GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,339
0 members and 2,339 guests
No Members online

Old 05-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Banned

Maybe it was nervous laughter. That is so rude.

At the same time, isn't cash supposedly a lazy or inappropriate gift? I'd rather have cash, but a lot of people see that as insulting.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-28-2009, 06:06 PM

So, what with the popularity of penis cakes, penis pasta, penis straws, etc. for bachelorette parties, and with gay marriage now legal in several states... what if the happy couple are both women? A penis theme seems inappropriate in that case. Hmm... a bachelorette party for both women? Pussy cake?
Old 05-28-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownxo View Post
4) We wound up giving them a check and a copy of Emily Post. My husband's Aunt (the Groom's Mom) thought the book was a good idea.
For the win.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WinniBug
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post

At the same time, isn't cash supposedly a lazy or inappropriate gift? I'd rather have cash, but a lot of people see that as insulting.
i'd sometimes prefer cash to a gift card
you can use cash anywhere, not just at a specific store
wherever there is fun, there's ALWAYS ALPHA SIGMA!

Old 05-28-2009, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WinniBug
Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
So, what with the popularity of penis cakes, penis pasta, penis straws, etc. for bachelorette parties, and with gay marriage now legal in several states... what if the happy couple are both women? A penis theme seems inappropriate in that case. Hmm... a bachelorette party for both women? Pussy cake?
or boobies

wherever there is fun, there's ALWAYS ALPHA SIGMA!

Old 05-28-2009, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

It wasn't. She also sent a thank you note that said "Thank you for the cash. Ha Ha."

I wouldn't count cash as a lazy gift when the person who gave it to you is working two jobs to make ends meet and still took the weekend off work in order to drive a couple of hours each way to your bridal shower/bachelorette party.

ETA: That cake... I mean I suppose no boobie cake is going to be classy but the tattoo and showing nipples add an extra level of class. At least it's realistic in the sense that the books aren't symmetrical.

Last edited by agzg; 05-28-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:10 PM

Mmmm, boobie cake...

If I were a woman marrying another woman, I'd want a cake shaped like a cat. I'm a cat person, and it would be interesting to see how many people understood the double entendre.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinniBug View Post
I will say though that the appropriateness of giving cash as a wedding gift varies by region.

Example: Cash is a pretty big "no-no" around here, but I attended a wedding in another state where I was the only one who DIDN'T bring cash in an envelope.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-29-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Even if someone gave me oh, monogrammed Snuggies, a leg lamp ala Christmas Story, or something else tacky or groan worthy, I would never be rude about it***. Why are people so miserable and ungrateful over a GIFT, especially of cash. I think that is just deplorable, no manners, no class, and just greedy and tacky. Some people don't have a lot to give, and a well intentioned though inappropriate gift from the heart is better than no gift. I feel the need to delve into my anthropology background and do some research on registries and gift giving, because I think it is a more recent phenomena with the dowry disappearing.

OOOOHHHH studying registries as a cultural system, there's my dissertation!

***I'd post about it on GC, unless the gift giver posted here
Old 05-29-2009, 12:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinniBug View Post
I'd also prefer cash.

However, I think I prefer a gift from my registry for a babyshower or actual wedding gift. We may not have the time to buy our own gifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
It wasn't. She also sent a thank you note that said "Thank you for the cash. Ha Ha."

I wouldn't count cash as a lazy gift when the person who gave it to you is working two jobs to make ends meet and still took the weekend off work in order to drive a couple of hours each way to your bridal shower/bachelorette party.
I agree. Some people are ungrateful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I will say though that the appropriateness of giving cash as a wedding gift varies by region.

Example: Cash is a pretty big "no-no" around here, but I attended a wedding in another state where I was the only one who DIDN'T bring cash in an envelope.
Aren't there also cultures where they do things like cash trees?
Old 05-29-2009, 05:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I went to a shower a couple weekends ago and when I got to the store with the registry, she'd gotten everything on it, except some sheets which had been discontinued, so I got her a gift card from that store. In my family, cash/check is the expectation for the wedding.. gifts are for the shower. That's just how it is.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

You now have me thinking that the next time I go to a wedding in a different state, I'll have to check on GC to see if giving a check/cash is appropriate. I was under the impression that that was the norm.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't know about that - we had a bunch of people give us cash at our wedding, and we didn't see it that way. We took it more as people wanting to give us a start to a "nest egg."
Old 05-29-2009, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsunshine214 View Post
To be honest I have a rule when it comes to registries: if I can't find it or it's not in my price range, I buy something else! Ooo! What a concept! I don't just sit there and think, "I really want to get them this even if the couple didn't ask for it." Honestly, what's the logic in that?!
In this case, THE REGISTRY IS DONE FOR, with the exception of some things in the $400 range. I love my friends enough to buy them that Le Creuset thing, but I would be much happier spending a quarter of that on another present, or even a Williams-Sonoma gift card. I haven't dealt much with registries as an adult, but this is the first time that virtually was bought out before the wedding. What does one do then that isn't "logical," hmmm?

As far as cash goes, I've been to weddings all over the Southeast, California, and the Northeast (and now Texas!), and no one has ever turned down a gift of cold hard cash.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedyAnn View Post
You now have me thinking that the next time I go to a wedding in a different state, I'll have to check on GC to see if giving a check/cash is appropriate. I was under the impression that that was the norm.
We've had a discussion about this before, which can be found here. (Yes, I was the one who found it strange then, too.) It seems to safe to say that it's a custom that varies by region. It's the norm some places and unheard of in others.

I think it's safe to say that it's still considered inappropriate here (except perhaps among those who've moved here from . . . "not from around here." ) I also think it's safe to say that a money tree would be considered downright tacky in these parts -- the couple and the bride's family would be talked about.