GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Alpha Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,407
2 members and 1,405 guests
No Members online

Old 02-04-2006, 05:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Theta sisters, what's new?

What a sleepy board we have here...

What is everyone up to?

Two things happened recently that made me think of Theta. A couple weeks ago I planted some pansies. They have really small flowers and are looking beautiful despite the cold, cold weather.

Monday they celebrated International Peace Day at the school were I teach and so everyone was making large kites from colored poster board. They were looking pretty nice and I couldn't stop thinking about the kites that I have made for Theta.

Well, I hope everyone is enjoying February-

KATwoman
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-04-2006, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

What's new in my world:

-had wonderful time celebrating Founders Day on Sunday with the San Jose/South Bay, San Mateo, and Palo Alto alumnae chapters and Stanford/Phi deuteron and Santa Clara/Eta Lambda chapters, and Fraternity President Karen Ledbetter.

-had a birthday on Thursday (won't mention the number, other than that it's prime!)

-got a new nephew yesterday

-made over 100 chocolate-dipped candied grapefruit peels for a catering job.

It's been a great week! Hope spring is coming early to your corners of the world.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I sure can't keep up with a new grandchild (congrats, by the way!)

But I did place my 58th Labrador in a loving adoptive home today. :: Sniff :: Crissy was the sweetest Labbie ever!
DFW Labrador Rescue

I had one of those "ugly number" birthdays this week myself
Old 02-05-2006, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Patti,

It's a _nephew_. I am not ready for grandchildren (nor are my 3 and 5 year-olds ready for parenthood, tho' the 3 year-old wants a baby).

Congrats on your 58th rescue dog. Labs are the sweetest!
Jane
Old 02-05-2006, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Let's see... what is new...

1. I'm joining in the fight against the school regarding delayed recuitment for next fall. School starts in late August and they want to have recruitment over fall break the first weekend in November. Now how many freshmen women do you think will stay on campus for Fall Break just to go through recruitment?

2. I'm working with the chapter on planning a COB program that will grab interested women now and keep them interested until the fall. Since the school is delaying recruitment until November, we will be allowed to COB in August to replace graduating seniors, etc. We have three spots now. I anticipate we'll have 20 in the fall. We have about 10 interested women now. I don't want to take 3 of them and dissappoint the others to the point that they won't consider us for fall COB. The plan is to have a meet and greet and then a few informal things during the semester so they'll keep us in mind for the fall. And yes, we will tell them we won't be giving out bids until August!

3. I made the yummiest, cutest valentine sugar cookies this weekend. Wish I could send some to all of you!

4. I'm very much looking forward to our upcoming ELC visit from Bricklin Bernard. Have any of you met her? She's my favorite ELC EVER! She seems to love my chapter and the women seem to love her. She's been to visit a few times before.

Hope you all are doing well!

TLAM!
Old 02-05-2006, 02:07 PM

Well let's see:

This week I start my clinical rotations for nursing in OB, and my station this week will start in mother/baby, and I start my psych nursing rotation as well at a state run psych hospital here in town so .......as bad as it sounds i'm not too crazy about my psych clinical but I LOVE babies so I'm excited about mother/baby.

The alum chapter here had Founder's Day banquet yesterday. I was unable to go due to an issue that recently came up regarding my mother.

My sister is pregnant and had her first prenatal visit on thursday and loves her new OB/GYN. She is due in August!

My lil Theta sister got engaged this week and will be getting married in September

I order my wedding invitations, programs, bookmarks tomorrow. My Flower girls are getting fitted on Wednesday

This week I got excited when I ordered the bridesmaids gifts, attendant gifts, parent gifts, bubbles, and reception favors Now I just have to finalize the music list for the DJ, odds and ends with the florist and caterer, order wedding rings, schedule hair and make up, get the dresses altered when they come in, schedule engagement pictures,buy wedding accessories, make Paul plan the rehearsal dinner........and I think that is it....... Honeymoon is planned for Hawaii-Maui and Oahu- so i grow more excited about that each day

i'll also be thinking about this week what I'm getting my Paul for Valentine's Day because I have no clue I'm still trying to decide what to get him as his wedding present too....
Old 02-06-2006, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Janerz222
Patti,

It's a _nephew_. I am not ready for grandchildren (nor are my 3 and 5 year-olds ready for parenthood, tho' the 3 year-old wants a baby).

Jane
YIKES!!! I wasn't paying attention!
Old 02-06-2006, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow! Everyone is doing such cool stuff! But now I have some questions...

Janerz222- Are you a caterer?

ThetaPrincess24- Have you chosen a wedding dress yet? What does it look like?

I had a pretty good weekend, it was my husband's birthday so we had a party and I made pizza (not used to cooking for a big group so it was interesting...)

KATwoman
Old 02-06-2006, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

My friend and I have started up some casual catering--for friends and friends-of-friends (to see if we want to do it "for real" once our kids are in school). We do desserts mostly.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KATwoman
Wow! Everyone is doing such cool stuff! But now I have some questions...

Janerz222- Are you a caterer?

ThetaPrincess24- Have you chosen a wedding dress yet? What does it look like?

I had a pretty good weekend, it was my husband's birthday so we had a party and I made pizza (not used to cooking for a big group so it was interesting...)

