GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,592
0 members and 2,592 guests
No Members online

Old 01-06-2002, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down XYZ fraternity / sorority

Alright everyone, here I go...... Why does everyone refer to a specific org. as XYZ, rather than just saying which greek it is? I know that it is one of those "Don't want to name names" sort of things, but c'mon, what fun is that?

For instance: I belong to the XYZ fraternity and dated a sorority girl from the ABC house, and her best friend was a DEF who had a twin that lived in the GHI house, and it just so has it that their mom was a JKL and her dad was an MNO, but her brother, who was a MNO legacy, decided not to go MNO and ended up going PQR. Whewww!

Get my drift? Maybe its just me, but it kind of bugs me.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-06-2002, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Thumbs up courtesy

I use the following "guidelines" to post in reference to other GLOs (and think that most of GC does something similar):
  • If the story/event is a positive one, I'll name the organization by name, and the chapter if appropriate
  • If the story/event is negative (hazing, situations invovling unpleasant individuals, etc) I will use "ABC" or "XYZ" to protect the innocent. We all know greeks get enough bad press. And just because XYZ chapter at USC hazes, does not mean that another chapter of XYZ at Auburn hazes. So I try to avoid that association.
  • If it is a hypothetical situation, I will use "ABC" for obvious reasons

Hope that helps. I personally do think it's appropriate to speak in general terms about GLOs in a number of posts, for reasons above or similar ones.

To Be Rather Than To Seem To Be
Old 01-06-2002, 05:38 PM

As SilverTurtle has stated, I don't like to use the names of the fraternity/sorority involved if the story is negative. But, if it is a positive story than I will use the name. You never know who is reading these posts and I'd rather not offend someone.
Old 01-06-2002, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your replies ladies. I understand what you are saying, and I really feel the same way. But I truely believe that if an org. does something good, their name should be tagged to it, and if they do something bad, their name should be tagged to it as well. There is nothing like trying to 'hush hush' a problem, and keep people from finding out who really did it. I think that most of us in here know that one bad chapter does not mean the whole organization is bad, so I think we all should start using real names.

Oh well, my 1/50 of a dollar.
Old 01-06-2002, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I see that point too. But I still think, that if there is a whole bunch of 'hoowaahh' going on here about a specific fraternity/sorority, their names should be included. Especially in rush...if a girl goes through rush and has a great time with AOPi and loves them, but hated ZTA, thats perfectly fine. Its her opinion, and should be able to say it....but that doesn't mean that ZTA sucks, its just what that individual person thought. I am sure there are plenty of people, in my little hypothetical example here, who think AOPi sucks and ZTA rules too.

I really believe that names should be included when it deals with facts too. For example, when Beta Theta Pi and Delta Sigma Phi were in trouble at Auburn, it would have made absolutely no point trying to start a thread with XYZ and ABC fraternity.... Know what I mean?
Old 01-06-2002, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

You never know who is reading these forums. A PNM could be posting her rush experience at the same time that sisters are reading it--and it can be pretty easy to identify the PNM. If she writes certain things, she could be cut all because of what she posted on GC. As a matter of fact, I think it happened to at least one girl last fall.
Old 01-06-2002, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
To be honest, we should tell it how it is. Why skate around a subject just to leave a name or letters out of it? That, to me is petty, and I don't like to or try to cover up the dirty.

If it is just talking about xyz in general, hey, if I have a friend in a certain org, I will name it, why not? There's no harm in it.

d
Old 01-06-2002, 09:43 PM

Wink

If it's positive I'll post a name. If it's negative I won't...because I don't want to have to answer the horde of PM's and replies I will receive saying "my sorority would never do thaaaat!!" (Please see the "KD on your campus" thread for a basic example.) As far as rush posts, it really is to cover the rushee's butt. We had a whole thread on "after the fact" rush stories and many people weren't afraid to name names.

I know what you guys mean, sometimes I want to know the "juicy details" but if you poke around a little, sometimes you can find them out anyway.