GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,142
3 members and 1,139 guests
John, PrettyBoy

Old 01-07-2012, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Transferring. I want to be a fourth generation Kappa. Please Help!!

I wasn't sure where to post this!
I am currently at a community college and I will be transferring to a 4-year institution this fall. Almost all the women in my family have been a member of KKG (My mom, aunt, both grandmothers, and a great-grandmother). I would really like to carry on this tradition, but at the school I am going to KKG has a very strong and selective chapter. I am very involved, have a 3.6 GPA, and I feel like I would fit in with these girls. But will my junior status kill my chances? I don't want to be close-minded, but I would love to be a fourth generation Kappa! Any input or knowledge of legacy procedure in these types of circumstances would be appreciated.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-07-2012, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Unfortunately, none of us can tell you what your chances are. We aren't in that chapter, and even if we were, telling you anything about your chances would really violate confidentiality. All you can do is go through recruitment with an open mind towards EVERY house, get your recs and legacy forms in order, and hope for the best. I hope you will give the other houses on campus a chance; while I love Kappa, all of the NPC sororities are outstanding organizations.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

@FleurGirl,
Thank you very much for your response. I understand it is confidential and I am hoping to give every house a fair chance. I was just wondering if in general I would receive special consideration, like if I had rushed as a freshman?
Old 01-07-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkate View Post
@FleurGirl,
Thank you very much for your response. I understand it is confidential and I am hoping to give every house a fair chance. I was just wondering if in general I would receive special consideration, like if I had rushed as a freshman?
You need to ask these questions of the KKG relatives in your family. They will tell you what you need to know, and what they are allowed to divulge to a nonmember. If they aren't up to date on current membership selection guidlines or legacy policies, it is up to them to get up to date so as to give you correct information.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

KK, are you by chance from Texas?
Old 01-07-2012, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post
KK, are you by chance from Texas?
No I am from California, but I am transferring to a mid-west school. So I'm assuming it is not as competitive as southern schools schools, but I am not sure how competitive.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
What if you meet the women in the chapter at your school and you aren't a good fit with them at all?
Old 01-07-2012, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkate View Post
No I am from California, but I am transferring to a mid-west school. So I'm assuming it is not as competitive as southern schools schools, but I am not sure how competitive.
I wouldn't be so sure.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-07-2012, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't keep posting in multiple threads. That's annoying.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Don't keep posting in multiple threads. That's annoying.
I'm sorry. I'm new to this forum and didn't know there was a separate area for different sororities, and I was confused at where to post.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

As a sorority woman who is not a Kappa, maybe I can insert a few cents without giving away any big secrets - since I don't know any! Nobody can tell you if you will get in. There's no way, too many variables, too many different campus, Greek, and chapter styles. Juniors at a lot of schools have a rough road through rush. HOWEVER, a fourth generation legacy is something special and I would think they would not cut you willy-nilly.

If I were to provide some suggestions, go in very enthusiastic but not creepy. Make sure every living relative has sent in the legacy, recommendation, letters of support, whatever is appropriate for Kappa. They should know this stuff and if they don't, now is the time to find out! Do NOT go in with any expectations of automatic acceptance because it doesn't exist. Take what you know about sorority life and use it to be the best possible rushee at the other chapters, because one of those may be where you end up.

You will almost certainly get invited back to the 2nd round of rush (some call it the first invitationals). Most if not all NPC sororities do that as a courtesy. If you get that first invitation, again, DO NOT assume you are in. Continue through rush looking for your home and keeping an open mind. Finally, when you go through rush and they possibly fawn all over you because of your legacy status, don't take too much of that. As we've told lots of girls who take heavy cuts during rush, the chapters who are really successful at rush are pros at making you feel really special. Not that you AREN'T special, but when cuts have to be made, cuts have to be made.

Best of luck to you with Kappa or wherever your future sisterhood becomes.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

NOT that this is a guarantee of ANYTHING, but does the school to which you're transferring have an upperclassman quota? That means that they are allowed to take a certain number of upperclassmen without having them count toward regular quota numbers. Now, as others have said, not only may you not click with the Kappas at your school, they may have upperclassmen in mind already, friends of theirs whom they'd like to pledge as upperclassmen. And many schools do not have upperclassmen quotas, so don't get your hopes up based on this. But go to your school's Panhellenic website to see if they advertise an upperclassmen quota. If they do, this could increase your chances. And this isn't a Kappa thing - it is a Panhellenic decision that differs from school to school whether chapters at that school are allowed to take upperclassmen that don't count towards regular quota.

Best of luck. When you go through rush, you are allowed to mention your family's Kappa experience when asked what you're looking for in a sorority/why you're rushing, but don't harp on it too much to the point where it is a sort of creepy "it's destiny" thing. As long as you've filled out your legacy forms, the Kappa chapter will know that you're a fourth-generation legacy without your having to tell them. And DON'T talk about it much/at all at other houses, lest you ruin your chances with them. You don't want to be cut from houses that might be a good fit just because you're "that girl who is some super Kappa legacy and is set on going Kappa."
Old 01-08-2012, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Bug! View Post
Best of luck. When you go through rush, you are allowed to mention your family's Kappa experience when asked what you're looking for in a sorority/why you're rushing, but don't harp on it too much to the point where it is a sort of creepy "it's destiny" thing. As long as you've filled out your legacy forms, the Kappa chapter will know that you're a fourth-generation legacy without your having to tell them. And DON'T talk about it much/at all at other houses, lest you ruin your chances with them. You don't want to be cut from houses that might be a good fit just because you're "that girl who is some super Kappa legacy and is set on going Kappa."
+1

AAMOF +1 to everything Lightning Bug wrote. Just didn't feel like QFPing the entire post.

OP, RELAX. And open up your mind! One of my very best friends/Theta sisters was a multi-generational Kappa legacy, and she found her home with Theta. Her choice, FWIW. The sky didn't fall; the Kappas in her family are still speaking to her. And the reverse is true: I know multi-generational Theta legacies who are happy members of other GLOs.

Sometimes I think this whole legacy business is more troublesome than helpful.

PS: there are founders' descendants going through recruitment at the present day. Can't even imagine the pressure.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-08-2012, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
PS: there are founders' descendants going through recruitment at the present day. Can't even imagine the pressure.
The pressure on both sides of that one....ugh.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
The pressure on both sides of that one....ugh.
Yep, that's a tough one for the chapter and the girl going through. What if the girl hates the chapter? What if the chapter is forced to cut her for grades or something? That's just rough. I'm glad I don't need to face that one!