GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,444
0 members and 1,444 guests
No Members online

Old 11-01-2007, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay, there are so many things here that I want to quote and respond to, but there were just too many.

FIRST, and most importantly, I was not implying anything just because it was a NORTHERN school. That tidbit was SOLELY for informational purposes. I've read enough "I'm a PNM what should I do?" threads to know that one of the most common questions is, "It depends on where you are." "Southern rush is so different from northern." The geography was ONLY to give more information. I never said that I was from a Southern school, or that southern rush was better. You certainly took that out of context.

SECOND, I have assisted in more than one rush. This is the first time that I'm in on the actual advisors-side. My questions are coming from listening to the active members and advisors complain that something needs to change. I didn't want to say anything about MS, but since someone else mentioned it, that is a big part of the problem as well. Trying to remember 800+ girls information in one evening?

THIRD, I have not made ANY suggestions to anyone. I am simply trying to collect information on how other schools do it. Recruitment at my school was completely different, the Greek atmosphere is totally different. I am not naive enough to think that since it worked at my school, it will work here. As I mentioned before, this is based on complaints from the other advisors (who have been assisting for 12 +years) and the chapter members who don't want to be in MS until midnight!

FOURTH, thank you to all who understand the true sentiment in which my information was first written. There have been issues with return numbers at this school, and many feel that it is because of how unorganized recruitment is. I know that many on here are close to the recruitment process at their particular school, and I thought this would be a good source of information.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-01-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonAlumna View Post
My questions are coming from listening to the active members and advisors complain that something needs to change. I didn't want to say anything about MS, but since someone else mentioned it, that is a big part of the problem as well.

As I mentioned before, this is based on complaints from the other advisors (who have been assisting for 12 +years) and the chapter members who don't want to be in MS until midnight!

There have been issues with return numbers at this school, and many feel that it is because of how unorganized recruitment is.
It would have helped a lot if you would have said all of this in your first post, rather than "I couldn't believe it" and "this system is wasting a lot of time." It made you come off in much the same way as a certain oft-banned poster on here who thought it was just ridiculous that people actually wore jeans at rush and basically completely dissed the women she was supposed to be "advising."

If you and the other advisors want to get together and try to institute this, rock out with your sock out, but don't be surprised if you get asked why and expected to prove that it will help recruitment - by the administration, by the rushees and by the chapter members.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I am in the south and most schools here use ICS or some other computer service for registration, recruitment lists, bid matching, etc. It all comes in the package. Frankly, with 1200 PNMs at Auburn I don't know how they would do it without comupter assistance. There the women sign up for recruitment when they attend Camp War Eagle - orientation. PH then sends out that information to the chapters as they register. When I was City Sponsorship Chairman I got all my women in an Excel spreadsheet with everything she put on the registration form - home address, high school, parents, activities, legacy information, etc. Made it very easy to find someone to do a sponsor form on her. And the chapter uses it during workshop to learn about the women and also to sponsor any they may know.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It would have helped a lot if you would have said all of this in your first post, rather than "I couldn't believe it" and "this system is wasting a lot of time." It made you come off in much the same way as a certain oft-banned poster on here who thought it was just ridiculous that people actually wore jeans at rush and basically completely dissed the women she was supposed to be "advising."

If you and the other advisors want to get together and try to institute this, rock out with your sock out, but don't be surprised if you get asked why and expected to prove that it will help recruitment - by the administration, by the rushees and by the chapter members.

I apologize...I had tried to get as much detail without being long-winded. Hopefully things are all clear now, and we can get some good ideas. The advisors from all chapters get together periodically to discuss, and they want to have each sorority contribute $20 to buy a digital cam for panhel, that way a picture is taken of each girl and emailed to the chapter.

This chapter just had a National representative visit and make a bunch of suggestions to the chapter. Now, the officers are bringing it to the advisors as something they want to do. I am certainly not being one of those,'Well this is how MY chapter did it..." kind of people. The system seems to be really open to making things change and make it easier for EVERYONE...PNM's and the chapters.

Some people have mentioned that it's unfair/unnecessary for the GLOs to have prior knowledge of the PNM's, but aren't PNM's able to get plenty of information about the groups before recruitment? We have national websites as well as chapter specific ones where these women can find out all kinds of things before recruitment starts. Many have said that they use it as a talking point...in fact many alumnae here have RECOMMENDED it to PNM's to help show interest. Why is it different for the GLO's to know a little about the girls coming in prior to parties? In fact, it might actually help some of the women that we've heard about who get so shy. If they are not able to initiate a conversation, and immediately get written off as 'uninterested'...would they have not been better served knowing a little bit about them? Why do we encourage Recs be written? Because it's MORE information.

Thank you FSUZeta, your last sentence is exactly what I've been getting at!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonAlumna View Post
I apologize...I had tried to get as much detail without being long-winded. Hopefully things are all clear now, and we can get some good ideas. The advisors from all chapters get together periodically to discuss, and they want to have each sorority contribute $20 to buy a digital cam for panhel, that way a picture is taken of each girl and emailed to the chapter.
Does your campus use ICS? Is there a place where PNMs can upload a picture of themselves as part of their registration so PHA doesn't have to photograph 800+ PNMs (and not to mention save some money)?

ETA: My campus started using ICS the year after I joined, so I have no idea what the PNM registration page looks like, but I'd assume you could customize the registration info for your campus, and that uploading a picture would be an option.

Last edited by violetpretty; 11-01-2007 at 11:58 PM.