GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,360
1 members and 1,359 guests
LaneSig

Old 07-03-2012, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darryls...to/7494000642/

Not a drop of rain out of this storm, but some gorgeous heat lightning
Old 07-04-2012, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Finally got the power and cable back on tonight after beeeeg storm rolled through DC area Friday night. Lots of downed power lines and damaged substations. Man, 95 degrees and humidity and no AC sucks. Daughter said that Columbus was clobbered too. But yeah, there have been far worse storms this year, so I'm not whining...too much.

Last edited by southbymidwest; 07-04-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I was woken up by some charming person setting off fireworks and I checked the outside thermometer; it read 38.7 degrees. I'm hoping the cold temperatures and rain will prevent any fires from getting out of control, but we get some crazy wind that could turn a fire into something out of control, quickly.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
38.7 degrees

Old 07-04-2012, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

We were without power for over 30 hours due to Friday nights storm, then we had baseball sized hail on Sunday night. Crazy! I know people who live by me who still don't have power.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Detroit area here.

It went from gorgeous, sunny, and 100 degrees to hail storm from hell. We got golf ball sized hail and tree branches were raining from the sky.

It only lasted about an hour, but it was definitely kind of scary. We also received a flash flood warning (second day in a row) until 9pm. Hopefully everything is okay now.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshsx1 View Post
Detroit area here.

It went from gorgeous, sunny, and 100 degrees to hail storm from hell. We got golf ball sized hail and tree branches were raining from the sky.

It only lasted about an hour, but it was definitely kind of scary. We also received a flash flood warning (second day in a row) until 9pm. Hopefully everything is okay now.
Barely got anything in Southgate. There was wicked lightening and thunder but I think it was from the Downtown storm. I was driving and it rained pretty hard in Riverview but that's it.

Now this morning is a different story. Woke up at 4 and noticed the sky was unusually red. Then at 5am it was windy as hell. Then Mother Nature released the Kraken and all hell broke loose. I thought the hail was going to bust our skylights. I was a little scared.

KLTC
Old 07-05-2012, 06:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Again, no hail here, just thunder loud enough to shake the house, which was kind of cool to wake up to.

However, they just announced on the news that I-275 at Ford Rd has buckled due to the heat. I don't recall that happening ever before in this area. That's so freaky.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbymidwest View Post
Finally got the power and cable back on tonight after beeeeg storm rolled through DC area Friday night. Lots of downed power lines and damaged substations. Man, 95 degrees and humidity and no AC sucks. Daughter said that Columbus was clobbered too. But yeah, there have been far worse storms this year, so I'm not whining...too much.
My parents are in Columbus and they just got their power back on last night (had been out since Friday). They weren't expected to have it back on until the 7th, so the power company was a bit ahead of schedule I guess.

My siblings and I ended up putting them in a hotel on Saturday- no reason two people in their 70s should be in a house without power in 100 degree heat for five days...

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 07-05-2012, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
My parents are in Columbus and they just got their power back on last night (had been out since Friday). They weren't expected to have it back on until the 7th, so the power company was a bit ahead of schedule I guess.

My siblings and I ended up putting them in a hotel on Saturday- no reason two people in their 70s should be in a house without power in 100 degree heat for five days...
SE Part of Ohio here...some friends of ours still do not have power and AEP is quoting Sunday or even as late as Tuesday of next well. Thankfully is has been raining here all morning and that has kept the temps down.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I go to school in Springfield (southwest Ohio) and a lot of my friends/sisters live there year round. I know several of them are still without power. Hope things get straightened out soon!
Old 07-05-2012, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I was woken up by some charming person setting off fireworks and I checked the outside thermometer; it read 38.7 degrees. I'm hoping the cold temperatures and rain will prevent any fires from getting out of control, but we get some crazy wind that could turn a fire into something out of control, quickly.
For some of us it's 38.7 degrees CELSIUS.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
For some of us it's 38.7 degrees CELSIUS.
FTW. Backyard thermometer read 104 degrees F yesterday.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
After being a bridesmaid yesterday in 110 degree heat, I'd say the heat wave we are having is severe weather! I don't know how we made it but we did. Can't wait for a break and 80 degree weather. Never thought I'd ever say that.

KLTC
Old 07-07-2012, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

It was the humidity that was the real kicker yesterday/last night. I went grocery shopping and my diet pepsi bottles had condensation on them just walking from the air conditioned store to the car. They had not been refrigerated! They were just from the shelf. It is already 88 degrees right now, at 9:46 am. Tomorrow though.. high of 80's. All next week too. It's going to feel great. But to get there, we're going to have some storms again.