GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,541
0 members and 1,541 guests
No Members online

Old 05-25-2010, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

My idea for my personal hell is any Disney theme park. I have never been, so maybe it's wrong of me to think that. However, I break out in a cold sweat and get the shakes when my daughter asks to go.

We also did Myrtle Beach quite a bit growing up. South of there, actually, in Surfside. Last trip was when my daughter was only 6 months old, and she hated the beach. The sand, the sun, something just pissed her off everytime we went there. She was happy as a clam in the private pool in the backyard though.

When I was growing up, every other year my grandma would take me on a cross-country Amtrak trip. Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Arkansas. I really want to travel by train with my kids when they get older. It's a dying form of transportation, but so fun to experience!

Last edited by IrishLake; 05-25-2010 at 01:38 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
My idea for my personal hell is any Disney theme park. I have never been, so maybe it's wrong of me to think that. However, I break out in a cold sweat and get the shakes when my daughter asks to go.

We also did Myrtle Beach quite a bit growing up. South of there, actually, in Surfside. Last trip was when my daughter was only 6 months old, and she hated the beach. The sand, the sun, something just pissed her off everytime we went there. She was happy as a clam in the private pool in the backyard though.

When I was growing up, every other year my grandma would take me on a cross-country Amtrak trip. Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Arkansas. I really want to travel by train with my kids when they get older. It's a dying form of transportation, but so fun to experience!
I LOVE Disney World! I guess it's because my family started going when I was 7. I've been 10 times. Unfortunately, it's not quite as detail oriented as when I was a little girl, but still very fun! There are rides for children and adults. The place is very whimsical. Your daughter will LOVE it! I overdid it the last time I went and stayed for too long. That was my birthday two years ago, but it may be getting time for another trip. I've never been to Disneyland so since I'm moving to AZ, I'll have to check it out.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-25-2010, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I love San Juan and Hawaii. Litchfield (south of Myrtle Beach) is a nice get-away - the beaches there aren't nearly as crowded as Myrtle, yet you're close enough to MB for shopping/restaurants. Charleston, SC is beautiful and has so much interesting history. It's a great vacation spot (if you can time it so you're not walking around Fort Sumter in 100+ weather).

Still, as much as I like the beaches, I love the mountains. Asheville, NC is awesome. Gatlinburg, TN is nine kinds of fun. I was completely impressed by (and now I'm enamored with) Blacksburg, VA. It's probably not much of a vacation spot, but it's an awesome town in a beautiful setting, and there's so much to do there. Honestly, I'd love to retire in Blacksburg.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I didn't mention my fave vacation place when I posted in here earlier. My favorite place in the world (so far) is Dale Hollow Lake on the KY/TN border. I have a friend who owns a houseboat on the lake and I go to see her every chance I get, during the summer. The water in that lake is soft like silk on your skin. The shores are rocky so it's not development after development all around the lake like we find up here. There is NOTHING to do, which is what I need in a vacation. I want to just completely relax, read, and chill out near the water, swimming whenever I feel like it, fishing and just doing nothing at all. That's my ideal. Lots of R&R on the water, be it ocean, lake, etc.. as long as I can swim in it
Old 09-10-2018, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow! This is an old thread; but, it's fun to read all of the great places to visit. I recently saw a TV program on Puerto Rico and thought that it looked like a beautiful place. I see from reading this thread that Puerto Rico is indeed a popular destination!

I am from Southern California and I absolutely love the desert. The beauty of the vast, open, desolate desert, with all of it's colors and imposing mountains, is compelling to me. Interestingly, I also have a heart for my local San Diego beaches. San Diego is such a great place to live.

I wish I was able to easily travel to the east coast and southeast U.S. as it seems like there are so many places to see!

True and Constant
Old 09-13-2018, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Wow! This is an old thread; but, it's fun to read all of the great places to visit. I recently saw a TV program on Puerto Rico and thought that it looked like a beautiful place. I see from reading this thread that Puerto Rico is indeed a popular destination!

I am from Southern California and I absolutely love the desert. The beauty of the vast, open, desolate desert, with all of it's colors and imposing mountains, is compelling to me. Interestingly, I also have a heart for my local San Diego beaches. San Diego is such a great place to live.

