GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,291
3 members and 2,288 guests
Cookiez17, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 02-26-2010, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If anyone is to blame it's Sprite and/or MTV and they are just trying now to save face although it's really too late. Many errors and wrong doings occurred during this event even in the regional competitions. My sorors for example, competed against other D9 sororities coming in last place in Chicago when it was obvious that they should've come in 1st or 2nd. Sprite then reviewed the scoring sheet and changed the decision and gave my sorors 2nd place, although some still believed they should've gotten 1st. Errors like this occurred throughout the entire competition from what I hear and everything was very disorganized. Scoring sheets were reviewed several times because of discrepancies. It became obvious to many that Sprite was really only interested in capitalizing on the popularity of the D9. Many also thought that this was only a D9 competition since the D9 was used mostly for advertising and promotion. Many members were shocked to learn eventually that the competition was not a D9 event.
If what you're saying in this paragraph is true, then the whole event, from regionals to nationals sounds like a bogus competition where Sprite/Coke is only worried about the marketing implications and covering their ass.

Perhaps the best solution would be to take the whole event away from this "corporate agenda driven" entity and put it back into the realm of college competitions where the judges would be collegiates with the proper credentials and knowledge of history of the dances/steps to make the correct judging decisions.

IMO, the controversy only underminds the legitimacy of the competition (just like in scoring at the Olympics)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-26-2010, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
If what you're saying in this paragraph is true, then the whole event, from regionals to nationals sounds like a bogus competition where Sprite/Coke is only worried about the marketing implications and covering their ass.

Perhaps the best solution would be to take the whole event away from this "corporate agenda driven" entity and put it back into the realm of college competitions where the judges would be collegiates with the proper credentials and knowledge of history of the dances/steps to make the correct judging decisions.

IMO, the controversy only underminds the legitimacy of the competition (just like in scoring at the Olympics)
In most cases, active alumnae members do the judging since collegiates are less likely to be completely honest, but I do agree that we need to keep it in house so we have more creative control, especially when we are used mostly for advertising and promotion. Also, getting the word out to all D9 chapters about the qualifying rounds of this competition could have been better planned which is why I believe many of the best teams around the country didn't even compete.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
LOL @ some of my bestfriends are _________.
I know! You beat me to it.
________
HOT GIRLS LIVE

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Banned

Quote:

It was never legitimate as far as I was concerned. I don't like such mass productions based on media appeal and all that nonsense. Their "first ever" will hopefully never be an "annual."
Old 02-26-2010, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I saw that, too.

Quote:

Corporate sponsorship is what makes most of these exhibition/competitions possible, like The Tostitos Fiesta Bowl. And hell, without Tampax, we wouldn't have the national cheerleading competitions!

Old 02-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Banned

Isn't it funny how those who claim to challenge notions of race and prejudice (they aren't challenging racism) use cliches like "it is the 2010...why so serious?" and "some of my bestfriends are (in the NPHC)" Same type of language.

So, congrats on being different, just like everyone else.

As for corporate sponsorship making these largescale events possible, very true. I don't like largescale stepshows. Homecoming shows and local and regional shows are more than enough for me. Sure, more money is won with this Sprite thingies but I think the attempt at "reality tv" buffered the benefits of the money.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
I saw that, too.

Corporate sponsorship is what makes most of these exhibition/competitions possible, like The Tostitos Fiesta Bowl. And hell, without Tampax, we wouldn't have the national cheerleading competitions!
She means that we should just keep it on the collegiate level where we have the most creative control. For years, most stepshows have been held on college campuses where mostly college students and those in the local community attended, sponsored and organized by the BGLO's. These huge productions like the Sprite Step-Off are only a recent phenomenon since the "Stomp the Yard" movie. These big companies could care less about the tradition and culture, just about making money of course.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
She means that we should just keep it on the collegiate level where we have the most creative control. For years, most stepshows have been held on college campuses where mostly college students and those in the local community attended, sponsored and organized by the BGLO's. These huge productions like the Sprite Step-Off are only a recent phenomenon since the "Stomp the Yard" movie. These big companies could care less about the tradition and culture, just about making money of course.
This was my thought from the beginning. I, obviously, have no expertise in stepping, but from an outsider looking in, it is apparent that Sprite was looking for publicity through controversy. They found it...and more than they were looking for, I think. I don't blame ZTA, they are in over their heads. They did the best they could and won for the novelty of it. I don't think that they realized that their actions would be seen as disrespectful. Sprite used them for publicity.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 02-26-2010, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
i can't believe she thought anyone would take her seriously while using that line. lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
It's reaching me and I still don't give a damn. I'm only here for the trainwrecks.
likewise.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseeker View Post
i can't believe she thought anyone would take her seriously while using that line. lmao

likewise.
Actually, I said that because I knew people would get all up in arms thinking that I hate other races or don't care about the D9 organizations. I was making a point that I would have a hard time putting down any of those organizations when I have friends in them. Just like, my cousin is a member of another NPC, and I would never say anything disparaging about them (or any other NPC for that matter). If that makes you laugh, that's great. Good for you. I don't really care what you think about my remark. It was said to make a point. I have friends of all different races (and I am Latino), so I don't want anyone trying to "peg" me as a racist.

