GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,158
3 members and 2,155 guests
Cookiez17

Old 05-09-2005, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

gpa question

is there a certain gpa requirement for rush at most schools if you're not a freshman?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-09-2005, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

yes. you should check with the panhellenic council on your campus for the gpa requirements at your school.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

gpa question

is there a certain gpa requirement for rush at most schools if you're not a freshman?

thanks!
Old 05-09-2005, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
It varies from school to school. Most require at least a 2.5 high school GPA. As a non-freshman, you would probably be held to a higher standard and your collegiate GPA would be used. I would say that you woul d at least need to have 3.0 or higher to be considered a likely candidate at most schools.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Dont forget, there are GPA requirments not only to rush by a GLO, but to keep up that GPA to Initiate and stay Active.

Remember, that is supposedly what you are in College for, to Graduate.

Just keep a 3.5-4.0 and a shoe in for a lot of Accolaides!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-09-2005, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astbunny
We don't have a functioning panhel at our school for many reasons out of our control. There are only 2 sororities at our school and we know the other one has pledged and initiated women that don't have the required GPA.....not even close. For they tried to rush our sorority and we wouldn't take them in the fall. Do certain nationals waive their required GPA? This sorority had to have 10 women by the end of the semester to stay a chapter, and they only have 7, including women that don't have the GPA...this could be why they rushed them to have the 10. They had 3 girls during the year depledge over the two semesters....that might be how they have their 10 by keeping the women on their roster...but i was just curious. There doesn't seem to be anything we can do about these rush infractions. We bid some girls in the spring who accepted, participated in greek week, and were coming to formal, but then this sorority went to them and told these women they automatically owed us 75 dollars for signing our bid agreement....it's making the system very unattractive.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by astbunny
We don't have a functioning panhel at our school for many reasons out of our control. There are only 2 sororities at our school and we know the other one has pledged and initiated women that don't have the required GPA.....not even close. For they tried to rush our sorority and we wouldn't take them in the fall. Do certain nationals waive their required GPA? This sorority had to have 10 women by the end of the semester to stay a chapter, and they only have 7, including women that don't have the GPA...this could be why they rushed them to have the 10. They had 3 girls during the year depledge over the two semesters....that might be how they have their 10 by keeping the women on their roster...but i was just curious. There doesn't seem to be anything we can do about these rush infractions. We bid some girls in the spring who accepted, participated in greek week, and were coming to formal, but then this sorority went to them and told these women they automatically owed us 75 dollars for signing our bid agreement....it's making the system very unattractive.
If the other sorority is an NPC group, you should have a campus Panhellenic. It is the duty of the group who was on campus first to initiate the process to form the panhellenic. If they don't do so - after they are reminded of it - the other group should.

Do you mean some of the women do not have the school required GPA, or the national required? Because their minimum may be different than your minimum. If they're breaking a school rule it's up to the school to enforce it. Same if they're breaking a sorority rule, it's up to their nationals to check up on it.

With the 10 women thing, again, is this something the school instituted or something their nationals said? Again, it's up to the school/national to enforce the rules they make.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

With the panhel thing. It's a big mess here. They were here first but 3 years ago they wouldn't do it anymore they didnt care. Then this year at the beginning of the year the head of greek affairs came to me and told me he had a meeting with some national representatives of that group and they had decided to close....they have 2 girls on campus and they didn't want to do anything so they made these girls alumnae. Then all of a sudden a couple months later a lady from another school came and is restarting the chapter...not recolonizing, just starting like they are still there. The 2 girls that were made alumnae previously were not involved in the chapter. By the greek affairs person he said it wasn't being done legally that she was from another school but he isn't the bet greek affairs person and when they put their papers in to be an organization recognized by campus they have to accept all of them. He doesn't really do anything. We have met with the other sorority and we asked their president about it and she said it has been taken care of and asked us how we knew. As to our school panhel i think it is a 2.3 but there really isn't any way to enforce it is seems. This group nationally requires a GPA of, I think, a 2.5 but regardless this girl has a 1. something, and we aren't sure about the others. It would be something, I figure, their nationals should not let them do but they probably don't know. The 10 girls was set by their nationals, that was told to us by their chapter consultant in a meeting we had to try to get panhel restarted. We would help this chapter recruit. We are all in need, but we aren't going to help when they are going to women that accept our bids and harassing them, and pledging and initiating women that don't have the GPA. There doesn't seem any way of enforcing anything. It's making things bad for us.

Last edited by astbunny; 05-10-2005 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gpb1874
honestly, i would contact your local NPC area representative. you can find her by going to http://www.npcwomen.org/college/c_advisors.php and looking for your school or one that is close to it. mine isn't listed, so that's what i did and the advisor was great. she can direct you as to what to do.

tell her what is going on with DZ supposedly trying to start up again without going through the right steps. you might also call DZ's headquarters as they may have no idea what is going on. i don't imagine they would stand for this to happen - it all sounds too fishy.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by astbunny
With the panhel thing. It's a big mess here. They were here first but 3 years ago they wouldn't do it anymore they didnt care. Then this year at the beginning of the year the head of greek affairs came to me and told me he had a meeting with some DZ national representatives of that group and they had decided to close....they have 2 girls on campus and they didn't want to do anything so they made these girls alumnae. Then all of a sudden a couple months later a lady from another school came and is restarting the chapter...not recolonizing, just starting like they are still there. The 2 girls that were made alumnae previously were not involved in the chapter.
I think we discussed on here before that if you close a chapter, you have up to a year to restart it/recolonize it without going through Panhel (which of course is a moot point in this case since you have no Panhel).

gpb1874 is right, call your NPC rep.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

It can be hard to get panhell started on campus' with very few NPC groups. The group I advise has not been able to get the other NPC to cooperate, so stick with it and keep doing a great job.

Ps- Shelly I sent you an email about the GPA thing.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all so much for your help!! I hope things will get better soon.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

May I add my 2¢? Please remember that Panhel may have one required GPA, but each chapter can set their own GPA, too. In other words, the Panhel GPA for upperclassmen may be 2.75, but XYZ Chapter may require a 3.25.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

As honeychile said, GPAs may vary.

Many Times, the Local Chapters try to set a Higher GPA. I would try to plan on having a Higher GPA which ever was the highest.

While not only helping Your Chapter, you will Graduate in a Better position.

I dont know how many GLOs do, but LXA has Scholarship money to help Those with Higher GPAs. Might be something to look into!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-25-2005, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to slayerzbt
At my school I believe you have to have at least a 2.25 or 2.5 cumulative GPA to go greek. This is based on college performance, nothing to do with high school grades. So lets say you joined as a junior. Your cumulative GPA (averaged from all semesters completed) would have to be at least 2.25 for you to be eligible.

Last edited by slayerzbt; 06-25-2005 at 08:09 PM.