GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,086
0 members and 1,086 guests
No Members online

Old 09-17-2008, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterXO View Post
If anything, ask your rush counselor what it means since other PNMs were talking about it. I'm sure she's pretty knowledgeable about all the chapters and you avoid looking like you have alcohol "issues" during round 2.
Oh good plan. I hadn't even thought of that - thanks! That helps a lot
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-01-2008, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Sry So long!!!!!!!

So, I thought I'd add a few stories from our Formal Recruitment that just ended last week. These are perfect examples of what NOT to do during Recruitment.

#1) PNM approaches four women from two different GLOs outside the cafeteria 7 days before the beginning of Recruitment. She starts off with "OMG I looove your shirts!!" to org ABC, then turns to the member of DEF (who is not wearing letters - FYI) and says "OMG you're a member of DEF, right? My cousin's totally probably maybe going to be a DEF at _____ University this fall. I like, love you guys. Srsly." Because the member of DEF is square on her rules (and I'm Recruitment Chair for CPH and was sitting there haha), she begins to talk about the other two sororities on campus...before being cut off again. She hands the PNM a flyer, says she's looking forward to seeing her at the informational and turns away. The PNM then says "OMG I guess I might go see what this sorority stuff is about and all since like...my dad just gambled away all of our money and now I'm poor like the rest of you at this school. That's why I transferred. We don't have enough money for private school anymore. Oh my GOD I love your shoes! I have some just like it except I'm not going to be able to wear them anymore because I think if I sell them I'll be able to get some money. Ew I'm going to have to start shopping at like...normal stores. Anyway I guess I'll give you guys a shot since I have to stop being a bitch because I'm poor now."

Seriously. Just like that. Without a word from any of us. Members from ABC immediately called their Recruitment chair, as well as members from the third sorority on campus who were not there. The DEF member went straight to her sisters and pointed the girl out. Basically, she was blackballed. We were sure to keep an open mind when she showed up for the first two nights of Recruitment, but she didn't really redeem herself. We felt badly for her situation, but that wasn't enough to have any of the organizations see through her materialistic issues.

#2) PNM goes into ABC's room (we don't have houses - we hold our events in the Student Union on campus) and declares almost immediately that she heard ABC's chapter doesn't have any money so they're going to get shut down, so she doesn't want to join. ABC's chapter isn't going to get shut down, and they have no (and have never had any) financial problems. Needless to say the word wasn't spread far and wide - she got a bid from someone else but ABC's just glad not to deal with her.

Actives, don't spread rumors about the other chapters. Also, don't get your boyfriends to tell their friends to spread the rumors because you think it won't get back to you. It does.

#3) We take a quick photo to be added to their questionnaires when the women come through Recruitment. Two women, out of the entire group of PNMs, openly declared they would not be taking photos because they did not put makeup on that morning. That was fine, we do not force the photos to be taken...but then they went to ABCs room, were completely rude, did not talk to a single person, took photos of the room and complained that they weren't allowed to leave the room. The women went to XYZ's room next, and did the same thing. Rolled their eyes and acted awfully. Finally, they got to DEF. The org. they really wanted. They were perfect angels. Luckily, DEF's Panhell was the Recruitment Guide for that group. She made sure to tell her sisters how awful those two girls were, and they did not receive bids from anyone.

That was just to reiterate the post that girls do talk. And if you put down one house or act completely awful outside of the house you want? If there's any justice in the world, they'll find out.

Keep an open mind and don't listen to rumors. They're usually lies.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCGreek View Post
Luckily, DEF's Panhell was the Recruitment Guide for that group. She made sure to tell her sisters how awful those two girls were, and they did not receive bids from anyone.
That's funny, because when I was a recruitment guide during formal recruitment, I was instructed not to discuss PNMs or recruitment in general with ANY of my sisters, and I lived in the house. In fact, I was not to discuss them with ANY sorority members.

