GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,371
0 members and 1,371 guests
No Members online

Old 12-02-2003, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Catholic Founded/Based Colleges and Universities

This may not be the appropriate forum for this Question, but I'm hoping that it is...so here it goes!

I live in an area where there are an abundance of Catholic founded colleges and universities. None of these institutions support Greek Letter Organizations. Many even state on their websites under "campus organizations" that they do not support Greek organizations because of the exclusivity of the nature of the groups. I was wondering if this is consistent with all Catholic Institutions or if it is just the geographical area. Does anyone here attend a Catholic founded university that is in a GLO? I know that other denominational based universities support GLO's such as Methodist (That's the only one that I know of actually). Does anyone have any insight into this topic?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-02-2003, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cluey Send a message via Yahoo to Cluey
I know of several Baptist schools that have greek life.

Just a sidenote
Old 12-02-2003, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Loyola University in New Orleans is a Catholic university, but it also has social GLOs. In fact, I'm pretty sure there is a Gamma Phi on the boards from Loyola and I'm friends with an alum of that chapter. So, I guess it's not all of the Catholic institutions, but I can't speak for the rest of them
Old 12-02-2003, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to APhiRattlerGal Send a message via Yahoo to APhiRattlerGal
I live in a city where there are several Catholic founded universites, mine being one of them. We have both men and womens social sorority and fraternities. Another catholic univ here also has GLOs. So its not just a Catholic thing. I am proud to say that St. Mary's supports Greek Life to the fullest!
Old 12-02-2003, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to winnieb
I went to Avila University-- Catholic based and supportive of the then Greek system.

Rockhurst College, also in KC, Catholic based, and they have a good Greek system.

-wendi
Old 12-02-2003, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Well I don't know how supportive the administrations of greek but around NYC I know St. John's and St. Francis have Greek Life (though probably not too big but that's more of a NYC/Commuter student thing i guess) Also I know Villanova has pretty big Greek Life.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Creighton and Marquette are the first two that come to my mind, and both have Greek life. Gamma Phi is currently active at Creighton. Right now Marquette has 4 NPC sororities: Alpha Phi, Alpha Xi Delta, Alpha Chi Omega, and Pi Beta Phi. Kappa Beta Gamma was also founded here, so I wouldn't say that it's a standard policy. If you do a search on this you can find some old threads on it - some schools, such as Creighton, have guaranteed bid placement.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Re: Catholic Founded/Based Colleges and Universities

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyBug103
This may not be the appropriate forum for this Question, but I'm hoping that it is...so here it goes!

I live in an area where there are an abundance of Catholic founded colleges and universities. None of these institutions support Greek Letter Organizations. Many even state on their websites under "campus organizations" that they do not support Greek organizations because of the exclusivity of the nature of the groups. I was wondering if this is consistent with all Catholic Institutions or if it is just the geographical area. Does anyone here attend a Catholic founded university that is in a GLO? I know that other denominational based universities support GLO's such as Methodist (That's the only one that I know of actually). Does anyone have any insight into this topic?
PLEASE STATE YOUR AREA, AND THE EXACT INSTITUTIONS FOR WHICH YOU REFER!!!

It is difficult to answer your question correctly while playing guessing games.

Last edited by PhiPsiRuss; 12-02-2003 at 05:00 AM.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:40 AM

Kentucky schools

Georgetown College in Georgetown, KY (just outside Lexington) is a Christian school with greek life.

As for Catholic schools, Spalding University in Louisville does not have greek life. Bellarmine University (also Louisville) does have greek life. They have a Phi Mu chapter, which I believe is the only sorority. They also have a chapter of Alpha Delta Gamma. Historically the co-ed business fraternities have been strong and basically run like our socially based GLOs, with extreme competition to get into the "right" one (they have Delta Sigma Pi and Phi Beta Lambda.) Things may have changed in recent years, but it would not surprise me if this is still true there!
Old 12-02-2003, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

I am an alum of a Catholic founded University -- Siena Heights University, in Adrian, MI-- and we have 2 sororities and 2 fraternities...Phi Sigma Sigma (of course!) and Alpha Sigma Tau, Pi Lambda Phi, and Psi Upsilon.

So it's not a Catholic thing!

Amanda
Old 12-02-2003, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Catholic Founded/Based Colleges and Universities

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyBug103

I am an alum of Georgetown University (not to be confused with Georgetown College, which was already mentioned -- hey y'all!) and they did not support Greek life for the same reasons that you have mentioned.

Alpha Phi Omega, Delta Sigma Pi, and Delta Phi Epsilon Professional Foreign Service Fraternity and Sorority are all strong there, perhaps because of the absence of the traditional system.

The following BGLO's and LGLO's have had members from Georgetown joining city-wide or core chapters at other schools: Alpha Phi Alpha, Alpha Kappa Alpha, Kappa Alpha Psi, Omega Psi Phi (no members since the late 90's), Delta Sigma Theta, Phi Beta Sigma (first and only members pledged in 1977), Zeta Phi Beta (first member pledged in '03), Lambda Upsilon Lambda, Lambda Pi Chi, and Malika Kambe Umfazi.

Alpha Epsilon Pi is, to my knowledge, the first general fraternity established at Georgetown. They were established a few years ago, and are not recognized by the university, but of course are recognized by their national organization.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: New Orleans. Or pure unpenetrable evil, depending on what I feel like at the moment.
Send a message via AIM to GPhiLlama Send a message via Yahoo to GPhiLlama
Yep, there is a Gamma Phi from Loyola New Orleans here. In fact, our former president is a Greek. There's a pretty active Greek life, even though we're kind of small. Just depends on the school, looks like.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:24 AM

Duquesne University, a Catholic university in Pittsburgh, has a greek system.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:30 AM
Banned

I did most of my undergraduate work at St. Norbert College in DePere, WI and they definitely have Greek Life (I think they are up to 5 sororities and 7 fraternities). I'm also currently doing graduate work through Franscican University of Steuvenville, OH - VERY Catholic school - and they have a small greek life. I would have to agree that it is definitely NOT a Catholic thing - as there are public schools/non-religious private schools that have completely abolished Greek Life.

Sarah
Old 12-02-2003, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Catholic Founded/Based Colleges and Universities

Quote:
Originally posted by russellwarshay
PLEASE STATE YOUR AREA, AND THE EXACT INSTITUTIONS FOR WHICH YOU REFER!!!

It is difficult to answer your question correctly while playing guessing games.

I live in the Northeast PA area, and attend Wilkes University in Wilkes-Barre, which is adament about not supporting greek life because of the reason that I have stated. The institutions surrounding me don't support greek orgs. , such as Kings College, College Miseracordia, The University of Scranton (which is a Jesuit University), Johnson College, Bible Baptist College, Penn State Branch Campuses (which is a state university obviously, but don't have greek systems because only the main campus does), Marywood University, Lackawanna County Community College. Not ALL of these are Catholic based but the majority are, and it seems as though its consistent that they don't support greek orgs. due to many reasons, which I dont agree with.
Thank you for all of your messages, I wasn't sure if it was a universal thing!! I'm glad that its not!! Now all I have to do is TRANSFER