GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen

Old 02-27-2010, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I guess they put their heart into that one routine and teach that to every new team member. That may or may not be a bad thing and here's why...

For those who don't know (I know rhoyaltempest knows this ):

Step teams create routines and they sometimes have an "exhibition version" and a "competition version." Good shows take a very long time to create, teach, learn, and implement WELL (anyone can step like crap--stepping well takes some level of skill, dedication, and time).

If you are able to see a particular team in more than one performance (exhibition or competition), you will sometimes find that they have used the same performance for multiple shows within the calendar year. However, you won't find too many good teams that use the same competition-based show for two years in a row; and teach that exact show to all new members and new steppers. UNLESS it is a routine that they keep in their "vault" to perform for low-level shows like a "welcome back" event or chapter programs. Most campus and certain local shows aren't worth the time it takes to create new shows--so you pull stuff from the "vault" that you already know.

Now that ZTA has become known for that routine, thanks youtube , they will want to create a new one for future competitions. THEY, meaning not a choreography and/or a nonZTA. If they can pull that off without outside help and without stealing steps, I say GOOD LUCK, and if they win, I say CONGRATS.
Agree totally. However, they should've made up a new routine for THIS show. 2008 Really? They were playing off of the fact that those outside of the U. of Arkansas had never seen the show.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-27-2010, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU_ZTA86 View Post
A competition is a competition. Unless it is noted as being being exclusive to a particular group, it is open. I do not know how it was marketed/advertised by Sprite but it *appears* to have been an open invite.
You still don't get it and you don't want to. The end.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
Let's not forget that some of the biggest step shows are alumni/alumnae sponsored.
Yes, certainly can't forget these although I don't believe my alumnae chapter has ever sponsored a stepshow in all the years we've existed (since 1941).
Old 02-27-2010, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Always have to have the last word, right?

Yes, I do hope we can eventually win this "award" or "honor" or whatever you want to call it. Considering they were "awarded" scholarship money tells me they won an "award" by doing this.

Making the ZTAs share an award for 1st place to appease people shows me how childish some people have made this.
If you are mad, be mad at Sprite. On the other hand if the NPHC has the power to convince Sprite to have the AKA's share first place, then we also have the power to convince them to make the competition open to just NPHC next year. If that happens, so much for your org competing for the "step award."
Old 02-27-2010, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
I know you think you're someone special, but you're not. .
The last time someone told me that, we were on the playground at recess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Several parts of this post show that you have no idea what you're talking about.
I told her to stop, but she didn't want to listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post

That entertainingly brings us full circle and I'm sure I'm not the only person who notices that and is amused.
You are most certainly not!
Old 02-27-2010, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
Now THIS is interesting (don't forget the audio):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKYrCtE0gFg

Apparently AKA has been spreading the love for some years at the U. of Arkansas.
Okay serious question folks (especially Black folks), why is it that we feel the need to give away/share our traditions??? (and the Lawrence Ross article is typical of Lawrence Ross so no, the article wasn't interesting to me).

Really. When I first heard unity stepshow I thought that the AKA's at the U. of Arkansas were sponsoring a unity stepshow where both NPHC and other greeks participated in together (stepping together) but from the looks of the videos, it's an all NPC and other greeks stepshow, promotiong unity among those groups (even though apparently the winner got to compete in the annual NPHC stepshow).

I'm pretty sure those greeks have their own unifying events like the Greek Sing at some schools. So why do we (as Black folks) feel the need to show others and not only show them, but get them involved in what we do exclusively (or almost exclusively)? Is it that we are still trying to be accepted? are we showing off? are we just kind hearted? I really want to know your thoughts on this.

It's not racist to hold dear your cultural traditions and many other cultures TRULY value theirs and wouldn't even consider involving others in what they hold dear and in what they feel only they can truly understand and appreciate. This is something that I really admire about the Latin community.

I am sooooo serious about this question (although ofcourse I have my own opinions and ideas) and welcome your thoughts.

Last edited by rhoyaltempest; 02-27-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Okay serious question folks (especially Black folks), why is it that we feel the need to give away/share our traditions??? (and the Lawrence Ross article is typical of Lawrence Ross so no, the article wasn't interesting to me).
I have been pondering this question myself. I've never been one to think this was okay. But I know many people who have the mentality, as someone else mentioned, that it is "cute" to do so. Cute because they think that they are teaching them (white people) something new. Sorry if that is harsh, but that's really what some people have actually said. It's a show-off kind of thing. smh

I agree that it isn't racist to hold those traditions dear. Although I have noticed that some will certainly try to make it seem so.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Okay serious question folks (especially Black folks), why is it that we feel the need to give away/share our traditions???
Wolfman said it best several pages back in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
On a broader note, this brings up the costs of operating in an "integrated" society. We, as black people, tended only to look at the benefits of access to institutions and services enjoyed by others but not the fact that this also meant that we would be some "assimilation" on our end. You can't have one without the other. The real issue is how this dynamic is navigated.
Simply put, we simply do not live in a society that has a monolithic culture and/or homogenous population. You want to live in an integrated society? Giving away some of our traditions is part of the price that we have to pay for integrating.