If that had been on my campus, and the PNM found out, she could (and probably would) file a recruitment infraction against that recruitment guide.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi

Hi, you all can call me Unique. Im in high school rite now (sophomore) and i REALLY want to be a zeta archonette, i luv everything about the blue and white family, but i dont know where to go or what to do about joining. I live in Irving, Tx but I've only been here for about 2 months so i dont know where, really, anything is. Can anyone help me, please?
Old 10-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzunique View Post
Hi, you all can call me Unique. Im in high school rite now (sophomore) and i REALLY want to be a zeta archonette, i luv everything about the blue and white family, but i dont know where to go or what to do about joining. I live in Irving, Tx but I've only been here for about 2 months so i dont know where, really, anything is. Can anyone help me, please?
http://www.zphib1920.org/membership/youth.html

It says here to contact a local Zeta chapter. You won't get information other than that online.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

When is a girl assured of a bid? Is it automatic after pref night?
Old 10-19-2008, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Can you tell me if your chapter would cut a legacy after pref night?
Old 10-19-2008, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phimufrenzy View Post
Everyone who is invited to preference round is going to be on the bid list somewhere. Where? That's up to the chapter. It's private membership selection info and you won't find it discussed on here.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
When is a girl assured of a bid? Is it automatic after pref night?
At most schools, a bid is not assured even if you attend preference night. That said, most Panhellenics will make every effort to place a woman who attends preference night and does not suicide/single intentional preference night.

Quote:
There are no "cuts" on preference night. Just rankings. Every PNM who attends a chapter on preference night will be ranked by that chapter somewhere. The question is whether that PNM will be ranked on the first bid list or farther down the list.

At most NPC sororities that I am aware of, if not all, legacies who attend preference night are automatically placed on the first bid list. I will use the example of Pi Phi, my org, since I know that is the case for us. So if you are a Pi Phi legacy who attends preference night and then ranks Pi Phi #1 on your card, then yes, you will be receiving a bid from Pi Phi, because the chapter is required to place you on the first bid list, and that's an automatic match.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey there,
I actually just have a question about the recruitment process.
I rushed this fall for any of the 8 Panhellenic sororities at my school. However, I was released after the first day of recruitment, which I thought was weird because most of the girls at my school who rushed usually get a bid unless they drop out of the recruitment process before Bid Day. I was pretty sure I didn't anger anyone in the sororities before the process, and I was myself and talked about stuff I liked but made sure to stay away from off-limit topics. I also made sure I was presentable, both inside and out, and my grades were high enough. So I was just wondering if you can think of any reason none of the sororities wanted to invite me back? Thank you!
Old 10-28-2008, 12:03 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Rain View Post
Hey there,
I rushed this fall for any of the 8 Panhellenic sororities at my school. However, I was released after the first day of recruitment, which I thought was weird because most of the girls at my school who rushed usually get a bid unless they drop out of the recruitment process before Bid Day. I was pretty sure I didn't anger anyone in the sororities before the process, and I was myself and talked about stuff I liked but made sure to stay away from off-limit topics. I also made sure I was presentable, both inside and out, and my grades were high enough. So I was just wondering if you can think of any reason none of the sororities wanted to invite me back? Thank you!
The Membership Selection process is private and the reasons why you were released will probably never be disclosed to you. Sorry.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Hey there,
There are any number of reasons, however the membership selection process of each sorority is private, so nobody here can really say for sure why you were released just because we weren't there and we aren't in any of those chapters.

These threads have a bit of insight for those who didn't receive bids, but again, it's hard to give concrete answers because there are so many factors and the process itself is private:

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...light=released
http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...#37;27t+picked

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 10-28-2008 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't try to change your personality and the way you dress, act, ect to try to fit into the sorority you want. If you get in you will most likely not get along with those girls because they only picked you for who they thought you were.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hey there,
I would say if you were released from all the Chapters there may have been an issue with your grades. I would say the vast majority of girls at our school that this happens to have a low GPA from high school or college or their grades are incorrect. There have been many women dropped because their grades are keyed into the system incorrectly.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor View Post
I would say if you were released from all the Chapters there may have been an issue with your grades. I would say the vast majority of girls at our school that this happens to have a low GPA from high school or college or their grades are incorrect. There have been many women dropped because their grades are keyed into the system incorrectly.
Do you know for sure that she was released because of her grades? Are you familiar with all 8 sororities she was released from? She did mention that her grades were high enough.

AXOrushadvisor, judging by this post and your lack of discretion when you just put your chapter's membership selection out there for all the world to see, I would say you're not that good of a rush advisor.