I do think that the same people who keep saying that the ZTAs don't understand the roots of stepping or they didn't deserve to win are just making excuses. I feel like the people who say that this ISN'T about race are just lying to themselves. If another D9 organization did some of the same steps and won, maybe they'd get bitched about, but there wouldn't be as much of a stink about it, I don't feel. I think a lot of it has to do with some people feel cheated that this predominantly white organization won a competition that many feel they shouldn't have won.

Either way, I say "Congrats" to the women of ZTA. I also say "Congrats" to anyone who participated in the show. I've seen step-shows at our school and I always admired them. It is hard work and I respect that.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Actually, I said that because I knew people would get all up in arms thinking that I hate other races or don't care about the D9 organizations.

I feel like the people who say that this ISN'T about race are just lying to themselves. If another D9 organization did some of the same steps and won, maybe they'd get bitched about, but there wouldn't be as much of a stink about it, I don't feel. I think a lot of it has to do with some people feel cheated that this predominantly white organization won a competition that many feel they shouldn't have won.
To the underlined point:
That is what makes your comment funny. It is in fact a bit funnier now that you've explained. It makes people want to day "Bless yo po' lil heart" or my personal favorite "Po' lil Tink Tink."

To the bolded points:
Your last point was correct. Many people felt that the predominantly white organization won a competition they shouldn't have won because they were corny and their show was not good enough to win.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Corporate sponsorship is what makes most of these exhibition/competitions possible, like The Tostitos Fiesta Bowl.
In a competition like the Fiesta Bowl, two teams battle it out on the field. Nobody is judging the artistic content of the touchdowns. When and if the Step competitions become physical contests (like a race) with one set of clear winners with no subjectivity, then go back to big corporate sponsorship - otherwise there's likely to be more years of bad results.

When judging gets involved, it can be rife with controversy. In the case of the Sprite Step Show, it sounds like from beginning to end they didn't know what they were doing, hence having to go back and change results, which led to controversy.

They got celebrity judges, because it would make it more "marketable", but the judges had no idea about the context and history of the dance moves, so they went for the "shock" team - "Ooh! White girls dancing in Matrix outfits!" even though it had been done before and with the same steps (and better) according to the other thread.

I'm not taking anything away from the Zetas, I mean, they look pretty good to me! But, I can see where folks might be upset that "their steps" were co-opted. If alumni familiar with the history (and who "owns" the steps) had been judging, they would have been given props for the dance, but the prize would have gone to the original dancers of the steps.

(I've seen Bring It On - you don't use someone else's moves! )
Old 02-26-2010, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
In a competition like the Fiesta Bowl, two teams battle it out on the field. Nobody is judging the artistic content of the touchdowns.
Tangent, because this is a whole other thread....
it's not subjective like you just described, but let's not act like the BCS system is based on the "content (ed: or quantity) of the touchdowns."

the bitter Mizzou fan will STFU now
Old 02-26-2010, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually the AKA's at their school taught them to step, so the K's need to be mad at their sorors and its sad that the validity of ZTA winning is challenged because of ppl whining. they won fair and square, step your game up! Sprite never said the step off was for D9 orgs only and i find it funny how no one said anything about non-black orgs being in it until ZTA won
Old 02-26-2010, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Actually, I said that because I knew people would get all up in arms thinking that I hate other races or don't care about the D9 organizations. I was making a point that I would have a hard time putting down any of those organizations when I have friends in them. Just like, my cousin is a member of another NPC, and I would never say anything disparaging about them (or any other NPC for that matter). If that makes you laugh, that's great. Good for you. I don't really care what you think about my remark. It was said to make a point. I have friends of all different races (and I am Latino), so I don't want anyone trying to "peg" me as a racist.

I do think that the same people who keep saying that the ZTAs don't understand the roots of stepping or they didn't deserve to win are just making excuses. I feel like the people who say that this ISN'T about race are just lying to themselves. If another D9 organization did some of the same steps and won, maybe they'd get bitched about, but there wouldn't be as much of a stink about it, I don't feel. I think a lot of it has to do with some people feel cheated that this predominantly white organization won a competition that many feel they shouldn't have won.

Either way, I say "Congrats" to the women of ZTA. I also say "Congrats" to anyone who participated in the show. I've seen step-shows at our school and I always admired them. It is hard work and I respect that.
tl;dr. i honestly don't care if ure racist or not. and you care too much what people think too. it's a message board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.A.S.K. View Post
"Po' lil Tink Tink."
after the comments you made abt the killer whale and this, i think i hate you.
ctfu