GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,534
1 members and 1,533 guests
nataliecavsoz41

Old 08-19-2009, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Transferring questions!!

So I recently became a pledge in a sorority which I love (I will be initiated in a few months) but I am wanting to transfer to another college next semester. I want to activate myself as a member in the same sorority at the transfer college because I love greek life. It just so happens that the college I want to transfer to is a major rival of my current one though, so I was wondering if y'all could give me your opinions...

-Do you know if there are any requirements or processes to join your sorority at a different school?

-Since the schools are rivals and I'm a transfer, will the sorority at the other college accept me as a valid member of their chapter?

-Do you think that the other college will be mean about the fact that I tranferred from their rival school?

-Will I make friends in the sorority at the new college even though I'm transferring mid year?

-Will my sorority sisters at my current college hate me because I'm transferring to the rival school?

**Any answers to these questions or even just your comments on the situation will help me a ton!**
Old 08-19-2009, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

We can't answer any of those questions, because it honestly depends on the chapter.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Transfer

I know that it depends on every chapter and every different school, but do you have any opinions at all? I just want to be prepared with what "could" happen. What would it be like in your chapter, for instance?
Old 08-19-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyE View Post
So I recently became a pledge in a sorority which I love (I will be initiated in a few months) but I am wanting to transfer to another college next semester. I want to activate myself as a member in the same sorority at the transfer college because I love greek life. It just so happens that the college I want to transfer to is a major rival of my current one though, so I was wondering if y'all could give me your opinions...

-Do you know if there are any requirements or processes to join your sorority at a different school?

-Since the schools are rivals and I'm a transfer, will the sorority at the other college accept me as a valid member of their chapter?

-Do you think that the other college will be mean about the fact that I tranferred from their rival school?

-Will I make friends in the sorority at the new college even though I'm transferring mid year?

-Will my sorority sisters at my current college hate me because I'm transferring to the rival school?

**Any answers to these questions or even just your comments on the situation will help me a ton!**

We can't really say how another chapter is going to feel about you.

Something to think about though:

Be sure that you KNOW the transfer policies of that chapter you're trying to join.

There are some members who think that they are automatically accepted to another chapter when they move there.

Depending on your sorority and chapter, this is not the case.

There have been girls who ended up having to become alumnae of their sorority as freshmen and sophomores because they were not accepted by a new chapter (for whatever reason).

I know that there are some chapters at larger schools who do not accept transfers because so many girls attempt to transfer in all the time.

So be sure you are up to date on the chapter and national policies.

I'd suggest contacting the chapter WELL before you plan on changing schools.

Also, consider the fact that every school is different and the chapter at your new school may be nothing like the one you are leaving.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-19-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

My Inatl's policy is that transfers cannot even be considered for affiliation until they have been on campus at least a semester so the Chapter can see grades. There is paperwork that needs to be completed by the Chapter of Initiation and sent to the new Chapter. It also requires a Chapter vote in favor of issuing an invitation to affiliate.

However as KSUViolet said, some Chapters have set a policy of not accepting any transfers. So do your research ahead of time, both about your I/natl policies and where you wish to transfer to.

As for the campus rivalry, in theory that shouldn't be held against anyone. An XYZ is an XYZ regardless of where she goes/went to school. Football, basketball, etc rivalries should be left on the field or court. In reality who knows? But you should be prepared to answer questions about why you transferred. Hopefully it's something like the previous campus didn't have the major you wanted, or the new one has a better rep in your major, or even you don't want to pay out of state tuition anymore. Following a boyfriend or getting away from an ex (unless he's psycho) won't impress anyone.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

Agreed. Also, once you are positive that you are transferring, consider letting your current chapter know your intentions well in advance. There may be paperwork on their end, and it's really just a considerate thing to do.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Excellent advice you have been given^^

I would just like to add that someone did transfer into my chapter and back in the day we welcomed her with open arms. It was obvious she was not a "fit" with our group. We all knew it and she knew it as well. No one was disrespectful, but it was rather obvious. She was the kindest and most loving person, but she just did not fit. This is one example of why chapters just don't allow people to be a member when they transfer from other schools.

For quite some time, I had heard stories of girls in Florida going to certain universities with their eyes on various sororities. They pledge and get initiated and then transfer to the larger universities where those chapters are top tier. This was becoming quite common and chapters had to have stronger rules in place about this. I am not sure how much this is going on now, but I am sure young ladies are still trying.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
There have been girls who ended up having to become alumnae of their sorority as freshmen and sophomores because they were not accepted by a new chapter (for whatever reason). . . .

