GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,270
1 members and 1,269 guests
Cookiez17

Old 09-26-2017, 02:10 PM
Banned

Would it be a bad idea to rush before transferring?

Hello, a little unsure on what to do. I didn't rush this fall because I made the last minute decision that I wanted to join Greek life and it was too late for me to register...I will be transferring to the University of Florida next fall and will be a junior. I know Greek life is pretty big there & competitive from what I've heard. I'm worried I'll have almost no chance of getting a bid as a junior. Some of the sororities at my current school have informal recruitment in the spring. I'm wondering if I should try that & when I transfer hope the same sorority at UF will accept me? Or should I skip informal recruitment & try to rush as a junior next year? I really want to be a part of a sorority but worried I've missed my chance.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know anything about UF recruitment (other than you are right about them having a very active Greek Life) so have no clue about your chances of getting a bid as a junior. What I do know, though, is that it would be pretty selfish to take a spot from another girl by pledging at your current school fully knowing that you would be leaving after a semester. That just doesn't pass the sniff test. Whether it all worked out the way you wanted it to or not, you'd be leaving plenty of hurt feelings in your wake.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari115 View Post
Hello, a little unsure on what to do. I didn't rush this fall because I made the last minute decision that I wanted to join Greek life and it was too late for me to register...I will be transferring to the University of Florida next fall and will be a junior. I know Greek life is pretty big there & competitive from what I've heard. I'm worried I'll have almost no chance of getting a bid as a junior. Some of the sororities at my current school have informal recruitment in the spring. I'm wondering if I should try that & when I transfer hope the same sorority at UF will accept me? Or should I skip informal recruitment & try to rush as a junior next year? I really want to be a part of a sorority but worried I've missed my chance.
This is all up to you but some info:

1. I can tell you that it will be an uphill battle doing formal recruitment at a school like UF as a junior transfer, but it is not necessarily impossible. You just have to know that not every chapter is going to be interested in you and be okay with that.

2. Every sorority has its own process for affiliation of transfers. Not every sorority automatically accepts transfer sisters. Would you feel better or worse if you were in a sorority, actively on a campus, but not accepted to affiliate?

Again, every sorority is different so I cannot speak in absolutes. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

UF has an upperclassman quota, which makes it easier for non-freshmen to obtain a bid.

Although an anecdote, and not necessarily representative of how your recruitment may go, my roommate, was successful in receiving a bid to a reputable chapter, despite getting cut from some of her top choices. However she stuck it out and is excited to get her big sister this week!
Old 09-26-2017, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

I would advise you to wait, prepare by gathering recommendations to EACH sorority there, and network with any friends you may have at UF. You will need a good GPA. You need a good resume, so if you have not already done so, join an org on your present campus, and get some volunteer hours in. Once you're in college you can't rely on your HS resume.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 09-29-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari115 View Post
Having read all the responses to your OP I am recommending you be very sure you will be transferring next Fall. As you mention, you do not wish to miss out on your chance for greek life if at all possible.

You will be more fully cognizant of your transfer mode (go or no-go) by the time Informal Recruitment occurs in January 2018 on your current campus. Take your chances for a greek sisterhood at whichever school you deem appropriate. Just remember to involve all the other advice given you on this site.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:05 AM

It sounds like your transfer is pretty set to go, so don't rush at your current school. Even if UF has the chapter you end up in and even if you affiliate with the chapter with no problem, it could turn out that the UF chapter is nothing like the chapter you pledged and you are uncomfortable and miserable.

Also, if you are coming from an appreciably smaller school, be apprised of the $$$ difference. Again, even if you would affiliate with no problem, your dues and housing fees at UF might be a lot higher than they are at your current school, and it would suck to have to quit for monetary reasons.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Alpha Phi is colonizing at UF next year. That might be worth looking into.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Is there anywhere Alpha Phi ISN'T colonizing, hah? I have so much respect for that sorority, they have been killing it with all their expansions, all of which seem to be going really, really well. I'm biased (wife is an Alpha Phi) but they are doing a tremendous job with expansions.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

You are biased DTDAlum, but rightly so. Alpha Phi is doing great!