GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,142
1 members and 1,141 guests
zabryashulze790

Old 03-06-2010, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Some questions about recruitment.

I am new to the sorority scene. I graduated in 2008 and plan on attending the University of Kentucky in the fall of 2010. I attended a private university until I had knee surgery and wasn't able to compete at the college level for sports.

I am very interested in joining a sorority, and just have a few questions?

How important are recommendations? None of my family has ever been greek and I'm not sure where to go to get a recommendation.

This may seem silly, but how important is financial status? My family doesn't have a lot of money. I know that actually being in the sorority costs money, but are members not looked up to because of families financial status?

Joining the greek system is very important to me and I just don't want to end up going somewhere and not get in at any of the sororities.

Any other general tips or anything would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-06-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnm2012 View Post
I am new to the sorority scene. I graduated in 2008 and plan on attending the University of Kentucky in the fall of 2010. I attended a private university until I had knee surgery and wasn't able to compete at the college level for sports.

I am very interested in joining a sorority, and just have a few questions?

How important are recommendations? None of my family has ever been greek and I'm not sure where to go to get a recommendation.

This may seem silly, but how important is financial status? My family doesn't have a lot of money. I know that actually being in the sorority costs money, but are members not looked up to because of families financial status?

Joining the greek system is very important to me and I just don't want to end up going somewhere and not get in at any of the sororities.

Any other general tips or anything would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much
Recs are important.

Not every girl in a sorority at UK has tons of money. Sure there probably some who are wealthy, but it's statistically impossble for everyone in a sorority at UK to come from money.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 03-06-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Where would I look to get a rec if I don't know anyone that is an alumni of the sorority?? Or do they have to be an alum? Sorry if these seem silly, but I haven't got a clue.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnm2012 View Post
Where would I look to get a rec if I don't know anyone that is an alumni of the sorority?? Or do they have to be an alum? Sorry if these seem silly, but I haven't got a clue.
If you scroll to the bottom of the page, there are links to similar posts. You can also use the SEARCH button to answer these questions. You can also check your school's Panhellenic website, or the websites of the chapters on campus.

Good luck.

ETA: Go to this page http://www.ukpanhellenic.com/page.php?page_id=17744 and find the link that says "Click here to view the Sorority Recruitment Book".

It's the 2009 edition, but includes info about recommendations.

Last edited by ree-Xi; 03-06-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with ree, definitely search some of the older threads on here. They all provided me with invaluable information before I went through recruitment. And about the money situation: not every girl in a sorority has a ton of money. I actually have several sisters who work and pay for their sorority dues themselves, with no help from their parents at all. Don't let that fear hold you back one bit.