KATwoman
Yes! I have chosen a wedding dress. It is white, made from chiffon, floor length, spaghetti straps with rhinestones in a gold setting, empire wasteline.... well heck let me just type the URL so yall can go and look at it yourself!
http://www.venusbridal.com/cgi-bin/description.asp?dress=9024ft.jpg

I'll also be wearing a pearl jewelery ensemble that is in a gold setting and a tiara in a gold setting. Probably wont wear a veil because I'm not crazy about things that trail off my head.

The following link is for the bridesmaids dresses. The color however is not the one shown. the color of the dresses will be butter.
http://www.foreverbridals.com/gownpix.asp?Style=76102
I wanted my bridesmaids to have a dress they could wear to other things instead of just my wedding and then stick the dress in a closet never to be seen again.

Lets see...today I did invitations and bookmarks and napkins. The napkins and the bookmarks kind of correspond with each other. I got a "Faith, Hope, & Love" design on the napkins with our name and wedding date and then the bookmarks have that same design at the top to match and then my favorite scripture from childhood,1 Corinthians 13 or part of it anyways that goes with it since faith, hope and love come from it. This was also the scripture I chose to have read at my wedding too so it all goes together I think. I HAVE to have stuff match or it freaks me out. Then the bookmarks too are done in black ink with a black tassel. The invitations have a blush ink, do not fold, and have an ivory floral border and the envelopes are lined with ivory to bring it out.
I still have to get the programs ordered though but this particular company is close to me, so I can get them two days after I order a week at most so there's no big hurry with those. I also have to get the toasting flutes, ring pillow, cake cutting set, and a guest book/guest list scroll too.

Other than that, I started my OB clinical today in the Postpartum unit and I loved it! I hope Labor and Delivery next week will be jsut as awesome. HOpefully I'll get to see a birth though it's not guaranteed because as we all know, babies are not born on a schedule! [I have a 5 page assignment for this rotation due every thursday though boo ]
Old 02-06-2006, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Toasting flutes

Just an idea about the toasting flutes...

Instead of buying the ones just for weddings I bought two of the ones that match my crystal pattern. They were the only two champagne flutes I bought but at least if I want to have a romantic dinner for two, they go with all my other stuff and it just feels a little more special.

Love both the dresses!
Old 02-06-2006, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to UCFStefanie
Well lets see...

1) I am planning my wedding. ThetaPrincess and I are getting married on the same day (along with another member from my chapter) ThetaPrincess we only have 96 days to go!!!

I have been busy addressing invitations. They are taking forever but it is nice to be working ahead. Next I will work on my wedding favors. I still need to book my florist and cake bakery.

Here is a link to my dress pics. I love it.
My dress from the front
My dress from the back, except mine has champaign accents instead of purple

I have a bit done DJ, registering, location, officiant, photographer, favors (just need to put them together), invitations, accessories, and some bridal party gifts.

I feel like I have tons to do so Yall might be hearing from me about it!!!

2) Work is keeping me super busy. I work at a college in Georgia doing housing so my students keep me on my toes.

3) I am thinking about starting my doctorate in a year and a half or so. I need to jump on the GRE though. My last score was bad.

4) I have also been keeping busy with a community band that I play in and a Housing organization that I advise.

So pretty much the wedding is encompassing my life.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by UCFStefanie
Well lets see...

1) I am planning my wedding. ThetaPrincess and I are getting married on the same day (along with another member from my chapter) ThetaPrincess we only have 96 days to go!!!

I have been busy addressing invitations. They are taking forever but it is nice to be working ahead. Next I will work on my wedding favors. I still need to book my florist and cake bakery.

Goodluck finding a florist. Due to the 13th being on mother's day weekend I only could find one florist here in town that would even be willing to do it. she wasnt the most expensive but she certainly isnt the cheapest either so my flowers are a little over $2500 bucks. And then she is one who wont even do a wedding for less than 1500 bucks, so keep that in mind and have a back up plan for you and friends or whoever to be making up silk arrangements or whatever of your own.

Registering is fun! We are registered at Dillard's, Bed, Bath, & Beyond, and Target. All of our stuff is online too!
Old 02-07-2006, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Beautiful!

I took a look at all the dresses and ThetaPrincess and UCFStefanie, they are beautiful. I'm a big fan of simple designs with not so much lace and so on and these two dresses are very classic. Good luck with the planning, it must be stressful. I got married twice (to the same man) in the US and then here in Spain and although neither wedding was super big both took quite a bit of work. But it's fun too. For me one of the hardest things to chose was what to do with my hair, I pretty much let the hairdresser do whatever she wanted and luckily it turned out nicely.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

For the brides, just a suggestion...

If Mother's Day is making it tough to find a florist, consider using both silk and fresh flowers in your bouquets. You can have the bouquets partially completed in advance with the VERY best quality silk flowers and then the day or two before the wedding, add fresh ivy, greenery, and some small fresh flowers. That will really make the bouquets look real, but give you the ability to get the majority of the work done in advance.

I wanted iris in my bouquets. They just don't last long or lend themselves to much aranging. I used beautiful silk irises and fresh white trailing flowers (can't remember the name) and fresh ivy for the bouquets.