GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,053
2 members and 1,051 guests
Sarak24034, Sen's Revenge

Old 11-03-2014, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

The new member charts from BPA are wonderful. Tested my vision on the ADPi new member pins by copying the charts to my PC and cropping to just the ADPi pins. I too see a rampant lion in the black and white chart and a unicorn on the color chart. They are not the same pin. Even though the color version is probably the later publication (1950ish?), if BPA made a unicorn pin for ADPi it could have been included in the chart in error. Anyway - I think it is wonderful to have a graphic of the unicorn pin.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Clarifying some historical info. Knowing that Alpha Delta Pi sisters who have been able to research their history will know more.....but from an outsiders look in, and using old yearbooks and magazines online.....you can see how some would think that a Unicorn was used at some point for the pledge pin, as descriptions in the 1910-1915 magazines from Bantas' Greek Exchange, to Delta Gamma Anchora they describe a unicorn:

Also, the color image is not a lion....at least it doesn't look like a lion...more unicorns....

And finally, as someone stated before, there was some confusion about whether Alpha Delta Pi was called a fraternity or sorority.....apparently, in the early 1900s, when they finally started other chapters, the Beta chapter at Salem College for the year 1906, did indeed refer to them as the Alpha Delta Phi fraternity...this may have just been a mistake, but someone from the outside may have taken this in confusion....as things seen on the internet are not always as they seem.......

Lastly, I found also in the old Salem yearbooks, this image of one of the original versions of the Alpha Delta Pi coat of arms, when they were referred to as Alpha Delta Phi: (You can clearly see that they began using a dragon, rather than a lion.)

Old 11-04-2014, 02:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfonia_H-O View Post
Lastly, I found also in the old Salem yearbooks, this image of one of the original versions of the Alpha Delta Pi coat of arms, when they were referred to as Alpha Delta Phi: (You can clearly see that they began using a dragon, rather than a lion.)

From the Adelphean:

"The animal used on the early charters was neither a dragon, nor a unicorn, but instead, a griffin with an eagle's head. There is no mention of its significance in our records."

I'm just saying, badgeguy, that does not "clearly" look like a dragon to me.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRose1912 View Post
I'm just saying, badgeguy, that does not "clearly" look like a dragon to me.
Agreed. That appears to be a griffin. My bad for saying dragon if that is wrong—I got that from here.

Also my bad for injecting confusion into this discussion. I didn't catch that the questions were about the ADPi pin in the old Burr-Patt catalog. I thought people were talking about the picture of the Alpha pin just a little further upthread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IUHoosiergirl88 View Post
Not the best photo, but the best I could find:

And on the subject of Burr-Patt, here is another (later?) catalog:

[/QUOTE]
Old 11-04-2014, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

For those who didn't click on the link MysticCat provided, this is a post by CougADPi, an alumna of Washington State University:

"I know I am really late on this, but here is my two cents: I am alum of Upsilon Chapter. On the crest on our charter there is a dragon, not a unicorn or a lion (it also says Alpha Delta Phi ). We were told that each other original 20 chapters or so each had a different mascot on their crest. This was before the organization had an official mascot and they were "trying out" their various options. We were always very proud of our charter because we do not know of any other ADPI chapters that have a dragon!"

If she's right, and I believe that she would not lie, there was a time of testing the waters, of seeing what has been used and what hasn't been in use at the time. Communications were much slower, and obviously, Beta Chapter (which was only on campus for three years, prior to sororities being banned in 1909) may not have gotten the memo about sorority v. fraternity.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
And on the subject of Burr-Patt, here is another (later?) catalog:

[/QUOTE]

These are pics I posted a few years ago. I believe it's from the 1930s. Thanks for reposting MysticCat -- I was planning on digging around for them later today!
Old 11-04-2014, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
These are pics I posted a few years ago. I believe it's from the 1930s. Thanks for reposting MysticCat -- I was planning on digging around for them later today!
No problem.

One thing that I enjoy about these catalogs is that they aren't limited to NIC/NPC GLOs. We're in there, as are SAI, DO, KKPsi and a number of other defunct and "other" orgs.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
No problem.

