GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,095
2 members and 1,093 guests
LaneSig

Old 06-27-2002, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

sororities at miami u of ohio

hi! i'm new here on greek chat and i need some help. i want to rush this spring at miami university (in ohio, not florida) and i visited the greek life website at my school's web page, but it doesn't give me adequate information on the sororities other than just the basics like the name, number of members and what not. i don't even get to see houses or read history or anything! my cousin, who is in a sorority has pretty much told me the general things about rush and being in a sorority and i'm really excited to join, so i was wondering if anyone here that goes to miami u or has graduated from miami u could give me some info about the sororities on campus? stuff like which houses are considered the strongest or the sweetest or most involved in activities; anything like that would be really helpful.

thanks a lot, i appreciate it!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-27-2002, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

A lot of my friends go to Miami and it was my second choice so I know a lot about the school. My best friend is a Kappa Delta there and I know a few Pi Phis there also. I would recommend just getting to know girls from each house the first semester. It's a better way of finding out where you fit in rather than where you think you should be! Houses can change from just two really strong or really weak pledge classes so I wouldn't worry about the reputation of the house unless you don't feel comfortable with the girls in the house! I'm sure there are girls on this board who are from Miami U and could help you out if you still want specifics and please be sure to come back and post your rush experiences so we can offer support!

Jess
Old 06-27-2002, 03:35 AM

I don't know much about sorority life at Miami University of Ohio other than the fact that my sorority, Delta Zeta, was founded there in 1902 and our Alpha Chapter is still going strong 100 years later

Check out www.deltazeta.org for DZ information and good luck with rushing!
Old 06-27-2002, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck at MU, it should be fun for you....the greek life is quite large at that school. Miami Univ. has been said to be the mother of the Greek System because it founded 5 Greek Organizations: Beta Theta Pi - 1839, Phi Delta Theta - 1848, Sigma Chi - 1855 (these 3 make up the "Miami Triad" - the first 3 Greek Orgs. to be founded there)....then there was Delta Zeta - 1902, and Phi Kappa Tau - 1906.

I am pretty sure that the Alpha Xi Delta chapter at Miami U., is one of their strongest chapters in the nation.

Good luck.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
I don't know much about sorority life at Miami University of Ohio other than the fact that my sorority, Delta Zeta, was founded there in 1902 and our Alpha Chapter is still going strong 100 years later

Check out www.deltazeta.org for DZ information and good luck with rushing!
That's right -- our Alpha chapter is an outstanding one! I'm going to our National Convention in Oxford this year, and I can't wait to see the campus where Delta Zeta was founded 100 years ago!
Old 06-27-2002, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

If you want to know things like history, what they stand for, etc., I'd suggest going to their national websites. Every NPC sorority has one and it's generally www.theirwholename.org (although Tri-Delt is www.tridelta.org).

That won't tell you what the local girls are actually like, but it will give you some idea of where they come from (and it'll give you a leg up on remembering chapter names come rush!). If you can visit campus, I'd suggest doing so, too. Even though school is out you can at least drive around and check out the campus and Greek houses and whatnot.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FuzzieAlum
That won't tell you what the local girls are actually like, but it will give you some idea of where they come from (and it'll give you a leg up on remembering chapter names come rush!). If you can visit campus, I'd suggest doing so, too. Even though school is out you can at least drive around and check out the campus and Greek houses and whatnot.
FYI: The sororities don't have houses at Miami because supposedly an alum donated a huge sum of money on the condition that the sororities don't have houses. I'm not sure if that's a true story but that's what my KD friend told me! The sororities have suites which are quite similar to houses and you can get to know girls from other chapters because there may be five chapters in one building!

Jess
Old 06-27-2002, 02:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
I met a bunch of my sister's (Alpha Xi Delta's) from Miami U and they were awesome. If you want to get a little history on AZD as a whole, go to www.alphaxidelta.org

we hope to hear your rush story!
Old 06-27-2002, 04:36 PM

There's no such thing as a Redhawk.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 06-27-2002, 04:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
what is a redhawk?
Old 06-27-2002, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Gamma Delta

Alpha Gamma Delta also has a wonderful group of women at Miami of Ohio. You can find out more about our organization at:
www.alphagammadelta.org

Good luck!
Old 06-27-2002, 05:17 PM

Maggieaxid wrote:

"what is a redhawk?"

Exactly the point! It is the mascot of Miami of Ohio.

There is a Red Tailed Hawk. But no Redhawk.

(The used to be the Miami Redskins)

There are, however, Bobcats.

Go Ohio!

(you're right, this has absolutely no place on this thread, but I just can't help myself! I'm sorry.)
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 06-27-2002, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

It wasn't until after I finished reading this post that I realized it was written by DeltAlum and NOT Tom Earp.

You guys are starting to write the same way!

One sentence per line and exclamation points!

Very distinctive style. Sometimes short phrases.

Just giving you guys a hard time, though...I enjoy both DA's and Tom's posts!

Last edited by RedRoseSAI; 06-27-2002 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:10 PM

That's because I'm copying him. I'm jealous because he's everybody's secret GC crush! And he's the President!

What is it they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

To get 'em, Tom.

But there's still no such thing as a Redhawk.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:41 PM

Thumbs up Re: sororities at miami u of ohio

Yes, the school website has zip information!

Oh well...just wanted to tell you that Delta Gamma's Alpha Omicron Chapter is there!