GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,296
4 members and 2,292 guests
Cookiez17, FSUZeta, PKT4LIFE, Xidelt

Old 06-29-2006, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Work Clothing Suggestions - Ladies

I need some ideas of what stores to shop at and what brands to buy in regards to work clothing.

I work at a bank but am in the IT department so I need to wear business attire, but usually also pants as I carry computers around. I'm also 22 and would like to look adult, but not wear clothes too old for me.

The challenges involved here:

1. I'm average-sized, but have a large chest so many shirts are either too revealing or end up being to short, even with high-waisted pants.

2. I'm rather broke. I'm willing to splurge on a good pair of pants, but then I need cheap tops.

3. The variety in Decatur, IL is not large. I am however willing to travel to shop- St. Louis, Chicago, Indy. But east/west coast stores are not in the cards.

4. I'm not good at this whole fashion thing. I do better with seperates that I can mix and match.

Someone help me!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-29-2006, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I would look for classics at stores like Ann Taylor, AT Loft, or sometimes Express has good professional stuff. Ann Taylor tends to have lots of nice sweaters and shirts that can look professional and not draw too much attention to your chest.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Online shopping is your friend. Seriously. I live near a million stores, but I hate going to them.

If khaki-type pants aren't considered too casual for your bank, I'd suggest that. Jcrew has decent pants and I swear GeekyPenguin totally made fun of me for shopping at a teenager store, but I got some cheap as hell pants from Alloy and they fit me VERY well (so if you're like me and have no hips/ass, it might be worth it) and I don't know, but I think they're really cute, too.

I probably dress more casually than you do for work, but I'm a big fan of wearing tanks (the ones from Old Navy are fine, and at like $7 I kind of consider them disposable and/or great for working out, too) under cardigans. I like tanks better than the little sweaters that match cardigans because they tend to be longer, which eliminates the boob/short shirt problem.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the tips so far. I have a sweater from ATLoft and it's fantastic!

I wish I had any of those stores (except OldNavy we have that) nearby.

I'm a little gun-shy about shopping for clothes online. I have that, no two pants fit me alike thing. (No real hips) And besides the boobs, I have broad shoulders. I guess I'm concerned it won't fit me right.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I know AT is having free shipping until the 4th of July on their website now. They do in-store returns. You could always order some things offline and return what doesn't fit you. My mom hates shopping in stores and loves AT so she always ends up doing that.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

J.C.Penney has some nice business attire and separates that are trendy and affordable so you don't have to break the bank! Also Dress Barn caters to plus sized women.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
I fine New York & Comany has really good work clothes. The pants fit me well (I have a small waist and <compairitivly> bigger thighs) - and don't make me look like I have wings sticking out on the side of my legs. Plus, most pants are avaliable in like 5 colors...haha, so I buy one of each...the tops are nice too. They have button ups in lots of colors and some nice t-shirt type shirts in solid colors...in winter they have great turtle necks. I'd check there if there is one around...

I *love* Anne Taylor, but it's soooo expensive. I just can't bear paying $50 for a sweater or a top. Plus as a teacher, clothes often get marked on, etc...so I don't want anything that would make me cry if I ruined it!
Old 06-29-2006, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Ann Taylor definitely tends to have steep prices, but they have great quality. I only buy from there when stuff is on sale. (Or if mummy pays .)
Old 06-29-2006, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille
I'm a little gun-shy about shopping for clothes online. I have that, no two pants fit me alike thing. (No real hips) And besides the boobs, I have broad shoulders. I guess I'm concerned it won't fit me right.
A lot of websites have sizing charts. It's still not the same as trying something on, because you can't really tell if the pants or shirt is a suitable cut for your figure but at least you can get an idea of if their sizes run big or small.

PSimissU
Old 06-29-2006, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille
Hm, it sounds like you're shaped like I am. For pants, avoid Ann Taylor -- maybe try Victoria's Secret, American Eagle, Urban Outfitters, or Old Navy (although I think their non-jean pants aren't the greatest), in addition to Jcrew/Alloy/anywhere else designed for "younger" people, because stuff tends to be less, um, hip-py. Low rise or even ultra low rise is your friend, not to mention it's just more flattering than higher-waisted pants. You should be fine with tops from any of those stores. As long as you stay away from more high-end designer stuff, the boobs/shoulders shouldn't be much of an issue.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I like the lower waisted, but I then get stuck with the "don't raise your arms" issue with shirts! I need a professional dresser!
Old 06-29-2006, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I second the NY&Co. suggestion if you have one nearby. When I got my current job, I needed a lot of staples since my prior job was a jeans and t-shirts kind of place. I got a ton of pants, shirts, skirts, dresses, sweaters, etc. without breaking the bank and without looking like I'm wearing the same thing every day. The pants fit me well, which is unusual since I have a 36 inch inseam. Their long pants sometimes come longer than they're supposed to, which I love

As much as I hate shopping in JC Penney, they do have some decent pants, too. You can order from their catalogue, too. Those are the only 2 relatively inexpensive places I can think of off the top of my head. I enjoy Ann Taylor, but the prices are a little out of my league. I prefer NY&Co. where I get discounts all the time from their postcards and with the account I opened with them.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylochick216
I second the NY&Co. suggestion if you have one nearby. When I got my current job, I needed a lot of staples since my prior job was a jeans and t-shirts kind of place. I got a ton of pants, shirts, skirts, dresses, sweaters, etc. without breaking the bank and without looking like I'm wearing the same thing every day. The pants fit me well, which is unusual since I have a 36 inch inseam. Their long pants sometimes come longer than they're supposed to, which I love

As much as I hate shopping in JC Penney, they do have some decent pants, too. You can order from their catalogue, too. Those are the only 2 relatively inexpensive places I can think of off the top of my head. I enjoy Ann Taylor, but the prices are a little out of my league. I prefer NY&Co. where I get discounts all the time from their postcards and with the account I opened with them.
Don't know where the nearest one is, but I have friends in St. Louis, Springfield, Peoria, etc... I'll find one Thanks!
Old 06-29-2006, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I checked the NY & Co. website, and they don't have any stores in Illinois.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I thrid the NY & Company - affordable, work-appropriate clothing. I feel your pain in the shirt department. I finally realized that I should buy button-ups in the size that fits my boobs and take them to a tailor to bring the waist in to be fitted. If we can bitch to the shorties to go to the tailor, I guess the juggs girls need to go, too!

I also think Target has some great, affordble stuff. Especially in the tops arena - lots of twin sets and nice "dressy" t-shirts.

Valkyrie - I love the idea about a tank under a cardigan! I never thought of that and I'm always hiking the undershirt part up so the creepy guys at work aren't looking down my top as they stand over me!