GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,448
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Theanex
» Online Users: 2,263
3 members and 2,260 guests
flamboyanttree, naraht, Xidelt

Old 01-07-2008, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Christmas Seals Information?

Does anyone have any resources that would show which Christmas Seal design was made in which year? Was there an Angelos article about them that someone could copy or scan?

I just got a package of KD seals from 1931-78, (except for 73) and they are unmounted. Most of the seals didn't have the date incorporated as part of the design. I plan to have these framed, and want to get them in order if I can.

They are beautiful--and it is fun to see how graphic design styles and tastes have changed over the years. I remember the ones when I was an active, and it makes me wish I had saved one from each of the years since then.

Anyway, thanks in advance! Any help will be appreciated. Also, keep a good thought for Gamma Nu, Miami of Ohio. Formal Recruitment starts on Wednesday with open houses. Recruitment at Miami is highly competitive.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-07-2008, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
Does anyone have any resources that would show which Christmas Seal design was made in which year? Was there an Angelos article about them that someone could copy or scan?

I just got a package of KD seals from 1931-78, (except for 73) and they are unmounted. Most of the seals didn't have the date incorporated as part of the design. I plan to have these framed, and want to get them in order if I can.

They are beautiful--and it is fun to see how graphic design styles and tastes have changed over the years. I remember the ones when I was an active, and it makes me wish I had saved one from each of the years since then.

Anyway, thanks in advance! Any help will be appreciated. Also, keep a good thought for Gamma Nu, Miami of Ohio. Formal Recruitment starts on Wednesday with open houses. Recruitment at Miami is highly competitive.
Contact National and let them know what you have. Shirley Gee is the lady who runs the Archives and probably will have a complete list available for you to use.

DaffyKD
Old 01-07-2008, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I would love to see some of those Christmas Seals! I never received mine this year and I am sad. I always keep some of them and now I won't have a complete collection. I think it has to do with the fact that I moved, however. Good luck on your quest for this info, Katmandu!!!
Old 01-08-2008, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Honestly, some of the old ones are so touching. One of them, marked '34 in pencil on the back, is black and white, with a moon in one corner with the greek letters KD, and a silhouette of a child with a crutch sitting on a bench in the opposite corner. Not something that would be designed today for such a piece, but a direct tie with the Richmond Hospital, I imagine.

I can roughly place them in decades---A very patriotic one from WWII, and the one with balloon letters that look exactly like a pair of stovepipe pants I used to wear can ONLY be from the early 70's. A few have the dates as part of the design. A couple are marked in pencil on the back, but the majority are unmarked. All of them are mint and unused. I imagine some sister, carefully saving one from each year from the time she was initiated in 1931, until she died in the 70's. At least that's what I would like to think!

I can't wait to get them in order and get them framed. Anyone have an extra seal from 1973??
Old 01-11-2008, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like a wonderful collection, Kat!