GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,629
0 members and 1,629 guests
No Members online

Old 09-23-2010, 06:17 AM
GreekChat Member

missing a night of recruitment

how much does it affect someone?

Last edited by maddisaurus; 09-23-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:39 AM
GreekChat Member

All depends...you'd need to talk with your recruitment counselor or the Greek Adviser about your particular case. Often women who are in band or dance line, etc have to miss part of recruitment and they generally make concessions of some sort.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

That depends on the campus and the night. You need to talk to your recruitment counselors immediately. They will be able to advise you. You should not miss a night of recruitment unless you have a very good reason...like you're on an athletic team, in a show, in a wedding, etc.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 09-23-2010, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

one girl here, on another thread, noted that she got an ok from her professor to sit in on another class to make up the time she was missing. That's nice of the professor, and worth a shot if your problem is class.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

^unfortunately, that won't fly. i have a biology lab and we are absolutely not allowed to make it up. ever. you can write a report for points but only with a valid doctor's note. i'm not allowed to go into another lab session, either. so it's either go or miss all those points. it would just affect my grade WAY too much to skip it.

my rho gamma will let the two sororities i can't make know i have an excuse, but i have to miss one of my favorite sororities, so i'm really stressed out. basically... i'm trying to work out if i'm going to get cut because i'm not there. there's really nothing i can do but it'd be good to kind of know what's coming, you know?

Last edited by maddisaurus; 09-23-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddisaurus View Post
^unfortunately, that won't fly. i have a biology lab and we are absolutely not allowed to make it up. ever. you can write a report for points but only with a valid doctor's note. i'm not allowed to go into another lab session, either. so it's either go or miss all those points. it would just affect my grade WAY too much to skip it.

my rho gamma will let the two sororities i can't make know i have an excuse, but i have to miss one of my favorite sororities, so i'm really stressed out. basically... i'm trying to work out if i'm going to get cut because i'm not there. there's really nothing i can do but it'd be good to kind of know what's coming, you know?
Whether it will be a problem or not depends on the school and the chapters. So stop worrying about that for now. There's really nothing you can do. If you can't miss the lab and it will effect your grade you're making the right choice to go to class. You might consider telling these two chapters you will have to miss the next night because your biology teacher is so strict and you are very motivated to make good grades, but you're really upset you have to miss the parties. This will let them know you're interested and that you are careful with your grades, which is certainly a plus.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 09-23-2010, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I'm curious - when is Recruitment and how far away is this particular day in question? Is it the first day? I ask because it appears that you already know in which order you'll be visiting each chapter (you said that you'll miss one of your "favorites"). Is it common to know the order before recruitment even starts?

Old 09-23-2010, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

we're given our schedules the day before each round, so i found out yesterday about tonight, which i'm missing half of.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
we're given our schedules the day before each round, so i found out yesterday about tonight, which i'm missing half of.
But did you not realize going into recruitment that you were going to miss part of tonight? It really sounds like you were just hoping to end up with chapters that you didn't want and it wouldn't be a big deal to miss, but now that you have a group there that you like, you're panicked. You're at the age now where people start expecting you to plan ahead. Sounds like you just got Lesson #1 in this...and it was a hard one.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:28 PM

We don't know if you're going to get cut.

Every chapter handles that differently.

Your Rho Chi can only tell the chapters you're going to be absent and why.

She can't keep them from cutting you if they choose to do that.

They may, they may not. There isn't anything you can do about it. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

okay. i'm just trying to gauge whether or not it's a big deal or not. i apologize for everyone's time, since i seem to really be giving off the wrong impression here.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
okay. i'm just trying to gauge whether or not it's a big deal or not. i apologize for everyone's time, since i seem to really be giving off the wrong impression here.
The thing is, we don't actually KNOW if it's going to be a big deal.

Every chapter is different.

Some chapters cut girls right away for missing their party (no matter the reason). They have cuts to make and the easy cut to make is the girl who was absent.

Then there are others who will invite someone back if they missed.

We have no way of knowing what a chapter is going to do.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

If it helps any, I was on a campus with a pretty competitive rush, and there would be about 1 girl a year who had to miss for class (evening classes are really rare). These girls had a success rate that was about the same as everyone else. Out of, say, 5 girls in this situation during my time as a collegiate, 1 of them dropped out of rush (or was dropped), and everyone else was placed. Whether they placed where they wanted to go is another question entirely, but they did make it through the process.

If you get cut from your favorite, then you do. I understand your misconception, but it didn't turn out that way. I hope everything goes well for you, and just remember that one of your least favorites last night could become your favorite later. The situation exists, make the best of it, and don't dwell if you do get cut. It could have happened even if you did make the party.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

You might want to call the greek advisor and ask if you can write a letter to the sororities whose parties you'll miss tonight. Towson allows this, and I've heard many a letter during member selection sessions from PNMs who could not attend a party for one reason on another. This would allow you to give out the information that you didn't give them earlier, ie. you are really interested in their chapter but couldn't miss your biology lab. It may not make a difference, but at least you let them know that you liked them. I personally think this is a fair option since the rest of the PNMs are allowed to tell the chapters this in person.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-23-2010, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I mean... think about if you were on the other side of recruitment. Would you want to vouch for a girl over dozens of others who didn't go to the party (for whatever reason)? If no one else knew her?

Sorry for sounding negative - it does ultimately depend on your campus and the chapter.