GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Delta Phi Fraternity
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,564
1 members and 1,563 guests
Xidelt

Old 06-01-2002, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JayBEE!!
Hey Got a question for you

What was your argument that may your organization split into a society and a fraternity. I feel like it had to be compelling. I'm in Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity. It's a fraternity that first allow female membership to exist, and now has individuals that fully considers the organization to be coed. Yet it still has all male chapters that is more fraternity-like in traditions. If anybody was there, how did the course of your division take place.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-02-2002, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to apogirl25
Thumbs down Re: Get over It!!!!!! LOL

Quote:
Originally posted by JayBEE!!
What was your argument that may your organization split into a society and a fraternity. I feel like it had to be compelling. I'm in Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity. It's a fraternity that first allow female membership to exist, and now has individuals that fully considers the organization to be coed. Yet it still has all male chapters that is more fraternity-like in traditions. If anybody was there, how did the course of your division take place.

YOU ARE SO FUNNY!! GET OVER IT! ITS A NEW DAY AND TIME! THINGS CHANGE FOR A REASON!
Old 06-04-2002, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JayBEE!!
Re: Re: Get over It!!!!!! LOL

Quote:
Originally posted by apogirl25
YOU ARE SO FUNNY!! GET OVER IT! ITS A NEW DAY AND TIME! THINGS CHANGE FOR A REASON!
There are other organizations that had a break up APOGIRL. Alpha Delta Phi was able to become a Fraternity and a Society.
I knew of another organization as well. Delta Omicron use to be a sorority:

Delta Omicron Professional Music Fraternity
Use to be a sorority.

DewGirl: I am a member of a co-ed fraternity, and personally, I'm not a fan of the switch (it was a sorority when I pledged, we had co-ed rammed down our throats) I absolutely love my sorority, as I still call it, (I'd better, I'm the president of it!) but I am displeased with some of the decisions made from above. Some of you may remember my dillemma from way back when on the boards, so you know. Well, I'll be much more discreet now than I was then, but I am not pleased with it. I can see how it can have its postive aspects but...for me it has only created negatives.

We have 1 male member out of 27, who truly is a wonderful guy, and he is my "brother". However, it creates some awkwardness. First off, it makes socials/mixers with other groups difficult. With the exception of our unofficial brother fraternity, we have had very little interaction with other greeks. Since we are not encompassed in NPC or IFC, they seem to want little to do with us, despite our attempts. We are treated as "second rate greeks". We have even had members of other greek orgs on campus come up to us and harrass us because "You are not real
greeks (excuse me???) so quit playing pretend". Just because my organization is co-ed does not mean we are not *real* greeks.

Compelling to say the least. But since you are following me around the network maybe I should have a talk with you. So things change. It doesn't have to take down our founder's dreams in the process. I really didn't care when we got female membership in Alpha Phi Omega. I began to get upset when they came down on All male membership. You see, first we allowed female membership to just exist within Alpha Phi Omega. A peaceful co-existence. Then ten years later, no new all male chapter can form. WTF! And if your chapter has to reactivate it has to become coed in order to reactivate. I'm just marvelling at another organization that was able to keep their fraternalism in tact. Our organization is more like dog eat dog. They even have people trying to say that Alpha Phi Omega initially tried to have this no-male rule back in 1976 when we first allowed female membership. But why would we write down that we were going to seek Title IX exemption. So service organizations would not be affected by it.

The Society/Fraternity idea, already came through our convention and failed.

I also marvel at APO Philippines. To the respect that even though they are Alpha Phi Omega they still have an Alpha Phi Omega fraternity and a Alpha Phi Omega Sorority. And get this, they are not co-ed either.

Last edited by JayBEE!!; 06-04-2002 at 01:49 AM.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:16 AM

Food For Thought!

Quote:
"I also marvel at APO Philippines. To the respect that even though they are Alpha Phi Omega they still have an Alpha Phi Omega fraternity and a Alpha Phi Omega Sorority. And get this, they are not co-ed either." - Posted by Jaybee

Does it mean that a chapter will always or most likely differ by means of degredation or the inverse of it from another chapter if that said chapter is an all-male, all-female chapter, or even co-ed in nature???

The APO Philippines having a Fraternity segregate to a Sorority??? I'm not so sure about it because from my point of view it seems to be one because my friend is the present Grand Chancellor of the AphiO in our campus and he does not agree with the quotation above!

ASF
PHILIPPINES
BH'77

Causa latet vis est notissima - the cause is hidden, but the results are well known.

"To think that all of our college labor in the arduous task of founding a Society has not proved vain, but on the contrary, that Alpha Sigma Phi still stands with her glorious and mystical insignia untarnished. I pray God she may yet survive to transmit to future generations her renown."

Louis Manigault, in a letter to Horace Spangler Weiser, June 1, 1849

"We came in as strangers. We got out as brothers!"
- Our batch quote!

Last edited by Billy Cawley; 02-13-2005 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to broomstick
Straight from alphadeltaphi.org:

Quote:
Alpha Delta Phi was founded in 1832 at Hamilton College in Clinton, New York by Samuel Eells (1810-1842). Founded as a literary society, it evolved into one of the most distinguished of the original American college fraternities. It has retained its focus on its literary roots, by attracting only the best students at only the best colleges and universities in Canada and the United States.
The society is seperate from the fraternity. The society is coed and focuses more on the literary aspects founded by Samuel Eells.