GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,170
1 members and 1,169 guests
Low D Flat

Old 07-26-2017, 01:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Select-A-Sis

Are your chapters using Select-A-Sis for recruitment? Does anyone have experience with this method for voting? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-26-2017, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe there are a number of NPCs that use them on a national level. What exactly are you wanting to know?
Old 07-26-2017, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

For those of us who haven't been advising recently, what type of program is it?
Old 07-26-2017, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

honeychile - I started to type something out and realized the description from their website is better:

"Select-A-Sis is a web-based application that allows chapter members to vote electronically on PNMs on any internet-connected device between rounds. Select-A-Sis manages and securely stores recruitment data while chapter leadership views the results in real time."
Old 07-26-2017, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaXi_Husky View Post
honeychile - I started to type something out and realized the description from their website is better:

"Select-A-Sis is a web-based application that allows chapter members to vote electronically on PNMs on any internet-connected device between rounds. Select-A-Sis manages and securely stores recruitment data while chapter leadership views the results in real time."
How good is the program at keeping out hackers? As in, are we going to read something later on that site regarding actual information gleaned from a campus hack of a few chapters sites?
Old 07-26-2017, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
How good is the program at keeping out hackers? As in, are we going to read something later on that site regarding actual information gleaned from a campus hack of a few chapters sites?
That's a good question - I'm actually not sure. I mean, I've never seen or heard anything about a hack and have been using it for a couple years but that's anecdotal.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaXi_Husky View Post

Thank you! Assuming this isn't hacked, this could be a wonderful time saver!
Old 07-26-2017, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
I have some experience with it in the past from when I was covering recruitment as our recruitment advisor was due with her first child the day after bid day but it's been about two years. Once we figured out the system, it was a tremendous time-saver!
Old 07-27-2017, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Trying to imagine what would happen if this were hacked.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

We've been using it for several years and I'm not aware of any issues, aside from making sure you have the wifi capability to handle many sisters logging in at the same time to vote.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

We're switching over to Select-a-Sis this fall. I'm excited to see how it goes for us!
Old 07-27-2017, 10:56 PM

This worries me on so many levels.

What is this, Tinder for sororities? Swipe right for PNMs you met during a particular round and you had a good convo, swipe left for PNMs you met and didn't click with? What is the default for PNMs you didn't meet? If there are 100 actives and 30 PNMs per party, not every active is going to meet every PNM during (say) open house, so is that an automatic swipe left?

How secure is it?

How much does it expose a sorority's membership selection process to third parties - and to PNMs who want to know why they were / weren't invited back or offered a bid and who specifically voted against them?

<-- studying cybersecurity
Old 07-27-2017, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

https://vimeo.com/115197277

Here's a video of how it's used. I skimmed it because I didn't want to watch an hour and a half of training, but it looks like only sisters who met that PNM would score her in between rounds and then the scores would be tabulated and used however the chapter needed them.

I can't speak to security, but I am amused by the thought of Russians trying to hack a sorority PNM election, so to speak.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:49 AM
GreekChat Member

My chapter converted to electronic voting this year. As it was my first year of recruitment, I don't know how they operated prior, but we use MyVote by TechniPhi. I liked it, personally. We were able to access it on our phones and everything was simple to use. We could only access PNMs for that round as actives, so there was no chance of editing or falsely voting, as any changes after the short period feedback was open had to be done through the computer team.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Phi Beta was first to adopt Select-A-Sis about seven or so years ago when it first came out. It was a Gamma Phi Beta who pioneered the idea and her engineering major boyfriend (now husband) and his friend helped get the system built.

Specifically, I recall that the chapter I was assisting with was one of the first to pilot the program in around 2011. We alumnae used to sit in a room and tabulate scores by hand from paper slips. Now, the members can enter scores using their cell phones and tablets. It works out great. Like Sciencewoman commented, the biggest issue we encountered was making sure that the chapter's wifi system is robust enough to handle so many sisters logging in at once. Otherwise, it makes scoring so much easier.

With regard to the many questions/concerns posted here. Honestly, I think the worries about being hacked are unfounded. We have to ask ourselves if someone would really have the time and inclination to hack into a sorority recruitment system. I think that's a little over the top. Remember, we score PNMs and then send our invite lists to Panhellenic.

-- Some Panhellenics have chapters e-mail a spreadsheet with the invite list on it. Some in the past may have even hand-delivered it. How secure is that? Couldn't someone hack into the Panhellenic e-mail and read invite lists? Or intercept a paper copy of the lists?

-- Many Panhellenics across the country use ICS to have PNMs register for recruitment and that's where the party lists are generated by Panhellenic. We have to upload our invite lists to ICS website. Do we have any reports of people hacking into ICS to read where Suzy Q got her invites back? Or to sneak a peek at the return rates of specific chapters?

-- The previous process of writing on paper slips wasn't exactly secure either. Nothing says "security" like having hundreds of little pieces of paper floating around. I could totally imagine some chapter throwing those in the trash after recruitment and having someone pull them out of the trash to read them. Also, many chapters/sororities use notebooks to jot down specific notes about a PNM she met. Where did all of those paper notes go after recruitment?

-- Even if someone did get into Select-A-Sis for nefarious reasons, the most they will probably see is a series of numeric scores and not comments on the PNM herself. <shrug> I'm not sure what "juicy" info someone would get from that.

-- No, Select-A-Sis is not like Tinder for sororities. You don't swipe left on a PNM's picture to pitch her into the virtual trash. Let's not get carried away here. I can't get too deep into it for membership selection reasons; but,it is nearly the exact same as before except that it's now electronic scoring. Members who met the PNM are simply entering a score after each round. Instead of writing it on a piece of paper and handing it in, they now type it on their tablet or phone and it gets put into the system for easy calculation and sorting by the alumnae upstairs who are helping coordinate.

I hope this helps!

True and Constant

Last edited by navane; 07-28-2017 at 02:55 PM.