GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 1,586
1 members and 1,585 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 10-17-2016, 09:52 PM

Can trans girls be sorority girls? (Cosmo article title)

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/college/...public-policy/

Interesting Cosmo piece about the struggles of trans women seeking sorority membership.

Sidenote: Proud to be one of three sororities mentioned in the article with official policies inclusive of transgender women.

Lakers Nation.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-17-2016, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I wonder if she will get a bid. I hope so. But I enjoyed the article. It was frank and to the point.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Just some clarification, would a university/college local panhellenic also need to say yes to being inclusive even if they have sororities like DG, SSS or KKG that already have the policy inact?

I was just thinking about that with my sorority, especially after reading minutes from the past convention about including inclusive language such as including transgender women. I know I would, as well as my own chapter would be fine with this but I guess that where my question would go to about if panhellenic would have to approve at my school?

Old 10-17-2016, 10:54 PM

A local Panhellenic cannot supersede our policy statements, to my knowledge.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think they had up to date information on which groups have positions although some groups may not have them publicly posted and that could be what they went by.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Trans Women in Rush

I don't know if they received bids but my daughter told me there were 2 trans women who went through rush this fall at her school. My question is while I understand PH wanting to prepare the chapters, maybe only officers/rush chairs should have been advised so the chapters could make their own decision(s) regarding these individuals without any even accidental bias from PH?
Old 10-20-2016, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Different lane, I know, but one of our chapters accepted a trans member last year. HQ was aware and did not interfere.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-20-2016, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I don't think they had up to date information on which groups have positions although some groups may not have them publicly posted and that could be what they went by.
I'm fairly certain the article mentions that the three groups named are the only ones with public, front-facing policies. I know there are more than that that have internal policies the author may not have known about.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's great that various colleges and/or fraternity and sorority organizations have become more open to LGBTQ members. The mood was very different when I went to school.

But, what happens if any of the other new members are uncomfortable with a fellow trans sister? Or, maybe they're fine with having a trans sister, but uncomfortable about having her live in the house?
Old 10-20-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWguy View Post

But, what happens if any of the other new members are uncomfortable with a fellow trans sister? Or, maybe they're fine with having a trans sister, but uncomfortable about having her live in the house?
Um. They need to grow up?

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWguy View Post
I think it's great that various colleges and/or fraternity and sorority organizations have become more open to LGBTQ members. The mood was very different when I went to school.

The NM can drop. The chapter gave her transwoman sister a bid. If you don't like someone that your chapter bid, you suck it up or you drop. (Or you spend time with them, get to know them, and try to see why the chapter thought they were worth bidding.)

It's up to the individual member to decide if she disagrees with the rest of the chapter enough to drop out.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

So there are members of the NPC whose public national policies allow trans women, and some where they are not public. Are there members of the NPC whose national policies would not allow a trans woman to become a member?

And if the above is true, how would rush (and behind the scenes documentation) be done in the case where some of the people going through rush would not be allowed to be in some of the sororities.

I can't come up with a previous parallel here, neither race limitations, religious limitations nor ancestry limitations would seem to work as a parallel...
Old 10-21-2016, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
So there are members of the NPC whose public national policies allow trans women, and some where they are not public. Are there members of the NPC whose national policies would not allow a trans woman to become a member?

And if the above is true, how would rush (and behind the scenes documentation) be done in the case where some of the people going through rush would not be allowed to be in some of the sororities.

I can't come up with a previous parallel here, neither race limitations, religious limitations nor ancestry limitations would seem to work as a parallel...
Same as it would work for grade requirements. PNMs would attend the first round(s) and then be dropped at the first invitational round.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I was thinking the same thing. GPA minimums are nationally/internationally set, but may not be publicly shared. PNMs who meet the minimum GPA set by their university Panhellenic visit all chapters during formal recruitment, even though there may be groups who have higher minimum GPA requirements and will have to release any PNM who doesn't meet it. Even if a group has not adopted an inclusive policy statement toward transgender women, PNMs would still visit all sororities participating in formal recruitment. I can't see anyone being excluded from visiting certain groups.

Membership selection is still private. Some groups may be concerned about Title IX. Naraht, some of your questions are unanswerable, TBD, etc. This is new territory.

I'm wondering if there will be any policies forthcoming regarding transgender PNMs who joined a fraternity and after transitioning want to join an NPC sorority.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:12 PM

As with other previous restrictions regarding race, religion etc, there are no doubt individual chapters that are pledging and initiating trans members regardless of what national policies say.