So be sure you are up to date on the chapter and national policies.

I'm lane-swerving, I know, but shouldn't the OP also make sure she knows all of this before she is initiated? If she really wants to participate in Greek life as a collegiate, not as an alumna, and if she learns that the likelihood of transferring to the new chapter are not good but initiates anyway, then she has foreclosed the possibility of joining a different sorority at New School and she may well spend the next 3+ years of undergrad as an alumna member, right? But if she learns that the odds of transferring are not good and drops before initiation, she could go through recruitment at New School, right? Am I off-base on this?
Old 08-20-2009, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Please, please heed this excellent advice! We had an experience with a girl from my pledge class who joined with us, tried to transfer to another school, and the chapter did not accept her transfer. She did not do her research and it really hurt her. Each sorority has different policies and each individual chapter handles it differently. Start on this process now.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Examples of real life transfer stories:

We had two transfers while I was in school - one was awesome, she was a soph transfer, she clicked with us and fit right in. She even brought new ideas to the table. The reason she left her previous school was that it was a huge state school and it was just to big for her and she wanted something smaller and to be closer to home. (good reason to transfer)

The second, also a sopoh transfer, came to a couple of events and the relationship just never clicked. I don't know if it was that she was shy, or something like that, but it was her decision not to affiliate. She also transferred to our school because its where her boyfriend went. (bad reason to transfer)

I was friends with someoen who went through recruitment when I did who was a legacy to a specific chapter, but was under the impression if she was initiated on our campus she could transfer to huge highly-competitive SEC where the sorority was considered to be "top-tier". She ended up transfering to the SEC school but not affiliating - whether it was policy not to take transfers, a vote, or her decision, I don't know - though she said it was her choice.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyE View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
As for the campus rivalry, in theory that shouldn't be held against anyone. An XYZ is an XYZ regardless of where she goes/went to school. But you should be prepared to answer questions about why you transferred. Hopefully it's something like the previous campus didn't have the major you wanted, or the new one has a better rep in your major, or even you don't want to pay out of state tuition anymore.
As I read this, AbbyE, your post sent up lots of red flags for me. If you "recently pledged," you probably went through fall recruitment and pledged XYZ a week ago or less. You say you "love greek life," although school has either not/or barely started. And you already know that you want to transfer colleges NEXT SEMESTER? The obvious question is, then why didn't you start at the second college right off the bat?

For some reason, GC has lots of current posts/stories about girls trying to "transfer up" chapters--pledging XYZ where Greek life is not competitive or the desired chapter is not strong, and then transferring to another canmpus where XYZ is very hard to get into. Maybe I'm way off the mark, but I have to wonder if that's what you are trying to do. I personally don't think the girls at College #2 are going to care that the schools are rivals, they are going to care much more what your motivation for transferring is and how you will fit in their chapter. Similarly, I don't think your current sisters will "hate you" for transferring, unless they sense that they aren't good enough and you are trying to "trade up."

Zillini is on the mark when she says you should have some really good reasons for wanting to transfer. It just seems odd to me that you are planning a transfer this close to starting school.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I'm lane-swerving, I know, but shouldn't the OP also make sure she knows all of this before she is initiated? If she really wants to participate in Greek life as a collegiate, not as an alumna, and if she learns that the likelihood of transferring to the new chapter are not good but initiates anyway, then she has foreclosed the possibility of joining a different sorority at New School and she may well spend the next 3+ years of undergrad as an alumna member, right? But if she learns that the odds of transferring are not good and drops before initiation, she could go through recruitment at New School, right? Am I off-base on this?
No, you're right on. That's why she is smart to ask/find out this stuff now, before she initiates.

As far as it being a "rival" school, I don't think anyone will care about that unless she's the starting quarterback for the football team.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL66 View Post
As I read this, AbbyE, your post sent up lots of red flags for me. If you "recently pledged," you probably went through fall recruitment and pledged XYZ a week ago or less. You say you "love greek life," although school has either not/or barely started. And you already know that you want to transfer colleges NEXT SEMESTER? The obvious question is, then why didn't you start at the second college right off the bat?
Maybe a parent lost his/her job and she can't afford school #1 anymore.

Or maybe college #2 wouldn't let her in with her HS GPA or the classes she took and the classes she is taking at college #2 will remedy that.

I know it looks a little fishy, but there are people with legit reasons to do something like this.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
As far as it being a "rival" school, I don't think anyone will care about that unless she's the starting quarterback for the football team.
lol