GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,389
0 members and 1,389 guests
No Members online

Old 08-13-2004, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
Re: Balancing Fraternity/Sorority with your other obligations

Quote:
Originally posted by ReyNYCPR
Not sure if a similar thread like this has been posted here before, but I was curious as to know how all you juggle fraternity/sorority with school, wrk. etc.

After I was elected President in May, it started to hit me in terms of all the work that is involved as well as things I do outside the Frat. I will be working 30+hrs weekly, going to school full time, also a Cheerleader (yea I know.. a frat guy a cheerleader.. don't hear that too often) with practices 4 times a week, (not including games and competitions), then add 2 weekly frat meetings, rush parties, social events, community services, fund raisers, school wrk, girlfriend, family, and oh yea.. some "me" time. But believe it or not I'm not too worried about it. For some reason, I always manage to make time to do everything. Although it may sound like I'm complaining, I'm actually happy to be doing so much and being active. In the end I feel like I'm accomplishing things.

I just wanted to know if any of you carry the same weight on your shoulders, and if so, how do you balance?
Oh, I totally relate! First of, BTW, lots of fraternity men are cheerleaders. Here at ASU I know at least 2 are Pikes.

As far as balancing...honestly, I don't know HOW I balance the stuff that I do:

--classes: tpyically 17-18 a semester

I'm a music major, soooo,

--Marching Band: during the fall, 3:30-5:00 every weekday; games, exhibitions, etc just about every weekend; plus the pre-school marching camp that goes from 9am-9pm. I am also head Section Leader for the saxophones so that is an EXTRA committment.

--Wind Ensemble: top university instrumental ensemble. Rehearses MWF 12:00-1:00 and Tues and THurs 12:30-1:20. We also typically do about 4-5 concerts per semester and sometimes a regional tour.

--Jazz Band: MWF 11:00-12:00 and a few concerts per semester.

--Saxophone Quartet: varies by semester but once or twice a week for an hour or so. We perform occasionally.

--I am the SAI representative for the ASU music department's student org which meets w/ the department head monthly and discusses issues in the music department. We actually get a say in things that go on, including introducing new classes and stuff. It's way cool.

Plus during the spring I was ALSO in 2 choirs that rehearsed daily and performed several times; I typically work about 15 hours a week....And then...SAI. I am President too, and I totally feel ya on the committment. I am just hoping I can do a good job AND balance all my committments!

Okay now my advice. PLAN IN ADVANCE, PLAN IN ADVANCE, PLAN IN ADVANCE. This goes for everything. Your planner is your best friend. Write down every single committment, and highlight the ones most important. Outline a plan ahead of time for managing your time.

Just remember, you made a committment when you were elected Presidnt. It will not be easy, but keep in mind that you are THE most important person in your chapter. Everything goes back to you...if you screw up, everyone down the line will too. Just learn to be really good at time management, and use your planner!!, and you will be fine.

Last edited by sairose; 08-13-2004 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
Quote:
Originally posted by aoiikristi
When I was school, I was a music major--all of you other music majors can appreciate what a huge time commitment that in itself requires. Most music majors don't bother with a GLO because they simply don't have the time.
I made it work, along with a couple of other organizations, and also got into Order of Omega and Mortarboard along the way.
Yaaaaaaay another music major (or former music major)

Yeah I think us music majors are the masters of multi-tasking. We kinda have to. And you are right, most music majors don't join a social GLO. There is one who is an Alpha Gam though, and she balances it just fine and I believe she was the chapter's president this year as well. I mean SAI is a different story because all chapter stuff is automatically worked around music stuff. And the time committment or SAI, while it is quite a bit, isn't quite as much as an NPC. I don't know HOW people like you do it.