knows it's up to us to do it but when it's time to step up nobody does.

My issue with International is when the charter was pulled nothing was said. In my opinion if you pull that charter of a house that's been on campus 50+ years you owe it to those alumni to at least send a letter explaining why it was done and what the plan is moving forward to hopefully reinstall the chapter... instead we hear nothing and just get endless solicitations to donate.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

My problem with what you're saying is that you're contradicting yourself. You weren't involved with the chapter (and apparently haven't been involved with your organization as an alumnus), but somehow you think your headquarters "owes" it to you and the other alumni to explain why the charter was pulled.

I think it's probably obvious why. Think about it.

ETA: when a chapter gets in "trouble" and is on the brink of closing, alums come out of the woodwork screaming. But where were they during the slide down the slippery slope? I see this time and time again. Chapters with strong alumni support generally don't close.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 06-15-2014, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with you and I think I admitted my own culpability but you don't think the international HQ owes those alumni and explanation on why a chapter was closed?

Here's the thing, I get endless solicitations to donate and I have in the past but why would I now? When my chapter gets pulled I don't even get a letter... see what I'm saying?

Bottom line I just think other fraternities do a better job handling these situations...
Old 06-15-2014, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKEfromthe90's View Post
I agree with you and I think I admitted my own culpability but you don't think the international HQ owes those alumni and explanation on why a chapter was closed?

Here's the thing, I get endless solicitations to donate and I have in the past but why would I now? When my chapter gets pulled I don't even get a letter... see what I'm saying?
Did I miss something? It looks like the charter was pulled over 10 years ago. Why are you complaining now?

And based on this thread at least, it doesn't look like it was any secret that the charter was pulled, or why.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I see completely what you are saying. However, sorry, I can't agree with you, TKEfromthe90s. You aren't "owed" anything. If you'd been in contact or involved, you'd know. Or, as MysticCat pointed out, it's pretty blatant why the charter was pulled.

And frankly, I don't think it's too respectful to throw shade on your own fraternity.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 06-16-2014, 11:02 AM

I do agree with him that the alumni should have received a form letter at the very least letting them know the chapter was closed. Not only is this common courtesy, it also ensures that an underground chapter can't solicit money from unsuspecting alumni.

And yeah, when that's too difficult to do but the donation request finds its way to your mailbox with no problem, that doesn't go over well.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Did I miss something? It looks like the charter was pulled over 10 years ago. Why are you complaining now?

Because he just now found Greek Chat, silly
Old 06-16-2014, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think that alumni are owed an explanation. Many times a charter is pulled after multiple interventions and efforts from the headquarters as well as those involved at the district and local levels. The university may also have been involved. Those alumni who have been involved with the chapter know what's going down. The published article gave plenty of detail. Stolen university property, and drugs:what more does this guy want?

Can't speak for how TKE handled a situation ten-plus years ago. For all I know, a letter WAS sent and he didn't get it. Whatever.

Bottom line: he needs to get into action if he wants to see his chapter return to campus.