GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,377
0 members and 1,377 guests
No Members online

Old 08-10-2009, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment Outfits

So, I'm planning out my outfits for Recruitment this fall and I've heard you shouldn't wear colors of the sororities in case it displays a preference to a certain one on campus. But, there are certain colors that just look good on me and I really want myself to look my best. Should I stick with the colors that look good on me or stick solely to blacks, whites, and other neutral colors?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-10-2009, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Generally you can wear the colors of a sorority as long as you don't go overboard (like wearing all pink everyday of recruitment). Just don't make a huge deal about it... I don't think any of the active sisters will look at you and automatically think "Oh she must want to be and XYZ because she's wearing such and such a color"

But remember, color in moderation when it comes to a sorority's specific colors.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLittleBug View Post
So, I'm planning out my outfits for Recruitment this fall and I've heard you shouldn't wear colors of the sororities in case it displays a preference to a certain one on campus. But, there are certain colors that just look good on me and I really want myself to look my best. Should I stick with the colors that look good on me or stick solely to blacks, whites, and other neutral colors?
Seriously, wear whatever colors look best on you.

Sororities have a range of colors and you cannot avoid like every color on the spectrum.

If you're wearing a cute green and white dress, I doubt the Kappa Deltas are going to think "let's cut her because she's wearing our colors and is a creepo!"

Now if you're wearing a certain sorority's colors every day of recruitment, that's creepy. Or if you're saying "Look, my dress matches your colors!"

But you're not, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Seriously, wear whatever colors look best on you.

Sororities have a range of colors and you cannot avoid like every color on the spectrum.

If you're wearing a cute green and white dress, I doubt the Kappa Deltas are going to think "let's cut her because she's wearing our colors and is a creepo!"

Now if you're wearing a certain sorority's colors every day of recruitment, that's creepy. Or if you're saying "Look, my dress matches your colors!"

But you're not, so I wouldn't worry about it.
In my head I can just see some pnm saying this, and I'm praying I never witness it in person.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

they have.....or worn jewelry in the shape of a sorority's symbol.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:29 AM
GreekChat Member

True Story: (DO NOT DO THIS PNMs!) posted from Weird Rush Stories

We had a girl similar to that story!
She showed up in all Pink (sidebar: she told us she really wanted to go phi mu too!). She had a pink shirt on, pink legging pants (you know, the kind you wore in elementry school when they were cool!), white socks with pink pom poms on them, and pink flats. To top it off she was wearing a "pink ladies" jacket...ya know, from Greese! And all she talked about was how she wanted to be a pink lady! (i don't know if she realized she was in the AZD house and we have nothing to do with the color pink except for our rose!) Needless to say, she was cut from everyone...even from Phi Mu.
She stayed at Elon, stopped wearing pink, but every time i saw her, all i thought about was how she told everyone she wanted to be a pink lady!
Old 08-11-2009, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I have actually read the entire "weird rush stories thread" in preparation for my first recruitment as a sister! Some of the stories were waaaaayy crazy!! I can't believe some people actually do/say some of those things! I think that should be required reading for any pnms of perfect examples of when you go a little too far with your dress/speech/whatever.

Hopefully I never have to deal with a girl dressed to "impress" another sorority.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Wear what looks good on you. I think it's more of the combination and/or "head to toe"-ness of your outfit than the "OMG that PNM is wearing blue! Let's cut her because she obviously only wants Kappa!"

Chi Omega is a sorority that has a unique combination, cardinal and straw. It'd be weird to wear a red top and a gold/yellow bottom, but I don't think a red dress with slight gold accents would be weird.

I wouldn't worry about a pink and green Lilly dress showing preference to Delta Zeta, just because pink and green is such a popular combination. However, if said dress was turtle print and you wore a turtle necklace studded with diamonds, that would be bad.

I'd avoid pendants that are specific to sororities. Anchors are trendy right now, but I'd wait till after recruitment to wear it if you have Delta Gamma on your campus. Lyres, kites, keys, fleur-de-lis are a few more examples of symbols that are a little too specific.

However, a heart is more generic, so I don't think wearing a heart necklace would make anyone think you want Sigma Kappa. Star earrings wouldn't make someone think you want Theta.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
True Story: (DO NOT DO THIS PNMs!) posted from Weird Rush Stories

We had a girl similar to that story!
She showed up in all Pink (sidebar: she told us she really wanted to go phi mu too!). She had a pink shirt on, pink legging pants (you know, the kind you wore in elementry school when they were cool!), white socks with pink pom poms on them, and pink flats. To top it off she was wearing a "pink ladies" jacket...ya know, from Greese! And all she talked about was how she wanted to be a pink lady! (i don't know if she realized she was in the AZD house and we have nothing to do with the color pink except for our rose!) Needless to say, she was cut from everyone...even from Phi Mu.
She stayed at Elon, stopped wearing pink, but every time i saw her, all i thought about was how she told everyone she wanted to be a pink lady!
Maybe she loved the movie Grease and wanted a pink satin jacket?
Old 08-11-2009, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

watch out for the little things. last year a girl came through recruitment and on ice water night she was wearing a pink ribbon pin and i immediatly thought she was trying to impress the ZTA chapter we have.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

So after reading these posts, the moral of the story is

1.Wear what looks good on you, whatever the color.
2. Do not wear obvious sorority symbols in the form of jewelry or other accessories.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Wear what makes you feel comfortable. Like my school colors are red and white, I'd wear a red skirt and white blouse if it looked good. Or a black dress if it looked nicer. All preference .

Princess Haylo <3
Old 12-24-2011, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

princess haylo, in your intro. you said you were not a member of a greek letter org. we advise new greekchat members to take their time and look around in the different forums to get a feel for how things work around here. dredging up old threads and handing out advice when you are not qualified to do so is not a good idea.