GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,457
2 members and 1,455 guests
atylerlttleoz15, Xidelt

Old 08-02-2010, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Rush Right - Thoughts?

I have found a website called Suresister.com which has a book on it called Rush Right by Sunday Tollefson.

I have not read the book, nor do I own it.

I have a few questions:
1. Have you read it? Or even heard of it?
2. If you have read it, what are your thoughts?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Personally I wouldn't spend $20 on a book about recruitment. I just don't believe there could be much in her book that is more informative than what you can already find.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

A few of us were just talking about this about a week ago. It looks like crap, IMHO. Another GCer knows a Greek Life Advisor who has skimmed it and was not impressed. That's as close to reading it as I have come, but the highlights looked vacuous.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-02-2010, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with both of you. I mean, yes, I am a PNM and I do not know anything about recruitment other than what is written in my recruitment book and what is written on GC, but it didn't seem to have anything really worth reading..

I mean, I could see how it will sell though. Scared PNMs who haven't found GC yet thinking that it will be a good deal, but..

Just checking with GC before I attempt to find a copy locally to skim.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I think it might be helpful to people are are very clueless about recruitment to the point where they don't know anything other than what they see in movies. Books like this are often just a compiling of info you can find elsewhere, and often contain a lot of common sense disguised as "tips".

These are people who might even come here and ask very basic and general questions (What is a bid? Do I have to rush all the sororities?), then fail to read any of the stickied or suggested threads or use the search button.

These are the people who post "I don't know any greeks and I want to be in a sorority. Give me your advice". If you spent a couple of hours, you really can find everything you need to know here, for free. A lot of people also don't realize that they can look in their own back yard (campus Panhel or chapter websites, Greek life office, Greek friends) to get general and specific information.

Aryelle, if you are really interested in checking the book out (I don't see any reviews on Amazon), see if your local bookstore has it and read some if it there, or check your library. That might be the best way to see if it has enough information for YOU to justify purchasing it.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
I think it might be helpful to people are are very clueless about recruitment to the point where they don't know anything other than what they see in movies. Books like this are often just a compiling of info you can find elsewhere, and often contain a lot of common sense disguised as "tips".

These are people who might even come here and ask very basic and general questions (What is a bid? Do I have to rush all the sororities?), then fail to read any of the stickied or suggested threads or use the search button.

These are the people who post "I don't know any greeks and I want to be in a sorority. Give me your advice". If you spent a couple of hours, you really can find everything you need to know here, for free. A lot of people also don't realize that they can look in their own back yard (campus Panhel or chapter websites, Greek life office, Greek friends) to get general and specific information.

Aryelle, if you are really interested in checking the book out (I don't see any reviews on Amazon), see if your local bookstore has it and read some if it there, or check your library. That might be the best way to see if it has enough information for YOU to justify purchasing it.
That's what I was planning to do.

And ironically, I was the girl you described a few months ago. I am a child of a greek-less family and only knew of what I saw in movies. I hope I didn't come off as pathetic as you described. I mean, I used the search function, read the stickies and tip threads, and contacted the local offices. So I was a step ahead of the curve there I guess.

Either way, thank you everyone for your advice and thoughts on the book. I'm going to check my local bookmans to see if they have it since my library doesn't seem to.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerylle View Post
That's what I was planning to do.

And ironically, I was the girl you described a few months ago. I am a child of a greek-less family and only knew of what I saw in movies. I hope I didn't come off as pathetic as you described. I mean, I used the search function, read the stickies and tip threads, and contacted the local offices. So I was a step ahead of the curve there I guess.

Either way, thank you everyone for your advice and thoughts on the book. I'm going to check my local bookmans to see if they have it since my library doesn't seem to.
Not having the info is not pathetic. You said in one of your first emails that you contacted the Greek Life office about rushing as a sophomore, and suggested to someone else to ask make friends and talk to people in sororities for information.

There are plenty of women who have a lot of questions about recruitment, and that's fine. I just don't understand when people come here and post "I want to be in a sorority. What do I do?", when there this site has a ton of information. (Not to mention that search engines can find the answers to a lot of common questions, such as when State University holds recruitment, or how to find out if you are a legacy to ABC.)

