GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,199
2 members and 2,197 guests
Overthinker, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 02-12-2007, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Skit night help!

I'm one of the two that is heading up Fall Recruitment next semester. I've never been through formal, I COB'd in the spring. I desperately need idea's for a cute, fun skit night idea. Last year we made a movie and showed it...it was cheezy. Our sorority always struggles with formal,and receives most girls through COB afterwards...I'd really like to boost that next semester. Any ideas?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-12-2007, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Not that this is probably any less cheesy then the movie you guys showed, but I just thought of something off the top of my head:

How about doing a Jeopardy-type skit, where the three contestants are Connect, Impact, and Shine. You could have your "host" have "answers" like "This is what GPhiB means to me", and have each person answer relative to your new slogan.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:15 PM

How about putting "Connect", "Impact" and "Shine" on great big posterboards and having someone talk about what each word means?

/inside joke

Maybe something based on Desperate Housewives or Grey's Anatomy...not quite as sexy as those shows of course. Or else a Law & Order skit because the "doink doink" sound would amuse everyone - which is half of what skits are supposed to be about.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

We did a parody of a dating game show showing 3 different organizations competing for a student. The other two were silly groups (L.I.P.S.T.I.C.K. and something about planting grass everywhere) and then the last was us. We had two girls on a couch in PJs watching the show which had commercials (advertising a SK dance video, we were known for our dancing).

It was really cute and popular among the PNMs and the Pi Chis (they watch from the back)
Old 02-12-2007, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
How about putting "Connect", "Impact" and "Shine" on great big posterboards and having someone talk about what each word means?

/inside joke
Stop giving away our brilliant recruiting strategies!!!

And yes, I should have added in my post above, I am a Jeopardy nerd. My 2 year old daughter spotted Alex Trebek in a Colonial Penn commercial and started dancing around shouting "Jeopardy".
Old 02-12-2007, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
We totally revamped our skit from when I rushed back in 2003. The past couple years we've used "Sorority Night Live" as our theme, based off various SNL skits. The most popular ones have been the cheerleaders, jeopardy (we change the contestants every year to keep it current), and a Night at the Roxbury dance scene. It's really cute and the PNMs love it (our return rate after skit night [girls cut down from 4 to 2 houses for Pref] is usually around 80%). We manage to incorporate Alpha Phi by having the cheerleaders stay stuff like "OMG, I'm so nervous, there's so many good girls here.. look at that one!!" and things like that (obviously not pointing directly to a certain girl) and "how can we get them to come back? the perfect cheer!". For jeopardy, we use two celebrity contestants and an Alpha Phi (who always wins). And for Night at the Roxbury, this year we made it at an Alpha Phi date party, and the two "guys" went up and kept doing all these crazy dance moves around the sisters in the skit, who would then be "rescued" by her other sisters. The skit changes slightly every year but it's still hilarious and a lot of our new girls always tell us that they remember skit night the best at our house.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought most schools were getting away from skits? Spending that time getting to know the women rather than acting for them?
Old 02-12-2007, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

We did a Sex and the City themed skit. My sorority and another one were always going after the same girls during recruitment and the stereotype was that we were the friendliest girls and had a really strong sisterhood but we weren't as classy as the one we were always competing with and didn't party like the other houses. So we changed out skit from something kind of cheesy to the Sex and the City theme to show that we were fun and classy too but we also could play up that we had such a strong sisterhood since the characters on the show were like sisters. It worked really well since most girls associate Sex and the City with fun girls that you'd want to have as your friends (not all, lets not start a debate! ) Obviously you'd want to play down the Samantha and play up the Charlotte! Basically the whole party was based around a classy, urban, party, fashion/shopping theme. Every active wore a little black dress and we served mocktails in martini glasses. Our house was decorated like an urban loft, one wall had a slideshow going and the opposite wall had a city scape made out of cardboard but it looked nice, not like an a prop in an elementary school play! We had advisors donate furniture and accessories that made it look like a really sophisticted loft instead of a sorority house, and we put twinkling lights draped in black toole all over the ceiling. During the entire party we had a slide show going on this huge screen that took up almost an entire wall and the pictures were just of us having fun together and we had the theme song to Sex and the City playing throughout the party; we played it loud for a minute when the girls first came in but then it was so soft though so you barely noticed it and could have a conversation without screaming over it. On our name tags under our names it said "I'm a Carrie" or Charlotte or Miranda (nobody had Samantha!). It was actually a really good ice breaker because almost all the PNMs would ask why we were that character, then we could ask what they were and if they said Samantha we'd cut them on the spot (just kidding!) Yes there were girls who had never seen the show but the overall theme worked so well that it didn't really matter. The skit itself was based around a new member who didn't know many people on campus (aka the "city", and we had fall recruitment so this worked) and wanted to find not only the most fun and classy girls but also the friends who would do anything for you and would stay up all night talking about boys or helping you with your problems. Most of our new members said our skit really stood out for them because at my school most PNMs were looking for a sorority that had a strong sisterhood, the best parties, and the cutest and classiest girls. This isn't meant to sound like we were so much better than the other houses by any means but for the party we showed the PNMs how we had it all.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

what cute ideas! I really love the "I'm a carrie" type thing! great conversation starters! We don't have a house here, in our town it's illegal to have more than 4 females living in one place and they not be related (stupid, I know...it's considered a brothel! lol). So in 2013 that goes to pot, but I won't be an active then. I'll definitely work on that. we kind of have to "laid back, friendly" rep too...
Old 02-12-2007, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUgammaphi View Post
We don't have a house here, in our town it's illegal to have more than 4 females living in one place and they not be related (stupid, I know...it's considered a brothel! lol). So in 2013 that goes to pot, but I won't be an active then. I'll definitely work on that.
Not this again! Sister, hate to break it to you, but that's one big ol' urban legend.

Cute suggestions for skits. The Night at the Roxbury gags always crack me up because my friends and I used to go to the real Roxbury in L.A. when it was around my freshman year. It was a really cheesy, smokey place with a lot of older men hitting on and groping the 18-year-old women.