One thing that I enjoy about these catalogs is that they aren't limited to NIC/NPC GLOs. We're in there, as are SAI, DO, KKPsi and a number of other defunct and "other" orgs.
I wish they dated the darn things! One reason I think it's from the 1930s is the pic on the inside of the brochure.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I wish they dated the darn things! One reason I think it's from the 1930s is the pic on the inside of the brochure.
And did you catch the really old-school terminology? They call them "pledge buttons," not "pledge pins."
Old 11-04-2014, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Pardon me, MysticCat: "solid gold" was also part of that phrase.

My, my, my. Those WERE the days.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Pardon me, MysticCat: "solid gold" was also part of that phrase.

My, my, my. Those WERE the days.
Ha!

Just realized that we can narrow the time period for this catalog to sometime between 1924 and 1939, as the Theta Kappa Nu pledge "button" is shown. Perhaps others can narrow the time further based on groups whose pledge pin is shown and who were either formed after 1924 or ceased to exist before 1939.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
For those who didn't click on the link MysticCat provided, this is a post by CougADPi, an alumna of Washington State University:

"I know I am really late on this, but here is my two cents: I am alum of Upsilon Chapter. On the crest on our charter there is a dragon, not a unicorn or a lion (it also says Alpha Delta Phi ). We were told that each other original 20 chapters or so each had a different mascot on their crest. This was before the organization had an official mascot and they were "trying out" their various options. We were always very proud of our charter because we do not know of any other ADPI chapters that have a dragon!"

If she's right, and I believe that she would not lie, there was a time of testing the waters, of seeing what has been used and what hasn't been in use at the time. Communications were much slower, and obviously, Beta Chapter (which was only on campus for three years, prior to sororities being banned in 1909) may not have gotten the memo about sorority v. fraternity.
Oh yes, I don't think this contradicts my quote from the Adelphean. I think "the earliest charters" would have been a more accurate phrase to use than "the early charters", but that's how it was worded.

It's page 44, if anyone's interested--one page and an interesting read! Here's some context for the quote I mentioned above:

Discussion of a sorority mascot began with our establishment as a national sorority in 1904. Early chapter charters, stationary and jewelry show several versions of a mascot, ranging from a griffin, a serpent, or a dog-like creature on the charter to a unicorn cresting an Alpha Delta Phi corsage pin.

The first coat of arms (c. 1906) was a curved shield crested by a dragon. At the 1911 Convention the unicorn was adopted as the national symbol of Alpha Delta Pi, although the dragon was still used on the jewelry. The animal used on the early charters was neither a dragon, nor a unicorn, but instead, a griffin with an eagle's head. There is no mention of its significance in our records.

A 1914 report of the Committee on Insignia and Jewelry recommended that the coat of arms be revised to comply with the laws of heraldry, using the lion rampant instead of the unicorn. The lion was adopted for the coat of arms at the 1915 Convention. This discussion is taken from the convention business meeting minutes:

President: "I have heard a great deal of dissatisfaction about the unicorn. Some chapters prefer the lion to the unicorn. It was used until lately."
Miss Thayer: "I think it is time we had one animal and not a whole menagerie."

In keeping with Miss Ethel Thayer's suggestion, the lion, symbol of strength of character, became the official mascot.

Last edited by WhiteRose1912; 11-04-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

These pages, were a part of the 1930 edition of the Bairds Manual. It was, I'm sure part of the advertising done to help support the publication.

On a side note, pertaining to the ADPi insignia, do any of the sisters of ADPi happen to know whether the original use of the unicorn, or griffin, or dragon, had anything to do with possible local societies that became the chapters of ADPi?

I was reading the ADPi history and saw that many of the first chapters were originally local organizations, and had a thought that maybe these locals were using a symbol that pertained to those locals. Maybe like Psi Upsilon and Beta Theta Pi did by allowing each chapter to design its own chapter creat.

I do like how some groups pledge pins did change over time.....it would be cool to see, like the Beta HQ does, a sort of pledge button timeline.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfonia_H-O View Post

Also, the color image is not a lion....at least it doesn't look like a lion...more unicorns....
Perhaps it's because it's Election Day, but I can see the head of a donkey.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

That is a really nice collection of Alpha Phi badges!