GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,196
2 members and 2,194 guests
Cookiez17, Overthinker

Old 06-29-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Thanks!

I hope the Basics palette is a little less expensive, as it appears the full palette is $54

(I'm generally a drugstore makeup shopper, in case that isn't obvious)
IT cosmetics has a palette called Naturally Pretty that is very nice. It is $42 I think, and usually on line you can find 10-20% off somewhere. The Ulta salesperson said it was IT's attempt to take the best from the 3 UD Naked palettes in one, less expensive palette. Personally, I would go to Ulta or Sephora and play with the UD Naked palettes, and go with one of those. I consider them staples and well worth the money. The color payoff is awesome so you don't use a lot of product.

ETA: the Basics palette is less expensive, but doesn't get the rave reviews that the Naked palettes do, so make sure it works for you before investing in it.

ETA again: to get your shadow to last all day, try a primer. They aren't expensive and work great. I know there must be drugstore primers that are fine. I like Too Faced Shadow Insurance, Urban Decay Primer Potion or MAC paint pots. Hate Laura Mercier and Clinique primers.

Last edited by irishpipes; 06-29-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-29-2014, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Nars Orgasm

Nars Orgasm is over-rated.

It looks good on fair-skinned ladies.

I suggest that if you want to try it out, get it in one of the blush palettes.

Tarte 12 Hour Blush in Glisten is a nice alternative that lasts longer.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Who makes a good, neutral color palette that will stay in place all day long?
I've had a good experience with MAC. I put an eensy bit of foundation on the eye area, then apply my eye makeup. I go for the green/blue/purple color range - but with the foundation, I find that I don't have little purple lines living in the creases above my eyelids by noon The same trick should work for neutral colors, and MAC has a decent selection of neutrals.

That said, I have zero brand loyalty. I've had a good experience with Clinique as well (I've been using their skin care products since I was a teenager).

What works, works.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I have been using a neutral eyeshadow quad from ELF (and they're blush too when I feel ambitious). Pretty inexpensive & conveniently at Target, but no clue if I'd be getting better color saturation or lasting power from other brands.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, I caved, splurged, and bought UD's Naked palette. I'm sold. I threw out most of the other eye shadows I had. This is probably all I'll buy going forward.

I was back and forth between Naked and Naked 2, but ultimately I went with the former. I might try the latter the next time around.

Thanks, ladies

@~/~~~~
Old 07-05-2014, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I just ordered some new makeup from MAC. I made my own eye shadow palette with a couple of neutrals. I don't like going too crazy with eye makeup.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Has anyone tried a setting spray? I'm headed to Orlando at the end of this month and am looking at Urban Decay De-slick setting spray. My skin is pretty oily and heat and humidity tend to make it even slimier. I use Bare Minerals for foundation and I prime with their oil control primer.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
Has anyone tried a setting spray? I'm headed to Orlando at the end of this month and am looking at Urban Decay De-slick setting spray. My skin is pretty oily and heat and humidity tend to make it even slimier. I use Bare Minerals for foundation and I prime with their oil control primer.
I haven't every used De-slick because I know I would get it in my hair. I know lots of people who love it. For oil control in the summer I like to use Makeup Forever Mat Velvet + foundation (on days I want more coverage than a CC cream.) I find that foundation never turns slimy or shiny (but it is a bit too dry for winter.)
Old 07-05-2014, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have the same problem. This is what I use and I love it. http://skindinavia.com/products/the-...l-control.html
Old 07-05-2014, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the recommendation! I think Skindanavia is the go to company for setting spray. They've manufactured the setting sprays by Mary Kay and Urban Decay.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maconmagnolia View Post
I've heard great things about NARS Orgasm, and it seems like a lot of people on this thread love it. I'm just wondering if it would look okay on someone with a tanner complexion? I lifeguard in the summer and get pretty dark. Maybe I should wait until I'm paler in the winter to use it.
I have that one, but I actually like "Deep Throat" better (sorry for the awful name). It's kind of the same color, but less shimmer and better color payoff IMHO.

Quote:
Ok, I caved, splurged, and bought UD's Naked palette. I'm sold. I threw out most of the other eye shadows I had. This is probably all I'll buy going forward.

I was back and forth between Naked and Naked 2, but ultimately I went with the former. I might try the latter the next time around.

Thanks, ladies
You won't be disappointed! I have a zillion MAC shadows, but I pretty much use just the Naked palettes I have now. Great to travel with, too!
Old 07-14-2014, 06:46 PM

2 new products to review:

Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation
Yes, I admit I had to order it from the UK (Amazon) since they don't sell in the US, but I've always wanted to try it. I love it! Even with shipping, it was only $20. It smells great and is very buildable without seeming heavy. I usually use a CC cream in the summer, but this has good coverage when I want to be a bit more made up than a tinted moisturizer.

Estée Lauder Artist's Eye Pencil in soft smudge brown. My mom gave this to me (she got it free as part of a set or something.) oh my gosh it is as hard as a real pencil. I thought I would gauge my eyes out trying to apply it. I couldn't get any kind of smooth line and then of course it wouldn't smudge at all since it was like I used a Ticonderoga on my eyes. That is going straight to the trash.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I didn't even know setting spray was a thing! But my skin is also pretty oily, so maybe I'll have to look into it.

I'm learning so much from this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Estée Lauder Artist's Eye Pencil in soft smudge brown. My mom gave this to me (she got it free as part of a set or something.) oh my gosh it is as hard as a real pencil. I thought I would gauge my eyes out trying to apply it. I couldn't get any kind of smooth line and then of course it wouldn't smudge at all since it was like I used a Ticonderoga on my eyes. That is going straight to the trash.
Looks like there's a reason it was free…

Although, sometimes makeup freebies are great, but sometimes they're just downright awful.

@~/~~~~
Old 03-10-2021, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Bringing up this old thread because I only just found out that the Becca brand is being discontinued in September, which saddens me. They did seem to focus a lot lately on very shiny highlighters, but they had good foundations, and the Ultimate Lipstick Love lipsticks are great.

I have a bunch of the lipsticks, which I got on National Lipstick Day sales at Ulta and Macy's, and a stash of foundations acquired at Marshall's. I wonder whether to stock up on things now or wait until there are clearance sales, though by that time the good stuff might be gone.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellfish View Post
Bringing up this old thread because I only just found out that the Becca brand is being discontinued in September, which saddens me. They did seem to focus a lot lately on very shiny highlighters, but they had good foundations, and the Ultimate Lipstick Love lipsticks are great.

I have a bunch of the lipsticks, which I got on National Lipstick Day sales at Ulta and Macy's, and a stash of foundations acquired at Marshall's. I wonder whether to stock up on things now or wait until there are clearance sales, though by that time the good stuff might be gone.
If you really like it and will use it, Always Buy Now when you find it! Especially a product that won't easily get old/glummy/faded in temporary storage over time.

You never know who will try to buy-out something that's being discontinued, then how much they will try to get you to buy it for later over the interwebs.

Comparing apples to oranges, but as an example: I looked for and now own two extra, workable, clean but discontinued clock radios purchased at thrift stores just because I loved the brand and its features so much I couldn't see myself waking up in the morning to any other style of alarm/music.

Last edited by Cheerio; 03-10-2021 at 11:26 AM.