GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,191
2 members and 1,189 guests
FSUZeta, LaneSig
Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush Auburn

I will be a freshman at Auburn University in fall of this year, and I am pretty sure I want to rush for a fraternity. I feel like I'm a little confused though and can't make up my mind. I am worried about getting hazed, and just the general fraternity life, like if I will have time to complete work. I know there are issues with fraternities, but what are the benefits? Could someone tell me what real greek life is like? How many parties do they generally have?
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by autiger; 07-28-2006 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Banned

From what I have been told about the Auburn system, it's pretty good. I've heard stories about the hazing in at least a few fraternities. I don't know how bad it is. The greek system is worth it no matter what. Especially at Auburn and any greek school. Just don't be a GDI at these schools. Have fun and pledging doesn't last that long!

We're only allowed so many parties. Drinking is acceptable and enouraged but that doesn't mean it's an all the time thing. We have one guy who doesn't drink in ours, but in others they have as many as 5 or 6 in their PLEDGE CLASS.

Last edited by ilikehazing; 04-03-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

This sounds fake. Auburn, like any good greek system, will undoubtedly have some "hazing." This is not to say you'll get beaten or even made to embarass yourself, but they do actually participate in activities which require working together and overcoming obstacles. However, if this is a true question, I would encourage you to rush at AU, just like any other SEC school. Those schools contain the best greek life in the country, and you would be well served by going through rush.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Go read the threads in the other forums (fraternity specific, Greek Life, Rush, etc...) These will give you a pretty good idea of Greek life. Odds are, any question you have has been answered there, especially since you'll be at Auburn. Whn all else fails, ask someone from your school. Rush and then decide if it's for you.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Just be careful. A lot of what is described on this board isn't even close to what greek life is right at AU. Won't hurt to read, but be careful not to get the wrong idea.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

From everything I know about Auburn, if you join a top tier fraternity, you are going to be hazed. If you're worried about being hazed, you're not going to be in a top tier fraternity.

My definition of top tier is completely off base with what most of this site considers. I'm thinking of a group of yacked out Greg Marmalards and Woodersons who love nothing more than to act like assholes 95% of their 4 to 7 years of college. Lots of money, lots of tradition, lots of good looking girls and loud country music.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

autiger:

Go through rush, end up where you end up. That's the best advice I can give you. As to hazing, I have no doubt based upon what I know of Auburn that what these guys are saying is generally correct.

If you're not okay with the hazing, be up front about it in rush, it'll slam some doors on you, but honesty is the best policy.

Due to this hazing, your parents will pay a ton of $ for liability insurance. Of course, if these organizations continue to roll the dice as they have been, eventually someone will get hurt. Good luck with rush though.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-20-2006, 11:20 PM

And that's the name of that tune.

Good post, Snake.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

There may be some hazing, but that'll be the price you pay for joining the best chapters in the country (its like that everywhere in the south). Sure, it may be tougher than it is at a private school in Michigan, but trust me, its worth it. When people say hazing they don't mean you're gonna do disgusting things you'll regret your entire life, it means you'll be working with your pledge class to accomplish difficult tasks. It'll be hard, but it'll be fun as hell.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

Shiner -- some of that stuff isn't fun in the least.

I don't know anyone that has fond memories of bows and toes.

Also, I'll throw in my 2 cents on "best" chapters -- they're not for everyone. Smaller, not as good, lower tier (whatever you want to call them) chapters offer a different experience. I'd advise any rushee to keep their minds open going through Rush. The 200 man chapters aren't for everyone -- nor are the 30 man chapters.

This thread almost belongs in the Rush forum. Unless it takes a turn back to RM, I'm moving it.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-21-2006, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

You're right, 200 man chapters arent for everyone, and frankly we dont have any in Auburn. The max will run about 135, but my personal preference would be that mine be more like 85-100. I don't mind the size, but a little less Ithink would be better. Also, I enjoyed pledgeship, i wouldnt wanna do it again, but it was fun, and looking back with the better knowledge i have, I learned a lot. I mean, bows and toes aren't fun, but seriously, I havent seen that in a while. Even good fraternities are adjusting their "hazing," there is much less of the pointless stuff.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Ill agree. I haven't seen bows and toes in a long time.....its mostly just joked about now. I also don't mind bigger chapters 100 - 120 something in there.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhrozenGod01 Send a message via Yahoo to PhrozenGod01
What's "Bows and Toes"?
Old 04-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Banned

Bows and toes is common place at my chapter, and at many of the others on my campus.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhrozenGod01
What's "Bows and Toes"?
"Bows and Toes" may vary somewhat in execution, but basically it is supporting ones self on only elbows and toes.
Closed Thread