Use the search box to find out what different terms mean or find threads on your school or "unique situation", read the stickied threads to learn the basics of recruitment (in case you don't know what terms to search for), and read the recruitment stories to get an idea of what it's like to go through recruitment. The site is very easy to use, and yet so many people don't READ here.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

everything you need to know about recruitment, you can get from greekchat for free.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
everything you need to know about recruitment, you can get from greekchat for free.
This.

I saw the book you mentioned once - either at a book store or like at a yard sale. I flipped through it and was not impressed. My immediate thought was - GC's advice is sooo much better!
Old 08-02-2010, 02:11 PM

This chick posted on here before. She kept talking about herself in the 3rd person which brought the LOLs. She was putting across some ideas that were on the misleading side (telling PNMs they'd be "irresistable" if they did this or that). At any rate, we laughed her off of here and now she's moved on to spamming all the sororities' FB pages and acting like her services have been approved by HQ. I've reported her on ours numerous times.

Her posts on here are under username SureSister if you want to search. Every time I try to do that and put up a link, people always say they can't see it, but I'll try again.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/se...archid=6214509

Last edited by 33girl; 08-02-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This chick posted on here before. She kept talking about herself in the 3rd person which brought the LOLs. She was putting across some ideas that were on the misleading side (telling PNMs they'd be "irresistable" if they did this or that). At any rate, we laughed her off of here and now she's moved on to spamming all the sororities' FB pages and acting like her services have been approved by HQ. I've reported her on ours numerous times.

Her posts on here are under username SureSister if you want to search. Every time I try to do that and put up a link, people always say they can't see it, but I'll try again.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/se...archid=6214509
Well the link is saying "sorry no matches" however that is fine. You already solved the mystery as to why the name Sure Sister sounded familiar to me. Now I remember her ridiculous posts as I was part of those completely laughing at her.

To the OP- Agree with everyone else. Everything that you could need and then some is here on GC for free. If you are smart enough to read stickies and use the search function then you are smart enough to not have to waste money on that book. Plus, her book is ONE person's opinion. GC has opinions of thousands of people. Just can't beat that deal, especially for the price.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:45 PM

LOL.

I've thumbed through this at a bookstore before.

There is literally NOTHING in it that you could not find here for FREE.

I also get the impression that she markets her book in a "this book is GUARANTEED to get you a bid" kind of way. This is obviously not so.

I wouldn't buy it.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
Not having the info is not pathetic. You said in one of your first emails that you contacted the Greek Life office about rushing as a sophomore, and suggested to someone else to ask make friends and talk to people in sororities for information.

There are plenty of women who have a lot of questions about recruitment, and that's fine. I just don't understand when people come here and post "I want to be in a sorority. What do I do?", when there this site has a ton of information. (Not to mention that search engines can find the answers to a lot of common questions, such as when State University holds recruitment, or how to find out if you are a legacy to ABC.)

Use the search box to find out what different terms mean or find threads on your school or "unique situation", read the stickied threads to learn the basics of recruitment (in case you don't know what terms to search for), and read the recruitment stories to get an idea of what it's like to go through recruitment. The site is very easy to use, and yet so many people don't READ here.
By pathetic I didn't mean the lacking knowledge part. I meant the lack of sense to use the search button and actually read before asking stupid questions.

And yes, that was one of my first posts. Ironically enough, it doesn't mean anything now 'cause I'm a freshman. Lol.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
LOL.

I've thumbed through this at a bookstore before.

There is literally NOTHING in it that you could not find here for FREE.

I also get the impression that she markets her book in a "this book is GUARANTEED to get you a bid" kind of way. This is obviously not so.

I wouldn't buy it.
Just curious, in which bookstore did you find this book?

Also, to be clear, I do not indicate in any way that following advice contained in the book will guarantee a bid. Nothing in any of the marketing materials, blog articles, website, or the book itself indicates a guarantee. In fact the book even states, "THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES." Not sure how you arrived at that impression.

~*~
SureSister ~*~

Old 09-16-2010, 08:00 AM
GreekChat Member

LOL "Bob Dole ITY?"

I miss OTW and nittanyalum.