GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,611
1 members and 2,610 guests
Tridentia

Old 08-19-2012, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

An Italian Recruitment

Today is Bid day for my daughter and after reading such nice stories on this site I thought I'd add hers to it! I brought my oldest child, let's call her Gina, to college OOS 4 days ago. Gina graduated from a fairly small (80) class in high school, had pretty good grades (3.2) considering her school had a tough grading scale (an 86 was a B, an 85 a C). She was very active and did a good amount of community service. She is attending a wonderful, medium sized college four hours from our home with an active Greek system, but smaller than most. Because I LOVE Italian food, well all food really, I have named each House after my favorite Italian pastas.... There are 5 sororities on campus
Cannelloni
Spaghetti
Lasagna
Linguini
Ziti
Gina is the first in our family to go through recruitment, I went to my large State school but didn't rush. I was an RA in a primarily Greek dorm and met such wonderful young women. I was excited for her when she told me her plans. What a great opportunity to meet friends for life!
Apparently recruitment here is not as intense as other schools, recs were not even addressed on any info we were given. She did obtain one from a family friend who offered. She picked out her outfits, thought about how to answer questions, packed her stuff, and off we went!
Move-in was hectic. We were glad that she arrived early though. Her roommate (random) was not arriving for 3 days so she got to pick her side. After 5 hours, two Wal-mart trips and a toe injury, she was settled in. Recruitment started that afternoon so we hugged and had a few tears (me, not her) and my husband and I started back home.
I was actually quite calm for the 4 hour ride back. I thought, she's happy and I'm handling this just fine. Until I got a block away from home and I just lost it!! I thought, I'm really not bringing her back with us am I? Boo-hooing for what seemed like hours. My husband tried to cheer me up (think Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory), "There, There, would you like a hot beverage?". And I waited to hear from Gina. And I waited. And waited.... Ughh!! Of course crazy thoughts flash through your mind. Did she get lost or hurt? Abducted?? I'm losing it here... When finally the phone rings.
Gina is elated! Loved the experience so far, met great girls, loving life but is ready for bed (me too)! She sampled all the pastas and said

Cannelloni- Nice, beautiful girls but the conversation lagged and she did not click with them. She said maybe because they were the first house and she was nervous, keeping an open mind.
Lasagna- Really liked this house, all the girls were very kind and seemed themselves, very impressed.
Spaghetti- A bit more formal than the others, everyone was nice.
Linguini- LOVED this house, felt right from the beginning, excited to learn more about them.
Ziti- Nice, very laid back. Maybe too laid back for Gina, but she said she is just getting started.

Will post more later if anyone is interested!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-19-2012, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

That's a... different grading system! Love the theme, waiting for more.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Cute theme (it's making me hungry, though)! Best of luck to Gina!
Old 08-19-2012, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiemommy View Post
She sampled all the pastas
I don't know why, but this part just made me laugh. I'm ready for seconds.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesquirrel View Post
I don't know why, but this part just made me laugh. I'm ready for seconds.

Me too! This should be an interesting story!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiemommy View Post
had pretty good grades (3.2) considering her school had a tough grading scale (an 86 was a B, an 85 a C).
My extremely competitive high school had this grading scale as well.

A=93-100
B=86-92
C=77-85
D=70-76
F=69 and below

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

More pasta please.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
My extremely competitive high school had this grading scale as well.

A=93-100
B=86-92
C=77-85
D=70-76
F=69 and below

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
It depended on the class, but each teacher could use whatever scale they wished. I had classes with this scale from elementary school through med school. One teacher told me, that it didn't matter what the scale was. It mattered who the teacher was. You'd get a B if you deserved a B no matter the scale.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-19-2012, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Day two the girls visited all Five houses again to get to know them better. I waited all day, moping around, eating a half bag of Pull N Peel Twizzlers. I must have checked my phone a hundred times! I went in late for work but was not very productive. I couldn't believe I had become so obsessed with this! I got a text from Gina after 7pm, she was settling in well, missed us but was keeping busy. She had to pick the four houses she'd like to return to for Philanthropy day. She chose :
Linguini
Lasagna
Spaghetti
Ziti
I talked to her on Day three early in the morning. It was our first Skype session ( boy did I look scary at 7 am) . She said she did not know where or if she'd be invited back to until later and that her phone would be given up. "Oh, ok. Have fun and keep an open mind. Keep me updated " I said nonchalantly. What I was thinking was "Good grief I 've got twelve hours of hell ahead of me. Please God, let her have at least one House on her callback list!". Luckily that evening Gina texted that she had two houses on her list.
Linguini and Lasagna! She was so happy! They were her top two picks and she was honored they wanted her back. She said she couldn't understand why some girls complained that they didn't get in certain houses even with a full card. She was grateful t have the two super houses still on hers. She was worried that she had an awkward moment at one house and hoped she didn't "look goofy". We had a great conversation and talked about what to expect next. I think it was therapeutic for both of us. I felt like my girl was surrounded by a kind group of young women and that in my heart it was going to be Ok . More soon, gotta feed my hungry family!!
Old 08-19-2012, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, final installment. Day four was Preference Day. Gina was up early and called me. She's an early bird, unlike her mother who needs coffee to function before 9 am. She was so nervous! She said her group leader inspected everyone's choice of outfit. She got the thumbs up on the cute dress we bought (and got a great deal on) at Macys. The shoes were a no go though. She suggested closed toe and heel flats. Not as fashionable but more appropriate and comfortable. I could tell Gina was tired mentally and physically. I think she was running on adrenalin, while I opted for Columbian dark brew. She felt a strong connection to Linguini, she said they were fun and upbeat and had an amazing sisterhood. Her one and only ref was to there as well so she thought it might bode well for her. Lasagna was full of sweet, energetic girls who also had a strong sisterhood. She could see herself in either and was anxious to see what the day would bring. After some good wishes and encouraging words she was off, and I was left to another Long.. ten..hours.
That night Gina called. After considering both she ranked
1. Linguini
2. Lasagna
Her stress that eve was not if she would get her number 1, but if she would get the dreaded call in the morning. We talked about how she would feel if this happened and about this whole process. When the yawning began we said our goodnights.
Which brings us to today.....

Ok no dreaded phone call!!! Gina texted all was right with the world and she would have a new home soon. Whew! One happy Momma so far.

While she was waiting for bids she texted her excitement again..it was getting closer.

Finally I got THE TEXT.... LASAGNA!!!
She said she was sad for a millisecond but realized she had an awesome house with incredible future sisters. She said she felt blessed to be part of this house. I called her to check the tone of her voice and there was a smile in it!!! She said she knew it was meant to be for her. She also realized how many of her new friends were Lasagnas too!! So now she is off to parties for the evening and what I expect to be memories of a lifetime as an

ALPHA DELTA PI. WoooHoo!!

Last edited by newbiemommy; 08-19-2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-19-2012, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to your daughter!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to you and your daughter. I am congratulating you as well because mom to mom it's harder on us than them.

(We love super strong coffee here as well.)
Old 08-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Congratulations on your DD's bid to Alpha Delta Pi!! Please tell her that she's welcome to join us on the ADPi Forum!!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
I loved the story. Yay for your daughter and ADPi!!
Old 08-20-2012, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

What a great attitude. Congratulations to your daughter and ADPi!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!