GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,222
2 members and 1,220 guests
JayhawkAOII, Sen's Revenge

Old 07-10-2015, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I started The Girl on the Train the other day. I'm not far enough into it to have any real opinion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
Even though it's been out a while, I'm just now reading Divergent. I saw the movie and liked it so I thought why not? It does seem a little bit like a Hunger Games knock off, but eh, whatever.
I thought Divergent was much more angsty than Hunger Games. The first two books were okay, but the third book was a complete let down in multiple ways. Maybe you'll have a different experience.
Loyal, forever, Alpha to thee
Old 07-10-2015, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Read "The Girl on the Train." Liked it, but it had so much hype and anything with that much hype can never deliver (not a fault of the author's). When I originally put the book on hold at the library I was 500-something in line. O.o Seen the two Divergent movies and need to read the books. A friend's DD was an extra for the second movie.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
Read "The Girl on the Train." Liked it, but it had so much hype and anything with that much hype can never deliver (not a fault of the author's). When I originally put the book on hold at the library I was 500-something in line. O.o
Wow, that's a huge line! I agree with you about things not living up to the hype many times. Sometimes it happens, usually it doesn't. So I definitely tend to take hype with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
Seen the two Divergent movies and need to read the books. A friend's DD was an extra for the second movie.
It's so cool that your friend's DD was an extra for Insurgent!
Old 07-10-2015, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.bichminhnguyen.com/pioneer-girl/

I love it! It combines the Vietnamese immigrant experience with Little House on the Prairie/Laura Ingalls Wilder!
Old 07-11-2015, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

I just finished the Holly Madison book. As I suspected, it was a quick read, but I did enjoy it. She is more perceptive that she always came across on television.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
I just finished the Holly Madison book. As I suspected, it was a quick read, but I did enjoy it. She is more perceptive that she always came across on television.
Oooh I heard about that. Might pick it up as well.

Currently reading the newest Steve Berry novel. Very Dan Brown -like, but great summer reading.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Naked by David Sedaris, and Small Gods by Terry Pratchett
Old 07-11-2015, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I want to read the Holly Madison book too, but not sure if I want to buy it and the library doesn't have it. I usually only buy books if it's something I think I'll want to read more than once. Also tempted by Bobbie Brown's "Dirty Rocker Boys." She's the chick in the "Cherry Pie" video.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha O View Post
I thought Divergent was much more angsty than Hunger Games. The first two books were okay, but the third book was a complete let down in multiple ways. Maybe you'll have a different experience.
Well, I wasn't all the impressed with Mockingjay. I liked the series overall, but Catching Fire was probably my favorite of the series.

Truth be told, two of my favorite YA series are The Mortal Instruments and Beautiful Creatures.

So, I like Divergent and Hunger Games, but they pale in comparison to the other two.

I have a whole wishlist on google books, but I'm working on it
Old 07-11-2015, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
Well, I wasn't all the impressed with Mockingjay. I liked the series overall, but Catching Fire was probably my favorite of the series.

Truth be told, two of my favorite YA series are The Mortal Instruments and Beautiful Creatures.

So, I like Divergent and Hunger Games, but they pale in comparison to the other two.

I have a whole wishlist on google books, but I'm working on it
That reminded me that I wasn't impressed with Mockingjay either. Catching Fire was also my favorite of the series.

I've been told by a friend that Beautiful Creatures was very enjoyable. I'll add The Mortal Instruments to my list.

The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss is supposed to be really good fantasy series from what I've been told. I have it on my list, but I haven't gotten to it yet. I'll probably start it after the third book comes out so that I don't have to wait between finishing one book and starting the next.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip86 View Post

Currently reading the newest Steve Berry novel. Very Dan Brown -like, but great summer reading.
I've read all his books...sometimes he's a bit of a stretch with his imagination vs "real history," but I enjoy his writing and characters.

I just read Day Shift, the second book in Charlaine Harris's Midnight, Texas series. It was really good...better than the first one. They're fun, because they feature minor characters from her previous series (Sookie Stackhouse, etc.)...so everything is tied together.

Right now I'm reading John Grisham's Gray Mountain, about fictional lawyers fighting Big Coal in Appalachia. Also very good.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Currently reading The English Spy by Daniel Silva. It is the latest in his Gabriel Allon series. I love his spy novels and they keep me on the edge of my seat.

I also download books to my phone so I can listen while I'm taking my daily walk. I am not a fan of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series but have found her O'Hare and Fox series. I love them and can't wait for the 4th one to be released in September. If you watched White Collar and enjoyed it, you will love these books.

DaffyKD
Old 07-12-2015, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha O View Post
That reminded me that I wasn't impressed with Mockingjay either. Catching Fire was also my favorite of the series.

I've been told by a friend that Beautiful Creatures was very enjoyable. I'll add The Mortal Instruments to my list.
DO IT! They were both really great. The movies totally flopped at the box office (which is a shame cause I actually kinda liked them) but there's so much more to the stories. And ABC Family is making TMI into a tv show à la Pretty Little Liars.

Before Divergent, I read Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge, it had been on sale on google for like $1.99 so I figured why not. A bit slow to start but I liked it by the end.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyKD View Post
Currently reading The English Spy by Daniel Silva. It is the latest in his Gabriel Allon series. I love his spy novels and they keep me on the edge of my seat. DaffyKD
I've only read the last two...now I feel like I have to go back and catch up on all the back story on these characters.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm reading the Game of Thrones series. I just started book three today!