GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,931
0 members and 1,931 guests
No Members online

Old 01-29-2013, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
I know....I didn't want to sound too judgey. I wanted to make sure it was clear that my problem was they didn't tell people about the change. Yeah, Olive Garden wouldn't really be my choice, either, but it's their day.

I probably should have just said "a restaurant" instead of specifying Olive Garden.
I love Olive Garden, not even ironically (unlimited breadsticks? HECK YES), but wedding reception material it ain't. I'm totally down with someone serving punch and snacks as a reception. But yes, you're right, they should have told their guests of the change.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-29-2013, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Agreed that they should have notified everyone on the change.

I saw the Grand Forks restaurant critic being interviewed after her review went viral. Hey, it was a big deal for them to get an Olive Garden!

When we were on an Alaskan cruise in 2008, we were told how the residents of Haines, Alaska were so excited when the first McDonald's opened up in Juneau, they chartered a plane to bring burgers and fries to the whole town. They met the plane on the tarmac. Those must have been some cold fries!
Old 04-28-2013, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I just came across this article of the top 10 things wedding guests complain about:

http://www.bridalguide.com/blogs/rea...est-complaints

@~/~~~~
Old 07-18-2013, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I was just asked to be in my best friend's wedding. The wedding isn't for another year, but I have a question, and I figured this is (potentially) the best thread for it:

The ceremony is in NH. The reception is in MA. The distance between the church and the reception location is about 30 minutes. We (the bridesmaids) received a message from the bride saying that her and the groom were looking into group hotel rates in NH, in the same city as the ceremony.

So.. it will be a half hour drive from the ceremony to the reception, and also from the reception back to the hotel. Is it just me, or is this pretty far? And is it REALLY far to ask people to drive after a reception?

Also, because this reception location is so popular, you have to book it 2 years in advance if you want to book a Saturday. So the wedding is on a Friday. Normally I wouldn't mind, but depending on what time the wedding is, we could be competing with weekday traffic, and potentially, rush hour, for what's already a decent distance to drive.

Am I crazy for thinking this is crazy?

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 07-18-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm from Texas - 30 minutes? Pshaw!

That said, would the happy couple entertain the idea of a party bus to ferry at least the attendants and perhaps the guests? Even if you got caught in traffic, it would be like the reception had already started!
Old 07-18-2013, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
I was just asked to be in my best friend's wedding. The wedding isn't for another year, but I have a question, and I figured this is (potentially) the best thread for it:

The ceremony is in NH. The reception is in MA. The distance between the church and the reception location is about 30 minutes. We (the bridesmaids) received a message from the bride saying that her and the groom were looking into group hotel rates in NH, in the same city as the ceremony.

So.. it will be a half hour drive from the ceremony to the reception, and also from the reception back to the hotel. Is it just me, or is this pretty far? And is it REALLY far to ask people to drive after a reception?

Also, because this reception location is so popular, you have to book it 2 years in advance if you want to book a Saturday. So the wedding is on a Friday. Normally I wouldn't mind, but depending on what time the wedding is, we could be competing with weekday traffic, and potentially, rush hour, for what's already a decent distance to drive.

Am I crazy for thinking this is crazy?
There's no tax in New Hampshire...worth the 30 minutes? I think so.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post

That said, would the happy couple entertain the idea of a party bus to ferry at least the attendants and perhaps the guests? Even if you got caught in traffic, it would be like the reception had already started!
I've never had to drive more than 10 minutes between the ceremony/reception/hotel at any wedding I've been to, so 30+ minutes seems like quite a distance. But maybe it's not..

I'm not sure if they're going to provide transportation, but they're going to have about 200 guests, and from what I understand, many are traveling a good distance and will need to stay in the hotel. So who knows..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl10 View Post
There's no tax in New Hampshire...worth the 30 minutes? I think so.
Eh, an extra $7/night doesn't really bother me.

@~/~~~~
Old 07-19-2013, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Worst wedding ever was when one of my "friends" from High School got married and had their reception at a very nice restaurant. They'd taken over the place for the night and it was really a wonderful event.....well, until every guest was handed a bill as things were winding down for $34.00.

I just couldn't believe it, it was so awfully tasteless.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscherrypie View Post
Worst wedding ever was when one of my "friends" from High School got married and had their reception at a very nice restaurant. They'd taken over the place for the night and it was really a wonderful event.....well, until every guest was handed a bill as things were winding down for $34.00.

I couldn't even imagine..

I probably would have thought it was a joke at first.

@~/~~~~
Old 07-19-2013, 02:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscherrypie View Post

I can't lie, I probably would have (very cautiously) snuck out. Can't imagine I'd be the only one.

Θ Φ Α

Old 07-19-2013, 07:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Eh, an extra $7/night doesn't really bother me.
Especially since you'll probably spend that much or more in the gas to get back and forth.

I've driven an hour from church to reception before. It was a pain.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Yes, I agree with the pshaw from one place to another (sometimes essential if you don't want to have your reception in the church basement). That being said, the hotel should be where the reception is, as part of the point is so people don't drive drunk/tired after the reception.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

At my wedding - we had the reception about 30 minutes from the church. This makes sense sense churches tend to be in neighborhoods and hotels and reception halls downtown.
We recommended a hotel near the reception site. It was a little more expensive than the hotel by the church - but they provided a shuttle bus from the hotel to the reception and back, so the out of town guests drove to the wedding and back to the hotel and then took the shuttle to and from the reception hall
Old 07-19-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Yes, I agree with the pshaw from one place to another (sometimes essential if you don't want to have your reception in the church basement). That being said, the hotel should be where the reception is, as part of the point is so people don't drive drunk/tired after the reception.
I don't know if this is regional or not, but I "pshawed" at 30 min myself. I've been to weddings where the ceremony and reception sites were an hour + apart (e.g. wedding in CLE and reception past Canton, google map it if you're not from here, it's quite a distance.)

I will say that if the reception is not in the hotel where guests are staying, it is usually VERY close with shuttle service provided from reception to hotel (keeps people from driving.)

And my jaw dropped at the guests receiving bills for meals. I can't.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

bumping this for wedding season--