GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,830
1 members and 1,829 guests
Joobee

Old 05-14-2008, 06:37 AM
GreekChat Member

A few FSU questions! need help!!

--sorry if this is a repeat of anything--

So I am really wanting to join a sorority at FSU but i am feeling completely clueless as I begin to 'try' to research them.
If anyone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it!

~What do people usually wear recruitment week?(dont want to be over/under dressed)
~How do I get a rec letter?
~Is there any key things I should know for recruitment week(major faux paus, etc)?
~Is sorority life very demanding?(will I be able to keep up with grades while being involved?)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-14-2008, 08:01 AM
GreekChat Member

To be short and sweet-all of the answers to your questions are on Greek Chat.

Use your search button and seek out each and every one of them. There is a wealth of information for your benefit. If after that, you do not find what you are looking for please post your question(s) and everyone will be more than happy to help. Everything you have asked has been covered time and time again here.

Good Luck to you!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

you will receive a recruitment booklet that gives a brief synopsis of each greek group and includes the daily schedule and some photos of what to wear each day. i always recommend that fsu pnms dress a little dressier than what is recommended. for instance, on a day where they say wear khaki shorts(philanthrophy day) wear a cute khaki skirt instead. instead of athletic shoes, wear topsiders or a cute pair of strappy, flat sandals.

whatever you wear shoewise, break them in. walking up and down those hills will certainly cause a blister or two in a pair of new shoes.

you will need recommendations. your best sources will be teachers and former teachers, friends of your parents, parents of your friends, ladies from church,neighbors and relatives.second, i would contact any friends you know that have joined a sorority-they may know an alumna who lives in your town, or they themselves might be able to write a rec. for you. some sororities allow their collegians to write recs., others don't. next i would contact any almunae panhellenic chapters which might be located in or near your town.

there is a wonderful thread entitled"what not to do or say during rush" located in the recruitment forum. read it. quick tips:be diplomatic, even if you are at a sorority that you ranked low. they saw something in you that they liked and they wanted to ask you back. be interested and interesting at the party. you may change your mind about that group so don't burn any bridges.

your first semester will be the most demanding because you will have new member meetings as well as chapter meetings too. the sororities will give you a well planned out calendar for the entire semester probably at your first new member meeting and you will be able to plan your weeks and your studying accordingly. sororities are about community service and having fun, but they are also about grades-grades are very important and every member is expected to make good grades. as long as you are determined to practice good time management, you keep up with your homework, lab and reading assignments, recognize a problem if you aren't comprehending something and seek help from your instructor or a tutor you should do fine.

i recommend a terrific book that i like to give as a graduation gift-i wish that it had been around when i was in school! it is [U]how to win at collegeby cal newport. it is a quick, but excellent read and is based on information and tips he collected from successful, involved students around the country.

incidentally, you can go to the greek life page on the fsu website and there may still be a link to last years greek guide. there has been a link in the past. it is in pdf form. i think it is called "the renegade", but i could be wrong. maybe phigam can give us the correct name.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 05-14-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
http://greeklife.fsu.edu/PH/recruitment.html

And yes, it is called the Renegade and it is usually mailed to all incoming freshmen.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:16 PM

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=54403

Try to read as much of this link as you can, it's got alot of good info in it, but I'd read the FSU recruitment site first.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
you will receive a recruitment booklet that gives a brief synopsis of each greek group and includes the daily schedule and some photos of what to wear each day. i always recommend that fsu pnms dress a little dressier than what is recommended. for instance, on a day where they say wear khaki shorts(philanthrophy day) wear a cute khaki skirt instead. instead of athletic shoes, wear topsiders or a cute pair of strappy, flat sandals.

whatever you wear shoewise, break them in. walking up and down those hills will certainly cause a blister or two in a pair of new shoes.

you will need recommendations. your best sources will be teachers and former teachers, friends of your parents, parents of your friends, ladies from church,neighbors and relatives.second, i would contact any friends you know that have joined a sorority-they may know an alumna who lives in your town, or they themselves might be able to write a rec. for you. some sororities allow their collegians to write recs., others don't. next i would contact any almunae panhellenic chapters which might be located in or near your town.

there is a wonderful thread entitled"what not to do or say during rush" located in the recruitment forum. read it. quick tips:be diplomatic, even if you are at a sorority that you ranked low. they saw something in you that they liked and they wanted to ask you back. be interested and interesting at the party. you may change your mind about that group so don't burn any bridges.

your first semester will be the most demanding because you will have new member meetings as well as chapter meetings too. the sororities will give you a well planned out calendar for the entire semester probably at your first new member meeting and you will be able to plan your weeks and your studying accordingly. sororities are about community service and having fun, but they are also about grades-grades are very important and every member is expected to make good grades. as long as you are determined to practice good time management, you keep up with your homework, lab and reading assignments, recognize a problem if you aren't comprehending something and seek help from your instructor or a tutor you should do fine.

i recommend a terrific book that i like to give as a graduation gift-i wish that it had been around when i was in school! it is [U]how to win at collegeby cal newport. it is a quick, but excellent read and is based on information and tips he collected from successful, involved students around the country.

incidentally, you can go to the greek life page on the fsu website and there may still be a link to last years greek guide. there has been a link in the past. it is in pdf form. i think it is called "the renegade", but i could be wrong. maybe phigam can give us the correct name.
Im not sure if they're finished with the renegade yet but all of the information on it from last year is still on the website. ADPi won cheers for charity again and AXO won Dance Marathon again.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone!! I appreciate it!!