GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,237
1 members and 2,236 guests
Cookiez17

Old 04-26-2005, 07:43 AM
GreekChat Member

"Phi Kappa Tau recognized as chapter "

Phi Kappa Tau recognized as chapter

By Haley Beck | Indiana Daily Student | Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Two years of hard work for the Phi Kappa Tau fraternity culminated April 9 with the official installation of its charter, which recognizes it as a chapter of the national fraternity.

Forty-two newly initiated members were presented with their charter in the State Room of the Indiana Memorial Union.

"It was outstanding," said Rick Wilson, assistant domain director for Phi Kappa Tau national fraternity. "By every measure it was a very special evening."

Geoff Heisey, acting chairman of the board of governors, said even though the entire event was put together by the chapter, a professional event planner could not have done better.

"I don't think I've ever been so proud to be a Phi Tau," he said. "There were wonderful speakers who know what the organization is all about: building men of character. Our men really personify that."

The fraternity has been absent from the IU greek community for 12 years, after a decline in membership led to the local Beta Lambda chapter voluntarily turning in its charter in 1993.

Heisey was part of the last group of Phi Kappa Taus at IU before the current group.

"In the late '80s and early '90s, we lost our identity as a frat," Heisey said. "We failed to recruit because we couldn't figure out what kind of organization we wanted to be. We lost our way."

Heisey said he decided to become a part of the fledgling group at IU after hearing of the group's recolonization. Being a part of the fraternity in 1993 made him even more determined to make this group a success.

"Being there when the charter was turned in was not a happy time for me," he said. "That failure prompted me to become involved and make sure they are successful."

Heisey said the character and energy of the new group led him to believe the men would be successful in their efforts to reinstate the fraternity on campus.

Junior Ryan Healy, president of the new chapter, said the group's next big hurdle is finding housing on campus. He said although 11 members currently occupy an unofficial house on 18th and Lincoln, not having a central location can cause some logistical problems for the fraternity.

"Getting everyone together and communication is sometimes difficult," Healy said. "We have things like a phone tree and listserv, but we want to establish permanent housing as soon as possible."

Healy said now that the group is an official chapter, recruitment and alumni support will improve.

"A lot of our alumni are coming back who were upset about '93 and leery of whether we could pull it off," he said. "We also have a better understanding of the frat itself. It's easier to explain, and we have more to offer to new guys."

Healy said there are benefits to joining a fraternity in such early stages.

"We have something really unique going on here," he said. "Although we've chartered, there is still much more to do. You have a lot more control over the direction the fraternity goes in the next few years."
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-26-2005, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

congratulations to phi kappa tau.
here's to tons of success.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Good for them I forwarded this to my Phi Tau brother (biological) who is going to become *sniff* an alum in less than 2 weeks.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:12 AM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
congrats to them

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 04-26-2005, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Yeah, another expansion Plus.

Congratulations My Interfraternal Brothers of Phi Kappa Tau!

Love long, do well and prosper!!!!!!!!!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni