GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,421
0 members and 1,421 guests
No Members online

Old 10-16-2022, 07:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Delta Gamma just did a $30 - 40 million capital campaign
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-19-2022, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
AFAIK, as of 2018, SAI owns our NH building free and clear. And, the NH history/ritual room was just recently completed. I certainly hope we won't we don't go the remote working route.
Old 10-24-2022, 02:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
If you're sitting on real estate that nobody is using because of WFH, there's no sense in holding on to it. I mean, what's the purpose of the empty building if they're all working remotely? Seems to me that financially it's a smart decision. I don't know all the logistics of the history and items, but nothing a couple of storage units couldn't take care of.

I live 90 minutes from my sorority's national headquarters and I've NEVER been there. I don't know that I'd care if they sold it either. Our IHQ has moved at least 4 times that I know of, so it's not that we've been there forever and the building has some special meaning.

I know that I'm in the minority here, but times are tough, and you need to be fiscally responsible and smart to survive. Good for AZD for doing what they think is best.
Old 10-25-2022, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

At our Convention this summer, this was announced as something that sororities are contemplating, so I'm just guessing there will be more who make this move or at least consider it if it works out for Alpha Phi and Alpha Xi Delta.
Old 10-26-2022, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I've visited the Chi Omega, Kappa Delta, Alpha Omicron Pi, Alpha Delta Pi, Phi Mu, and Delta Delta Delta headquarters. I thoroughly enjoyed visiting all of them. I hate the idea of not having a central office, especially being able to see the museums/archives.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
It hasn't been sold yet - I found it listed by Coldwell - the listing says it is actively for sale for $1,975,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelyDays View Post
AGDee - pretty sure that was Alpha Phi
Old 10-28-2022, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I've visited the Chi Omega, Kappa Delta, Alpha Omicron Pi, Alpha Delta Pi, Phi Mu, and Delta Delta Delta headquarters. I thoroughly enjoyed visiting all of them. I hate the idea of not having a central office, especially being able to see the museums/archives.
I agree, sister.
Old 10-30-2022, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
I agree, sister.
I see both sides. It would be so much less expensive to run the overall organization without having that physical space. Similar to the question that many corporations are facing right now- keep office space that the last three years has shown isn't really needed? or try to maintain that brick and mortar presence?
Old 10-31-2022, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Exactly. It's really a financial issue, and these spaces are very expensive.
Old 10-31-2022, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

I'd be pretty discouraged if I was an alumna of AXiD. They are an organization with significant revenues comparable to other organizations which have no problem maintaining significant B&M facilities. If they can't afford a physical plant, where is the money going?

My own organization maintains a sprawling campus in Lexington, VA with multiple historic buildings--all very well preserved, including a museum of our historical artifacts.

My first feeling--is that unless there is something particularly problematic about AXiD's revenue as compared to peer organizations is that maybe executive compensation needs to be looked at or that there may be something untoward going on.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-01-2022, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I think there's another reason why the financial obligation of maintaining a sorority headquarters is difficult, compared to large, old fraternities like Sigma Nu. I would hazard a guess that many fraternities have received significantly higher donation revenue through the years than most sororities, due to gender disparities in the workforce, income, financial control of household finances and discretionary spending, etc. I've wondered about that over the years, because it just seems logical that there would be a gap. For many decades, there wouldn't have been as many women who had the income levels or access to discretionary funds that would allow them to make significant contributions to capital campaigns.

In other words, scroll through the notable alumni on some fraternity sites, and compare that to the notable alumnae on sorority sites. Lots more CEOs, etc. among the men = lots more money to donate = paid off facilities.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 11-01-2022 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-01-2022, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Erma Bombeck once wrote women raising money tended to hold a big community bake sale, sell out, and clear a small profit amount (say $75.00), whereas one man would take a second man out for an inexpensive fundraising lunch pitch and go home with a check for $500.00 toward the fundraise from that second man. She knew, fifty years ago, that women consistently thought small when it came to raising money.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 11-02-2022, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Some sororities have taken a huge hit in donations due to their trying to totally change policies and traditions by pretending that they listened to opposing views. Maybe those groups won't be able to maintain their HQs.
Old 11-03-2022, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm really disappointed - we're selling ours.
"In September 2022, an interested buyer presented us with an offer to purchase our building on East Euclid Drive. After 10 years of considering the building’s sale, International Council (IC) determined the time had come to reduce our physical footprint and sell the building. We will close on the sale of the property and vacate in January 2023. We are currently seeking a smaller location that better meets our business needs."
Old 11-03-2022, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

I am so very sorry, SWTXBelle, as well as everyone else in this situation. I would be horrified if our EO went in the same direction.