GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,188
1 members and 1,187 guests
Low D Flat

Old 08-28-2016, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry Recruitment Questions

Ok I'm a bit confused as to recruitment with professional - my two older daughters were in social sororities. My younger wanted professional as her entire life has been Agriculture related. Served as an officer in 4-H since 3rd grade. Officer in FFA - Girls State held the Dept of Agriculture position. Taught 4-H as a peer leader in the state to elementary children. Already had an Internship in Ag before starting her Frehman year. Raised on a large farm and her major is one in AG. She was told she could go through Panhellenic Rush but could not accept a bid. If she did she would not be allowed to join Sigma Alpha. She did go through Rush and got bids but turned them down because she knew her heart was in Ag. They Pursued her even having dinners before school started. The week following formal rush they had their week. Everything went great so she thought it was just a small number of girls. Come bid night she and one other girl did not get a bid! She was devastated as this was her life and her kind of group. She didn't drink or party and wanted professional. We will never know the reason that those 5 girls didn't pick her but her one friend who give her the notice handed it to her with tears in her eyes and the recruitment chair even cried. She later went through spring rush and joined a top social sorority on campus. However this year the same thing happen again with a friend of mine daughter. She had been a State FFA officer and was already partly running her family farm. What is going on here?? I though a Professional Sorority was there to encourage and promote women in agriculture...though the girls had Honors grades with tons of Ag leadership. It was their major field and they had many friends and connections already. I feel it's Sigma Alphas loss but why would a professional organization be turning away any women who are making this field their career? I understand if it had been grades, morals, or other rules but there was none of this here. This time they 3 girls didn't get bids. You mean to tell me a small group couldn't take 3 more girls?? Sadly this second girl gave up everything to be a part and was rejected and it was too late for her to get another sorority. Sorry but this is just very messed up! It's professional not social so it shouldn't be treated that way. Base selections on merit not on social meetings for one hour.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktduke View Post
Ok I'm a bit confused as to recruitment with professional - my two older daughters were in social sororities. My younger wanted professional as her entire life has been Agriculture related. Served as an officer in 4-H since 3rd grade. Officer in FFA - Girls State held the Dept of Agriculture position. Taught 4-H as a peer leader in the state to elementary children. Already had an Internship in Ag before starting her Frehman year. Raised on a large farm and her major is one in AG. She was told she could go through Panhellenic Rush but could not accept a bid. If she did she would not be allowed to join Sigma Alpha. She did go through Rush and got bids but turned them down because she knew her heart was in Ag. They Pursued her even having dinners before school started. The week following formal rush they had their week. Everything went great so she thought it was just a small number of girls. Come bid night she and one other girl did not get a bid! She was devastated as this was her life and her kind of group. She didn't drink or party and wanted professional. We will never know the reason that those 5 girls didn't pick her but her one friend who give her the notice handed it to her with tears in her eyes and the recruitment chair even cried. She later went through spring rush and joined a top social sorority on campus. However this year the same thing happen again with a friend of mine daughter. She had been a State FFA officer and was already partly running her family farm. What is going on here?? I though a Professional Sorority was there to encourage and promote women in agriculture...though the girls had Honors grades with tons of Ag leadership. It was their major field and they had many friends and connections already. I feel it's Sigma Alphas loss but why would a professional organization be turning away any women who are making this field their career? I understand if it had been grades, morals, or other rules but there was none of this here. This time they 3 girls didn't get bids. You mean to tell me a small group couldn't take 3 more girls?? Sadly this second girl gave up everything to be a part and was rejected and it was too late for her to get another sorority. Sorry but this is just very messed up! It's professional not social so it shouldn't be treated that way. Base selections on merit not on social meetings for one hour.
My goodness, you just aren't happy with any kind of Greek life, are you?
Old 08-28-2016, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Your daughter would've received 1 bid if participating in NPC rush. Multiple bids are not given out.

I don't understand your purpose on coming to Greekchat to complain about an agricultural sorority. The majority of our membership are in social Greek organizations, and can only comment on the experiences we have had there.

It sounds as if your daughter has moved on, having gained membership in a top tier sorority. Perhaps you will be able to be happy for her and let your disappointment with the ag sorority go.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 08-28-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

I have never known Sigma Alpha to turn anyone down.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Wait. In this thread you say she's in a top tier social sorority but in this thread I've copied and pasted from, you claim that she wasn't interested in social sororities.

"Nope you would be wrong I spoke up against it many times! I'm now a 52 years old attorney and it is not even worse than before. Both my older daughters were in top houses at Alabama but neither went to my legacy house. My younger daughter decided it wasn't even for her. My husband agrees as we met at a mixer. Guys don't have the sane judgement issues that the women have. They don't pretend like the world is all Rosy durning rush week."
Old 08-28-2016, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I have four daughter - my youngest was not interested in any type sorority
Old 08-28-2016, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I have two daughters that wanted social and have graduated, one daughter that wanted professional but didn't get the bid from them and then went through spring rush and went with a social sorority and one daughter my youngest that didn't want to be in any type. To Clear things up
Old 08-28-2016, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Your daughter would've received 1 bid if participating in NPC rush. Multiple bids are not given out.

I don't understand your purpose on coming to Greekchat to complain about an agricultural sorority. The majority of our membership are in social Greek organizations, and can only comment on the experiences we have had there.

It sounds as if your daughter has moved on, having gained membership in a top tier sorority. Perhaps you will be able to be happy for her and let your disappointment with the ag sorority go.
Did you read I was talking about a friends daughter that had the same thing happen again this year. Sigma Alpha is Greek and there are people that have memberships here in non-social sororities so if you don't feel you have the correct experience or knowledge then why give your statement or opinion?

I am happy for all four of our daughters as well as my son and my disappointment was brought one by my friends daughter having again the same issue.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I have never known Sigma Alpha to turn anyone down.
I was surprised as they are suppose to
empower and support women in the Ag field - cutting qualified girls doesn't make sense to me at all. Especially when they are just starting and only have about 25 members. If only my daughter I would have thought ok they didn't like the fact her sisters were very involved in social and some older girls knew them, but it happened again this year and that girl was extremely qualified and didn't have connections to other girls.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

The majority of GC members are members of social Greek organizations. Read what I wrote.

Frankly, with you unusual syntax and poor punctuation your missive was difficult to understand.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:13 PM

Sigma Alpha is not solely a professional group - you don't receive a bid solely based on your major or grades, and I'm pretty sure dual membership in an NPC group is prohibited (unlike, say, Kappa Delta Pi). It is a professional/social sorority. So there may have been a SOCIAL reason she didn't receive a bid, especially in such a small group.

And as other people have said, unless you're going through an informal COB rush, you cannot receive multiple bids to "turn down."

ETA: I have never heard of a Greek group giving someone a written notice that they didn't get a bid.