I wish I was able to easily travel to the east coast and southeast U.S. as it seems like there are so many places to see!
The 30-and-60-second tv commercials I've seen this year for vacations to San Diego make it seem like a really fun and interesting place to visit, all sun and beaches and sweet things to accomplish with a family. The luscious cinematography of those commercials also tempts my eye.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Our favorite city in the WORLD is Vienna, Austria! Our first real exposure to the city and all it has to offer was more than 40 years ago now, when my husband was a member of a US delegation. It was for an extended period of time, so we lived there like residents. This was BC (Before Children) Fast forward after many years of paying for braces, tuitions, music lessons of all kinds, summer camps, and all that is involved with supporting four children, we were finally able to return. And a joyful and very emotional return it was! As both of us are culture vultures of all kinds, we were once again in heaven. The historic district had been immaculately restored from the scars of WWII evident when we were there before. Vienna is often called the cultural capital of Europe. I say of the world!!! The classical music/opera venues are extraordinary and the performances are divine. All of the wealth of the VERY wealthy Hapsburgs now belongs to the public and is beautifully displayed in majestic museums, architectural wonders in themselves. Also their various residences and gardens. Virtually every kind of collection is there in addition to the fine arts. DH enjoyed both the Military Museum and the Globe Museum. Over 50% of the city is green, with beautiful public parks. Public transportation is fast, safe, clean and cheap. The Vienna Woods very nearby and easy to get to. As are the wine taverns. Vienna is very, very clean and with practically nonexistent crime.

We stay for three weeks at a time, and even with going out every day, we still have things to do on return trips. We rent an apartment for our stay., adjacent to the First (Historic) District, and in a residential area. Food in Vienna is terrific, both in the restaurants and cafes as well as in the grocery stores and outdoor markets. Everything is fresh and nothing canned or frozen! Divine pastries, which we enjoyed every day in one of the cafes for an afternoon snack. With whipped cream, of course!

We have been to Vienna during every season except summer and love going in the Fall the best. But there is something exciting taking place in Vienna year 'round.

Chi Omega
Old 09-14-2018, 01:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
The 30-and-60-second tv commercials I've seen this year for vacations to San Diego make it seem like a really fun and interesting place to visit, all sun and beaches and sweet things to accomplish with a family. The luscious cinematography of those commercials also tempts my eye.
I fly to SD often and visit friends. There's sooo much to do in SD. I highly recommend visiting SD.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
IMO San Diego offers everything for a family vacation. When our children were young it was just a couple of hours south and it offered so much for us to enjoy. Beaches, parks, historic sites, amusement/water parks, their world class zoo and wild animal park. Also there are plenty of amusements for those over 21 too.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:21 AM

My favorite place is the Outer Banks Islands, NC. Especially the town of Avon. I love the ocean there and the beach. I also tend to eat more fried shrimp that a human being should be allowed while I'm there.

Of course, right now it's being hit by Hurricane Florence.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-16-2018, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Has anyone been to Croatia? I'm doing a 14-day Italy and Adriatic cruise for my honeymoon and we're spending the biggest chunk of time in Croatia... I am thinking any kind of winery is best (at least, all of the cruise excursions are wineries), but should we do a couple days of just walking around instead? Our longest stopover is in Dubrovnik.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post
I fly to SD often and visit friends. There's sooo much to do in SD. I highly recommend visiting SD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
IMO San Diego offers everything for a family vacation. When our children were young it was just a couple of hours south and it offered so much for us to enjoy. Beaches, parks, historic sites, amusement/water parks, their world class zoo and wild animal park. Also there are plenty of amusements for those over 21 too.

The beautiful and fun stuff you see on the commercials is true. I wish it was an exaggeration; but, it's not. People come here to visit, fall in love with the city and then move here. Please visit and enjoy everything we have to offer, then kindly go home.

True and Constant
Old 09-17-2018, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

I'm so desperate for a real (non-working) vacation, I shudder to think where I'd go!
Old 09-18-2018, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Please visit and enjoy everything we have to offer, then kindly go home.

I feel this way any time the Rose Parade is televised!!!
IMO it is very fortunate that Camp Pendleton's location has stopped the non-stop sprawl that would have extended from the tip of South Orange Co. to the top of San Diego Co. At least the view is mostly uninterrupted along I5 and there is a brief opportunity for everyone to see the coast as it would have been decades ago.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
Has anyone been to Croatia? I'm doing a 14-day Italy and Adriatic cruise for my honeymoon and we're spending the biggest chunk of time in Croatia... I am thinking any kind of winery is best (at least, all of the cruise excursions are wineries), but should we do a couple days of just walking around instead? Our longest stopover is in Dubrovnik.
My aunt just retired after working nearly her entire life as a travel agent. Of course, she has been all over the world. I asked her recently what her favorite country is, and she said, "Hands down, without a doubt, the best country ever is Croatia." She just kept saying how beautiful it is.

I've never been, so I have no recommendations, but I have a feeling that if you spend a couple days walking around exploring the country, you won't be disappointed.

@~/~~~~