It is inherently expected that in any given society, everyone within it is expected to contribute to the society to help define it. It is unrealistic to expose your subculture your immediate society and not expect others to want to participate.

You live in America, a melting pot which consists of a largely diverse conglomerate of other cultures. So it is virtually impossible to totally insulate your culture from other cultures, because you co-exist with them every day. FWIW, America has a tendency to bastardize other cultures in some way or form because of the "melting pot" theory.

Simply put, you want to keep your traditions to yourself? Go find an isolated area of land and create a society that consists of the monolithic culture and homogenous population that you seek, and your traditions will be more or less secured within the confines of your society. But bottom line, you won't find that here.

Last edited by KAPital PHINUst; 02-27-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AU_ZTA86 Send a message via Yahoo to AU_ZTA86
Let it be - two very deserving organizations are sharing an awesome title. Let's leave it at that?!?!?!
Old 02-27-2010, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAPital PHINUst View Post
Simply put, because you do not live in a society that has a monolithic culture and/or homogenous population.

That notwithstanding, it is inherently expected that in any given society, everyone within it is expected to contribute to the society to help define it. It is unrealistic to expose your subculture your immediate society and not expect others to want to participate.

You live in America, a melting pot which consists of a largely diverse conglomerate of other cultures. So it is virtually impossible to totally insulate your culture from other cultures, because you co-exist with them every day. FWIW, America has a tendency to bastardize other cultures in some way or form because of the "melting pot" theory.

Simply put, you want to keep your traditions to yourself? Go find an isolated area of land and create a society that consists of the monolithic culture and homogenous population that you seek, and your traditions will be more or less secured within the confines of your society. But bottom line, you won't find that here.
Missed the point as always. Why do WE teach them and in some cases, seek others out to teach???? That is the question.

Other cultures don't share like we do. Read the entire post again and try answering the question again.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU_ZTA86 View Post
Let it be - two very deserving organizations are sharing an awesome title. Let's leave it at that?!?!?!
We are on to a much larger issue that WE want to discuss. Move on.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Missed the point as always. Why do WE teach them and in some cases, seek others out to teach???? That is the question.
No I did not miss the point, if anything I think YOU are missing the point. Wolfman made a great point on page 3 of this thread that I edited to include in my response. Check it out.

Quote:
Other cultures don't share like we do. Read the entire post again and try answering the question again.
Other cultures aren't as assimilated in other cultures' societies either, their populations are more homogenous, their political land boundaries belong exclusively to them, and thus they can afford the option to share or not share their traditions. We don't have that same luxury. Furthermore, we as blacks always have sought to be seen as equal to whites and have access to the same resources whites did, and while a significant amount of that access has been granted, the admission price for such access was assimilation into their culture.

Last edited by KAPital PHINUst; 02-27-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Simply put, we simply do not live in a society that has a monolithic culture and/or homogenous population. You want to live in an integrated society? Giving away some of our traditions is part of the price that we have to pay for integrating.

It is inherently expected that in any given society, everyone within it is expected to contribute to the society to help define it. It is unrealistic to expose your subculture your immediate society and not expect others to want to participate.

GTFOHWTBS

UT
Old 02-27-2010, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
GTFOHWTBS
Translation: Touche!

Quote:
UT
Please, call me Tommy!
Old 02-27-2010, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

To the bolded black point:
It is actually quite realistic for "our*" subcultures to be exposed to the culture at large without the expectation that the members of the culture at large will want to participate. Especially when "our" particular subculture has historically been demonized, disrespected, disregarded, and (attepted to be) discarded by many members of the culture at large. Its not like you see "mainstream" people trying to join in the black church and/or black religious traditions. There are far too many facets of "our" subculture that it would be realistic to expect mainstream folks not to want to participate in. One of the main indicators of their lack of desire to participate is the fact that they do not join D9 orgs en masse. Another is the fact that most often they do not come to the D9 and ask to be taught to step or any other part of D9 tradition and culture. There generally is no expectation that any subculture must contribute to the culture overall in order to survive. It is actually historically the opposite. Thats why your argument makes little sense to me.

To the bolded red point:
Im going to have to agree with Rhoyaltempest that you missed her point.
The American "melting pot" image is a farce. We're not culturally inclusive when and where it is most important. Our laws and our governing isnt culturally inclusive enough for us to even hint that we're a melting pot. Rhoyaltempest didnt suggest insulation of traditions or cultures. She wanted to know, quite validly, why people of a specific culture (D9 Greeks and realistically Black people) extend themselves to include others in a culture they seem to have little to no interest in.

Its like recruiting a pro baseball player to play pro soccer with the knowledge that he can never play for your soccer team. Yeah, he could do it, but its not his sport and he expressed absolutely NO interest in doing it. Why would you spend time trying to teach him soccer and make him interested? What value do you get out of it? Especially when him playing soccer (and not for your team) dilutes and misplaces the value of your team's players. By teaching him soccer you've now made your league a free for all that has lost its spirit and purpose. What was once a sport of love and high intangible value is now just another commercialized item up for sale.

*note: As I am not D9 my use of "our" refers to black culture overall (because I've pondered the same question as it pertains to black culture) and to the aspect of D9 orgs as they are a part of black culture.