GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Gamma > Gamma Phi Beta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,350
0 members and 1,350 guests
No Members online

Old 04-21-2014, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

If you're coming early, let me know. I'll be helping with convention stuff the few days before but I am a native and the convention hotel is only about 15 minutes from my house.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-21-2014, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBlondeGPhB View Post
If you're coming early, let me know. I'll be helping with convention stuff the few days before but I am a native and the convention hotel is only about 15 minutes from my house.
Will do... as I'm one of the two on the R8 team who doesn't live that near, I'll be in at least a day early, I'm sure!

I'm pretty sure we are friends on FB too. (I'm slow on the uptake sometimes!)
Old 04-21-2014, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I am SO excited!!! This will be #4 for me, but my first as a chapter advisor. With some additional funding from HCB and an alumnae chapter we are sending all 7 exec members! I absolutely cannot wait to share the experience with them and see how much they learn.

Eta - apparently I'm so excited that I just made a near repeat of my page 1 post. Lol.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to be registering tonight for Convention; I will be the delegate for my alumnae chapter. It will be my first time attending
Looking forward to meeting y'all!
Old 06-02-2014, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Just over 5 weeks away!!

I guess I didn't mention here, although I mentioned it a bit ago on the Convention thread in Greek Life. I'm on slate for nominating committee. I'm so honored, and will be thrilled no matter what. But of course I'd love to be the delegate. So, um, you'll see me on stage Thursday morning!
Old 06-02-2014, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I noticed that in the packet...I'll vote for you! Last Convention, I was asked by Linda Maloney (a couple weeks beforehand) to present one of the two opening motions. A collegian was asked to present the motion to open Convention, and I presented the motion to accept the agenda. That was fun!
Old 06-23-2014, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I am!!!!!!! This is my 1st Convention, I cannot explain how ecstatic I am to be my chapter delegate Love in ΠΚΕ from Epsilon Zeta, can't wait to meet everyone! <3
Old 06-24-2014, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm also emerging from my cave to let you all know that I will be there as a volunteer, too, since I live in the Seattle area.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Twelve days until Seattle!!!!!
Old 06-28-2014, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

For those who have been to Convention before, how formal do people dress for the Awards dinner and Pink Carnation banquet? I'm having a hard trouble finding something formal to wear that fits and is in my price range
Old 06-28-2014, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliebelle View Post
For those who have been to Convention before, how formal do people dress for the Awards dinner and Pink Carnation banquet? I'm having a hard trouble finding something formal to wear that fits and is in my price range
Award dinner is definitely a short dress...little black dress, evening wedding guest dress, cocktail dress, nice dress/suit, etc. For the Pink Carnation Banquet, You will see everything from short cocktail dresses to long formal gowns with sequins. IC will all be in long gowns. You tend to see more alumnae in long gowns and more collegians in the short dresses collegians are wearing to chapter formals nowadays. I've worn a black cocktail dress with beading, a sleeveless long gown with a beaded bodice, and a dressy black skirt with a beaded jacket/tank. It's just like formal night on a cruise, if you've done that. I've worn the same things to both.

I've found this is a good time to find mother-of-the-bride, post-prom dresses on sale at department stores (Younkers is near us and that's where I've shopped). You can find a good variety to match your age status.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 06-28-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Award dinner is definitely a short dress...little black dress, evening wedding guest dress, cocktail dress, nice dress/suit, etc. For the Pink Carnation Banquet, You will see everything from short cocktail dresses to long formal gowns with sequins. IC will all be in long gowns. You tend to see more alumnae in long gowns and more collegians in the short dresses collegians are wearing to chapter formals nowadays. I've worn a black cocktail dress with beading, a sleeveless long gown with a beaded bodice, and a dressy black skirt with a beaded jacket/tank. It's just like formal night on a cruise, if you've done that. I've worn the same things to both.

I've found this is a good time to find mother-of-the-bride, post-prom dresses on sale at department stores (Younkers is near us and that's where I've shopped). You can find a good variety to match your age status.
This is actually super helpful! I have a nice dress that I was going to wear to my rehearsal dinner that I will likely wear for the awards dinner if I can't find 2 nicer dresses. I'm not 100% on it since it's a thicker cotton material though. My body type is tricky to shop for, and I haven't seen anything I have liked so far. I need to go to Nordstrom's and another Macy's though!
Old 06-28-2014, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I wouldn't worry as much about the awards dinner. Some sisters may wear their business attire from meetings that day...I wouldn't worry about the cotton material. If you're possibly going on stage to pick up a chapter award, it may be worth fussing over a bit more...otherwise, just nice business attire or a dress should be just fine. There isn't a lot of time to change in between events (although this year's schedule looks like it has some decent breaks). Sisters get creative with adding a colorful sweater or scarf to their white dresses for the am business meeting, and taking that off for ritual on Saturday afternoon.

I attended Convention as a collegian, and then there was a long gap before the first time I went as an alumna. I worried about my attire quite a bit the first time I went back, a little bit the second time, and now I don't really think about it too much. Trust me, you will see all shapes and sizes, and as long as you're appropriate for that day's attire, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The dress code sounds strict, but I think it's mostly to help the young collegians know what to wear so they're interpreting the dress code correctly.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Four days!!!!!! It's all I can do to not start packing already.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
^^^ I worried about my attire quite a bit the first time I went back, a little bit the second time, and now I don't really think about it too much. Trust me, you will see all shapes and sizes, and as long as you're appropriate for that day's attire, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The dress code sounds strict, but I think it's mostly to help the young collegians know what to wear so they're interpreting the dress code correctly.
^^^ this!

I started laying everything out last night. I always waffle back and forth but ended up deciding to return the long dress I had bought for Pink Carnation after trying on several dresses already in my closet. (I'd get the wear out of it for sure, but realized I just didn't "love" the dress enough to need it!)

I also finally got a new white dress after trying on every white dress in sight for the last two months. I don't love it, but it's better than the well-worn whites already in my closet!

I leave tomorrow - have to (ironically) go to Syracuse for business first on my way.