GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,435
0 members and 1,435 guests
No Members online

Old 06-20-2003, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by erniegurl00
Ah Tri Kappa. I was getting ready to mention that one! I only know about Tri Kappa because it's really big in my home town. I thought it was only an Indiana organization, but I am probably wrong. Anyway, it's a education society. I think every teacher I had in high school and middle school was in it! As a side note, has anyone seen their badge? It's scary! It's a skull with crossbones underneath it. Odd for something women mainly would wear.... (Sorry, I'm done rambling now! )
Tri-Kappa?!

as in K K K?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-20-2003, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LuaBlanca
Tri-Kappa?!
as in K K K?
No, Tri Kappa actually is a legitimate GLO.
http://www.trikappa.org/

I don't think anyone would actually wear a sweatshirt with "KKK" written across the front though, because obviously that would stir up a hornet's nest as people would think it meant Ku Klux Klan.

I think that's why they tend to downplay the name "Kappa Kappa Kappa" and refer to themselves as "Tri Kappa".
Old 06-20-2003, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie2000
No, Tri Kappa actually is a legitimate GLO.
http://www.trikappa.org/

I don't think anyone would actually wear a sweatshirt with "KKK" written across the front though, because obviously that would stir up a hornet's nest as people would think it meant Ku Klux Klan.

I think that's why they tend to downplay the name "Kappa Kappa Kappa" and refer to themselves as "Tri Kappa".
Yea I read about this group somewhere, from what I remember it was a literary society at Dartmouth.... But I dunno....
Old 06-20-2003, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GPhiSweetiePie
Some definitely do seem to be overused...it can get a little confusing for some people, especially since at my school, among others, we have:
Kappa Sigma
Sigma Kappa
Phi Sigma Kappa
Phi Kappa Sigma

lol what's up with that?
And the other permutation:

Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Delta Phi
Alpha Epsilon Pi
Alpha Epsilon Phi

Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Delta Gamma

phew!!
Old 06-20-2003, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Some definitely do seem to be overused...it can get a little confusing for some people, especially since at my school, among others, we have:
Kappa Sigma
Sigma Kappa
Phi Sigma Kappa
Phi Kappa Sigma

lol what's up with that?
Quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie2000
And the other permutation:

Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Delta Phi
Alpha Epsilon Pi
Alpha Epsilon Phi

phew!!
Tell me about it. My school has all the orgs mentioned above except ADPi. There were other permutations too... we got confused with Alpha Phi, Theta Chi and Theta Xi got mixed up...

We also had a lot of confused PNMs. For instance, PNMs would learn that the only sorority with a house was Alpha Phi, then they'd see the Kappa Sigma house and think they'd been misinformed... and wonder why there were so many guys at a sorority house, lol! (Sigma Kappa has since gotten a house.)

When we were first colonized, I had more than one person come up to me and ask me when AEPi had gone coed. No, people, this is an engineering school, you should be able to tell the difference between pi and phi.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LuaBlanca
Tri-Kappa?!

as in K K K?
If you think is bad, I have a good story for you.

At the University of Wisconsin, there used to be a honor society called the Ku Klux Klan. It had nothing to do with the national KKK and as far as anybody can tell, the society had nothing to do with racial issues whatsoever. (The society was formed in 1919, when the national KKK had very little influence and wasn't nationally known . . . so the UW group hadn't known about the national KKK.) The most influential members of the junior class were asked to join.

The national Ku Klux Klan started gaining numbers around that time and by 1925 the UW honor society changed its name because they didn't want people to think they were affiliated with the national secret society.

Still, an all-around weird situation.

More information can be found at the bottom of this page if you're curious:

http://www.uwalumni.com/askabe/traditions.html
Old 06-23-2003, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Yea with us it's the same few letters that are used:
Alpha SIGMA Tau
KAPPA KAPPA GAMMA
KAPPA Lambda Psi
SIGMA GAMMA Rho
Old 06-24-2003, 07:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Kappa Sigma
Sigma Kappa
Phi Sigma Kappa
Phi Kappa Sigma

lol what's up with that?
Yeah, I definitely had a few people ask me if I was in Sigma Kappa, or girls asking about rushing Kappa Sigma.