GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,341
2 members and 1,339 guests
acg233, naraht

Old 07-08-2008, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
I would have gone but not worried about getting them a gift (since you would not have had time to buy them one).
That's what I was thinking.

I had a co-worker who I had gotten close with pretty quickly and she was getting married about 6 months after she started in our office. A couple weeks before the wedding, she approached me and said she had really originally wanted to invite some of us to the wedding but her MIL had invited so many that she was worried about the capacity of the hall. But, there were a lot of people who couldn't make it and she really wanted some of us to be there if we could. It was clearly a B-list thing but she did come to me and talk to me about it personally and gave me an invite. There were 5 of us that she invited that way. We all went and had a great time. I didn't feel offended in part because we were "work" friends and hadn't done anything together outside of work and she's a sincere type of person so I believe that she really wanted us to be there and not that she was hunting for gifts. They probably had their guest lists set before she even started working in our office and we really had gotten pretty close fairly fast for work friends.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SHEETCAKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
The thing that skeeves me out about the Dr.Pepper/eBay extravaganza is that people act like they're entitled to the wedding of their dreams. She and her baby daddy can't afford a fancy wedding? Do what so many other poor people have done for generations and have a cheap wedding, or elope. An expensive wedding is not a birthright.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEETCAKE View Post
Don't you think a wedding cake would have been a bit more appropriate in this thread? Just sayin...
Old 07-08-2008, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedyAnn View Post
Don't you think a wedding cake would have been a bit more appropriate in this thread? Just sayin...
They can't afford wedding cake, remember?
Old 07-09-2008, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
hehe. i'm getting married by elvis in vegas!
A GD
Old 07-09-2008, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrely girl View Post
hehe. i'm getting married by elvis in vegas!
RaggedyAndy and I were supposed to do that as a renewal for our 1 year anniversary. I had a huge to do at work and couldn't get the time off.

We decided to go for our 5 year with our best man and his wife, since they got married a month after us...she's pregnant. Hopefully hubby and I will still go.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Anyone include the GLO in their wedding plans?

My colors are pink and pink and white (but those have been my favorite forever). I also purchased "Caring Carnations" for each of the Phi Mus who will be there. These are carnation stickers that are purchased from our Foundation at convention. I only have 2 weeks left to think of anything else to add. I would love some ideas.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I did my best to get as close to cream as possible for my roses. I also wore my badge. I had a strapless dress and placed it inside the top of the dress as close to my heart as possible without it being uncomfortable.

At the reception the girls gathered to sing our song "Dreamgirl" and also played our "chapter song".
Old 07-10-2008, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsunshine214 View Post
Yeah, FH's friends don't seem to believe in sending thank yous. We've gone to 2 weddings within his circle of friends and never received one.
OBVIOUSLY you should plan to give any further wedding couples in this group a nice box of beautiful personalized stationery.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

One of my best friends is getting married next August. I'm the MOH and the only bridesmaid. Does this mean I'm paying for the shower all by myself?
Old 07-14-2008, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Unless an aunt or someone wants to help host it it is your responsibility. It doesn't always have to be "costly". It can be as simple as finger sandwiches, tea cookies, cake, punch etc. at 2-4pm. or...
Brunches are nice and don't cost a mint. I'd make mimosa's (OJ & champagne) egg casserole, fresh fruit, croissants or tea bread and that's it.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteASAbug View Post
One of my best friends is getting married next August. I'm the MOH and the only bridesmaid. Does this mean I'm paying for the shower all by myself?
I would talk to the bride's mother to find out the expectations and traditions in that family. Although in name, the shower isn't supposed to be thrown by the bride's mother, the reality in my extended family is that the bride's family covers it. Of course that's not whose name is on the invitation, but that's how it works around here. Then again, our showers are far more formal and large than in some areas too. It is expected that every female invited to the wedding would be invited to the shower and that it include a sit down meal in a catered hall usually with soft drinks and spiked punch. I don't think anybody would expect the MOH to pay for a shindig like that. If I had a simple shower with tea sandwiches at someone's house, my family would be insulted... But we're talking about people who throw a full party at a catered hall with an open bar and a DJ or band for a first communion party!
Old 07-14-2008, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

WOW. I've never been to a shower in Michigan (one of the few states I haven't lived in). That sounds like quite the gala affair.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm having 4 showers. It's official, they're all planned. I don't need 4 showers. What I need is for my magical wedding to-do list to be complete.

I'm going to be driving my butt off btwn VA and MD between the showers and my dress fittings.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi Sailorgirl View Post
I'm having 4 showers. It's official, they're all planned. I don't need 4 showers. What I need is for my magical wedding to-do list to be complete.

I'm going to be driving my butt off btwn VA and MD between the showers and my dress fittings.
WOW! Have you even registered for enough?

As for the to-do list being completed, isn't that something all brides hope for? (I know I do!) How long till the wedding?

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."